Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Member

Default 82GT Converting to Dual Exhaust

Okay. I have done a search but did not fine too much luck, Maybe its just me but heres my story

A few years ago I have desided to convert my '82GT to dual exhaust due to the fact my original exhaust systems cat was so cloged and loaded with oil from all the previous oil leaks before the motor work cought fire. I desided to conver the whole system to dual exhaust since It would be cheaper and give it the look and sound i've always wanted.

For the few years since I've converted to dual I have just left the tail pipes off because they would have ot be welded because I bought the system used and they were plasma cut off. I have failed inspection due to having no tail pipes so I have attemped to installed tail pipes on the car and I have got the drivers side on with no problems. The passengers side however. I have no 'factory' spot to mount the tail pipe. Fuel lines are TOUCHING the over axle pipe and rear flex brake line is an inch away from the pipe. I have just installed the passenger tail pipe and now I'm scared to drive the car with the lines being so close.

Any other posts I've heard about guys converting to duel exhaust I have never even heard of having these types of problems. I'm so upset with my car even all the work I've put into it. I'm almost thinking about trading it for a newer mustang. Never thought i'd say that but I have no room in my life to have car problems. I'm getting married soon and work as been super slow so not much money is comming in.
    1982 Mustang GT

I'll try to get some pics of my setup for you tomorrow.
    1984 LTD LX
    1982 GT

FEP Senior Member At1Maverick69's Avatar

Here's what i did to my Capri: on the brake line on the driver side I covered it with a silicone hose and never had a problem, same with fuel lines, etc. Hope this helps!

*John*
    1982 GT-$old
    1984 Mercury Capri RS-5.0L, 5 speed, T-Tops-FOR SALE
    1979 Coupe-357ci, auto? stick? COMING SOON
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/At1Maverick

I'm sorry, this is gonna sound harsh.

DO NOT EVER suggest someone solve the problem of a brake line rubbing on the
    exhaust by covering it with something. You feel safe doing that with YOUR family
    in the car, that's your business. But DO NOT EVER take such liberties with someone
    else's life.

I have personally experienced brake failure because the previous owner of one
    of my cars "never had a problem" doing this either, and I didn't realize what they
    had done until after the fact. So this kind of nonsense really pisses me off.

Brakes are too important to half-ass. If you're doing a dual exhaust conversion,
    do it right, using the proper dual-exhaust style brake hose. It's not difficult, it's
    not expensive. So there's absolutely no excuse.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post

exhaust by covering it with something. You feel safe doing that with YOUR family
    in the car, that's your business. But DO NOT EVER take such liberties with someone
    else's life.

of my cars "never had a problem" doing this either, and I didn't realize what they

Brakes are too important to half-ass. If you're doing a dual exhaust conversion,
    do it right, using the proper dual-exhaust style brake hose. It's not difficult, it's
    Easy there tiger, damn! I put that hose there for some added protection, but the fact is, the line is NOWHERE near the tailpipes, I don't see my brake fluid boiling from the line being close to the tailpipes, cuz it isn't. I made it extra certain that my pipes were as far as possible to ANY lines- be it vapor or fluid- specially brake fluid lines. Believe me, it took a bit of elbow grease to do that. And, NEVER did I suggest it to anyone, to do it as I did, Did I? I simply stated what I did with mine, that's it, and showed pics.

But yeah I agree, use a little common sense when doing the dual exhaust conversion, get the lines off an aero car as needed to make it work properly and "safer", don't go by what someone tells you, and try things out yourself.

Now, who's talking nonsense?
    *John*
    1982 GT-$old

The rear line is not just from an 'aero' car. Five-liter Mustangs have had dual mufflers and tailpipes since '85. The line and hose was moved then.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    The rear line is not just from an 'aero' car. Five-liter Mustangs have had dual mufflers and tailpipes since '85. The line and hose was moved then.
    or I shoulda said dual exhaust cars
    *John*
    1982 GT-$old

Yup. Ford moved it over to the center, and I'm sure for pretty good reason. Unless those engineers just like designing stuff for no reason, and the 'bean counters' let it through, wasting millions of dollar in the process.

FEP Member

What about the fuel lines though? Has anyone else had this problem?

I can take a picture later on or tomorow if that helps.
    1982 Mustang GT

I bypassed the the fuel / brake line issue by having the shop run 2.5" duals out the driver's side. It's super tight though; 2" or 2 1/4" would be easier.

Autozone and Advanced sell the rear brake line for dual exhaust mustangs.

AutoZone lists Part#77448 for 83-85 and Part#77615 for 86+

Advanced lists Part#H38434 for 83-84 and Part#77615 for 85+

The hoses price cheaper at AutoZone

http://www.autozone.com/R,2234193/ve...ductDetail.htm
    -John-

79 Mercury Capri RS: 5.0L 5 speed swap
    83 Mustang GT: 5.0L 5 Speed
    83 Mustang GT T-Top: 5.0L 5 Speed
    84 Mustang L: 2.3L 4 Speed
    85 LTD Wagon: 358W 5 speed swap
    87 Mustang LX: 5.0L 5 speed swap

I tried to get a picture of mine for you but the cars too low I couldn't get a good angle. My fuel lines are pretty close to the exhaust though. Now that you pointed it out I'm going to try to find a way to fix them
    1984 LTD LX
    1982 GT

i finally found the body mount(for the brake line on a dual exh car) in the junkyard, i still have not found a banjo bolt though...
    1979 capri, a mess, 86 efi

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by 84ltd View Post
    I tried to get a picture of mine for you but the cars too low I couldn't get a good angle. My fuel lines are pretty close to the exhaust though. Now that you pointed it out I'm going to try to find a way to fix them
    Thats okay. I'm going to try tomorow to take a picture of my problem and try to fix it. I can't drive it the way it is. im too scared it will explode.

I'm supprized I havn't gotten too many responces on the fuel issure, its mostly the brake line, but my flex brake line isn't THAT close to the pipes. about an two or three inches away. but the fuel flex line clamps are RIGHT on the over axle pipe.
    1982 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by MSM0075 View Post
    Thats okay. I'm going to try tomorow to take a picture of my problem and try to fix it. I can't drive it the way it is. im too scared it will explode.

I'm supprized I havn't gotten too many responces on the fuel issure, its mostly the brake line, but my flex brake line isn't THAT close to the pipes. about an two or three inches away. but the fuel flex line clamps are RIGHT on the over axle pipe.

Off top sorry I see you live In NJ too and not that far from me....I work in edison...Well sorry back to the program...
    85 GT...SOLD..............
    1993 GT Convertible.....SOLD
    1998 GT sold.
    1990 GT 5spd SOLD.
    Turbo installed The car is insane!!!!!!
    87 GT Vert.On3 turbo 70mm .68 A/R housing.14 pounds of boost!!! Trickflow TW 170cc heads,TF street heat intake,70mm TB,stock cam,1.6 roller rockers,Snow performance stage 2 meth kit,42# injectors,340 lph fuel pump,tunning with Moates QH,Art car C4,3000 stall.3.55's

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by MY 85 GT View Post
    Off top sorry I see you live In NJ too and not that far from me....I work in edison...Well sorry back to the program...
    Depending on where in edision u work thats 5 to 20 mins away from me.
    1982 Mustang GT

if you use a MAC pro dump system it stops just about 3-4 in short of the rear axle and you dont have to worry about the brake line

Quote Originally Posted by Red84GT View Post
    if you use a MAC pro dump system it stops just about 3-4 in short of the rear axle and you dont have to worry about the brake line
    he has dumps now he needs tails for inspection
    85 GT- w/some bolt-ons
    06 Civic Si-daily drive
    96 Blazer LS-Mail delivery

I had the same problem with my 82 GT. I had a exaust shop custom bend the pipes around the rear end.
    82 GT. Mods so far. 331 stroker,Eagle rotating assy.E cam SRP pistons,World Prod.Roush heads,P.P. crosswind intake,Holly 600 carb,subframe connectors,king cobra clutch,8.8 rear,3.55 gears,T5 trans,Hurst shifter,and more to come.

FEP Member

well i re-routed the fuel lines farther away from the tail pipe.

now for the flex brake line...
    the part numbers listed above. do you have pepboys numbers? theres no autozones or advances near me.

what do i ask for?
    1982 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by blackho View Post
    I had the same problem with my 82 GT. I had a exaust shop custom bend the pipes around the rear end.
    got my headers put on and the collector is not flushmounted to the flange and so is leaking exhaust on one side. yeah i will be going to the local exhaust shop to get some custom bending done and a custom flange added. will post pics soon. thats if i can post more than 5. just wanted to say hope i dont get any trouble along the way myself
    82GTflossin

Rebuilt 302,rebuilt 8.8 w 373s,JBAs, true dual exhaust flowmasters,T5 w/Hurst Short Shifter and a few more xtras..

future upgrades: front/rear coilovers,15:1 rack,4bbl, rebuilding 89 susp with new bushings,85 carb/intake conv,jet glossy black new paint with custom graphics..

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post

else's life.

yeah you are right man. this guy came over to my pad did ****ty work and then charged me like 250bucks! i dont ever want to see or talk to this fool again. the guy left me hanging on jackstands for like 2 months. what a jerkoff this guy is. not too smart either. thats all i have to say
    82GTflossin

Rebuilt 302,rebuilt 8.8 w 373s,JBAs, true dual exhaust flowmasters,T5 w/Hurst Short Shifter and a few more xtras..

future upgrades: front/rear coilovers,15:1 rack,4bbl, rebuilding 89 susp with new bushings,85 carb/intake conv,jet glossy black new paint with custom graphics..

yodaddyz82gt, if I wanted to hear someone put down another person I would turn on the T.V. and watch some political ads. This thread is about MSM0075 and helping him out with his Mustang.
    -John-

79 Mercury Capri RS: 5.0L 5 speed swap
    83 Mustang GT: 5.0L 5 Speed
    83 Mustang GT T-Top: 5.0L 5 Speed
    84 Mustang L: 2.3L 4 Speed
    85 LTD Wagon: 358W 5 speed swap
    87 Mustang LX: 5.0L 5 speed swap

Quote Originally Posted by Ford'sCapri View Post
    yodaddyz82gt, if I wanted to hear someone put down another person I would turn on the T.V. and watch some political ads. This thread is about MSM0075 and helping him out with his Mustang.

Thanks Ford's Capri. And for those who care to find out why My Yodaddyz82gt is bitter. Check out the General BS forum.
    *John*
    1982 GT-$old

FEP Member

hah, thanks guys.

Since we apear to be back on topic i'll requote myself since it might have got lost up top.

Quote Originally Posted by MSM0075 View Post
    well i re-routed the fuel lines farther away from the tail pipe.

now for the flex brake line...
    the part numbers listed above. do you have pepboys numbers? theres no autozones or advances near me.

what do i ask for?
    1982 Mustang GT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast