Close

Default Restoration Advise

I'm going to guess that most of us are on a budget. With that said, I'm thinking of rebuilding my capri....where would you start. With the interior or exterior. Or is there an order of operation that is followed. I'm thinking bout doing all the mechanical work to the vehicle first then getting the exterior completed and then the interior. Also I have a 2.3 litre and I want to keep the 4 banger for a while. Is it even worth keeping and having it rebuilt.
    "Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy Sir."

Well I think its important to know what your starting with. Meaning, whats the current condition of your Capri. Also Its important to know what your Goals are. You need to know what you want to end up with so that you can plan to reach your goals.
    Some people are doing full restorations repainting from top to bottom front to back, and doing everything else in between. Others are daily driving their cars. Some people have super nice all original cars. My point being that everyones needs and goals are different.
    I'd suggest posting some pics of your car and post what your goals are. That'll make it easier for everyone to give good advice.
    Hope this helps a little.
    1985 Capri RS 5.0 5 Speed
    1994 Thunderbird LX 4.6
    1978 Country Squire 7.5
    2004 Mustang GT 4.6

These Guys did a great job breathing life back into this Capri. great thread.
    http://www.vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=58060

This was a great thread on a total resotration. Sadly when I looked up this link the pics were missing. Maybe Captnet will repost them..

http://www.vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=49698

Search around the forum. There are definitly more good photos and threads to check out.
    1994 Thunderbird LX 4.6
    1978 Country Squire 7.5
    2004 Mustang GT 4.6

When i started on my Capri i wanted to do the drive train but my wife insisted that i paint the car first since she could not stand the color & pealing clear coat. After i had done the body & paint work I did a re-carpet, headliner, dye job on the seats & interior plastic panels. I also did a custom sound system with a 10" sub mounted in the spare tire well. Next step for me is a rebuild on the drive train, and a brake upgrade.
    And now, for something completely different!!!!

1979 Mecury Capri RS, 5.0.

Quote Originally Posted by 81capri View Post
    I'm going to guess that most of us are on a budget. With that said, I'm thinking of rebuilding my capri....where would you start. With the interior or exterior. Or is there an order of operation that is followed. I'm thinking bout doing all the mechanical work to the vehicle first then getting the exterior completed and then the interior. Also I have a 2.3 litre and I want to keep the 4 banger for a while. Is it even worth keeping and having it rebuilt.
    If I had to do it all over again I'd gut it from the ground up keeping what I was going to reuse etc but thats just me.

I'll post the pictures a little later...but for now the body of the car is in good shape.....there is no engine or transmission in the car right now....but I have a donar car ready for the transplant. My goals for the car are to upgrade the suspension, braking system, rotors all the way around the vehicle the drums have got to go. Bigger rotors.....the interior is red and has to go...I want to turn the interior black. As far as the powerplant goes I want the car to be a daily driver. I just dont want to drop a V8 in the car just yet.....I have a 30 min drive to work everyday, so the 2.3 litre would be more cost effective as far as gas goes...I want to put a cobra spoiler on the car...I have a GT spoiler but I think the cobra one would look alot better.

Can you guys help me out here. I have a posi rear end with 4:11 gears.....my question is...how much would those gears hurt my pocket in the gas department partnered up with the 2.3 litre if I use the car as a daily driver. Or since the engine is so small that it really wont make that much of a difference that the gears are so big. Oh yeah with a four speed...

Check this link out. It's a good one.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=52225
    1994 Thunderbird LX 4.6
    1978 Country Squire 7.5
    2004 Mustang GT 4.6

Ok. If you're going to daily drive it get the motor and trans in first so you can drive it. Do your maintenence too. Check brake hoses, brakes, ball joints, tie rods, shocks. Make it safe and reliable, then money permitting enlarge the brakes and do your mods.
    I'm no expert on 4.11 gears, but I'm sure something more modest would still use less gas. Do you do alot of highway driving?
    1994 Thunderbird LX 4.6
    1978 Country Squire 7.5
    2004 Mustang GT 4.6

The car will be a daily driver once I get it completed....for now it's going to sit in the garage till then. Once I get the car done I'll be on the highway when I drive to work and back..travel time bout an half hour both ways.....

Then there's my forgotten lil' old restoration...
    http://captocapri101.smugmug.com/gal...67980360_sh54V
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

FEP Super Member

This is a daily driver right. This will be easy.

Drive train and maintenance first. A good reliable car is a must if you plan on using it for DD use.

Next the interior. No fun driving a car to work with a ratty old interior and seat springs poking you in the arse.

Then the cosmetics.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

thanks for all the advise......I cant wait to get started on the car

I'll agree with evil86lx. This is kind of the formula I am following with my Cobra. The body and interior are decent but the engine and engine compartment needed the most work. It helped I came across a motor/computer/harness deal I could not pass up on either. If you are going to do the work or a majority of the work yourself you will save a ton also. I also think I am going to leave the bodywork for last since that will take me the longest to do. Good luck.

Yep, that is how I am going about it too, but with one extra step. I am doing maintenance, full seal kit, including T-top seals, then interior, then exterior, well, some exterior will happen as I come across parts, but paint and body work will be last.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe, 302 swapped
    1982 Mercury LN7
    1986 Ford EXP, custom turbo car
    1926 Ford Model T, Bone stock and mostly original.
    1982 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD Belt Drive

Default thanks

I think I will save the body work for last...start with all my mechanical upgrades and then complete the enterior. It's red now and I need it to be black. I want to upgrade the front and rear suspension....the sway bar...struts and shocks. Pretty much a sports package....I want to get lighter and stronger.

I did the general maintenance, then interior, now the motor and suspension is up next. After the pocket book recovers I'll do paint. Now with that being said if my motor was in better shape I would paint it first, but with 194k on the clock I think it has earned a rebuild.
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

Another way to look at a restoration project is by using the "Have to" ---- "Need to" ---- "Nice to" method.

Here's kinda how it works.

I have to address the rust issues on my lower quarter panels.

I need to replace some hoses that are starting to crack.

It would be nice to reupholster the seats.
    Start with the "have to's" ---- then work to blend in some "need to's" ---- and then start tossing in some "nice to's" and you'll get there.

Dont be afraid to move a "nice to" up the list when you can ---- since those are often fun things. If new badges are on your "nice to" list and you come across a set at a reasonable price, go ahead and get them.

Or...

After you've done some "have to's" and "need to's" ---- but dont feel that you're having any fun with your car and the restoration ---- go ahead and do those new seats or new carpets. Sometimes that will give you the boost you need to get back to the stuff that you cant really see or feel.

Make sense?

Just some thoughts on the topic.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood