Close

Default Smog pump seized. Need help extremely fast, please help.

Okay,

Goin down the road, my smog pump seized. Car can't run obviously. Then I find out my AAA is expired. Can't get a tow truck out. Luckily the guy's yard that I pulled into was really nice and let me leave the car there. I think my dads friend has a tow truck but i'm not sure if he can get out there, the only other thing I can think of is gettin a smaller belt to over ride the smog pump. My 2 questions, does anyone know the size belt i'de need for a stock pulley setup running all the accesories cept the smog pump? And can I bypass it without removing the pump? At least to get me home?

I don't recall the belt size, but you can bypass it, and removing it onlt requires a few bolts to be removed.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

^^^Gotcha. I already pulled the cats so that's all good. I'll remove it once I get the car home but can I loop the belt and bypass the smog pump while it's on there? Also, just to verify, I pulled the belt off and the smog pump didn't spin at all, that makes it seized right? And it had been making this scraping noise on and off since this morning. I couldn't tell if it was the alt or the smog. Now I know. lol

Yea you can bypass it with it on there for the time being it will run right over the top of it. It's been a long time since i've had mine on there but i think there is plenty of room up there for the belt to clear the pump
    1985 Mustang GT:
    347 stroker
    Holley 750 double pumper
    xe274hr comp cam
    Victor jr. intake
    RPM aluminum heads
    roller rockers
    equal length shorty headers
    electric fan
    afco aluminum radiator
    american thunder series flowmasters
    pace setter off road h-pipe
    chrome OEM cobra rims

Yep. Did some google research. Looks like i'm lookin at about an 89.5-90.5 so ima get those and go try em. When it's siezed and still hooked up and I try to turn the car on, is it normal for the car to act like it has a low battery?

Quote Originally Posted by haromaster87 View Post
    Yep. Did some google research. Looks like i'm lookin at about an 89.5-90.5 so ima get those and go try em. When it's siezed and still hooked up and I try to turn the car on, is it normal for the car to act like it has a low battery?
    Yea because it's trying to turn that pump and it can't
    1985 Mustang GT:
    347 stroker
    Holley 750 double pumper
    xe274hr comp cam
    Victor jr. intake
    RPM aluminum heads
    roller rockers
    equal length shorty headers
    electric fan
    afco aluminum radiator
    american thunder series flowmasters
    pace setter off road h-pipe
    chrome OEM cobra rims

84.5 or 85" for an AC/PS car to bypass smog pump. An 85 worked perfect for mine.
    87 Soarer//1jzgte//r154//bw 83-75

Oh, when I had underdrive pulleys, an 83.5 was what it needed. 85 for stock pulleys.
    87 Soarer//1jzgte//r154//bw 83-75

If it actually burned the belt off the car like it did when mine went out the alternator wouldn't have been turning for a while. For some reason 84.5 inches sticks in my mind for the length to bypass the smog pump. You have to route the belt a little differently too.

^^^Yep, I got an 86 and it seems to do good. Maybe a smidge on the big side but the tensioner still holds it tight so I should be okay.

Good stuff! They are, fortunately enough, pretty easy to un-seize though. Take the smog pump off, drench the insides with WD40 through all the orifices, unbolt the pulley and then remove the bolts that hold the pump together. After letting the WD40 soak in for a little while, you will be able to turn it with some force til it starts to loosen up and turn more easily. This has worked almost every time, I think I've only come across one pump that couldn't be un-seized this way.
    SS

^^^If I still had the cats i'de do that, but ima just leave it there for now.

Or you could do that!
    SS

My question is does anyone know what the length it is to bypass the smog pump and with out A/C?????

you can always measure it with a piece of rope or something.. has worked good for me
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

"Luckily the guy's yard that I pulled into was really nice ..."

was it sod or grass? good landscaping? what color mulch?
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Quote Originally Posted by stableboy View Post
    "Luckily the guy's yard that I pulled into was really nice ..."

was it sod or grass? good landscaping? what color mulch?
    Revised- Luckily the guy who owned the yard that I pulled it into was really nice. lol I was in a hurry gimme a break! haha Here's a peculiar thing it's been doin since I bypassed the pump. If the car gets bumped kinda hard, while the engines running, it'll rev to about 2K or a couple sec then come back down. I noticed it when we first got it runnning. It was idling good and all, I dropped the hood from about 10in or so, and as soon as the hood hit, it did that. Also when I had the clutch in and it first hit a speed bump it kinda did it. Any ideas on that?

might want to check the wiring coming from the alternator. since its right above the smog pump, when it seized and broke the belt, the belt could have flopped around and hit a wire. make sure none are frayed and the nuts holding them on the back of the alt are tight
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

^^Amazingly the belt never broke. I heard the belt squeal and put in the clutch VERY fast. As soon as I did this the motor just stalled of course. I really dunno what could make the car rev when it's bumped. lol

Quote Originally Posted by haromaster87 View Post
    ^^Amazingly the belt never broke. I heard the belt squeal and put in the clutch VERY fast. As soon as I did this the motor just stalled of course. I really dunno what could make the car rev when it's bumped. lol
    you got lucky. when my smog pump locked up on me, I was on my was home with my '86 and was still a couple of hours away. I was cruising at 80 mph and felt the car give a jerk and saw smoke out the back. it started overheating instantly. I killed it and coasted to the next exit. I was in the middle of nowhere in west texas. took me another 2 hours of going back and forth to a mom and pop parts store to get a belt to bypass it. btw, a new pump from o'reillys is about $35.
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

^^^Wow man, that really sucks. I was comin home from school. I had just pulled onto the road headin to my area. In all it's about a 15min drive. I was doin about 45 in 4th gear. I had heard the pump scrapin and stuff so I was bein extra cautious. We were listening to The Unforgiven III on the new metallica album and all the sudden I heard the screech. I put the clutch in and muted the music. Everyone was quiet. The screech had stopped so I went to let the clutch out and noticed the car wasn't running. I tried starting it and it just turned over real slow. I was just gonna pop the clutch like you do when you have a dead battery but somethin told me to pull over and investigate. Luckily my real good buddy pulled over to help me and he carries tools so I undid the belt tensioner and checked all the pulleys. She seems to run alot better now that it's bypassed. Since i'm in Fl I have no emmisions concerns so i'll leave it bypassed.