Close

FEP Senior Member

Default triangle window on rear door removal.

Is there a trick to getting these out with out breaking them? Also are the seals the same as the L/M and are the wagons different? Cause as you can see in the picture mine are pretty rotted.
    1977 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser

To get the stationary glass out of the door you need to remove the door glass vertical run/channel. That is the black part that I think you are refering to. You need to pull the interior of the rear door apart and remove the door manual/power regulator (the mechanism that makes the window go up/down) that is held to the door frame with large aluminum rivets that you need to drill out. Then you can remove the glass from the horizontal channel (more aluminum rivets to drill out). After the moving glass is out you can remove the vertical run and then pull out the stationary glass. Its a job. You are goint to have to remome all your bright trim moldings and the inner/outer glass belt moldings/seals. You run signifiant risk of damaging all this stuff and I doubt you can find replacement - even used - stuff today.

I cant recall if that part - the vertical run - is exactly the same on F/Zs and L/Ms. I know for a fact that the quarter glass is different. I believe the F/Z 4dr rear doors are the same as L/M 4dr rear doors - glass and all. Its been stated here that the rear wagon doors are slightly different that the 4dr rear doors. Ive not seen that myself but take it on face value. That seal you need will be difficult to find in better shape. And if you take that glass out that little stationary seal at the bottom I remember as being a pain to get out/in.

Its been over 15 years since I took ALL the glass out of my Fairmont (no digital cameras then) but I recall the stationary glass (both in the door and the rear 'quarter' glass) was essentially glued/sealed in with a black caulk-like substance that was a pain to remove (same stuff that holds the windshield and backlite in). Replacement sealant stuff came on a roll. I replaced all the original non-tinted glass in my Fairmont with Ford Carlite tinted glass - harvested from the then plentiful supply of junkyard F/Zs and L/Ms - as well as upgraded to power windows (and door locks/mirrors) at that time. Even could still buy from Ford new bright trim. Could never do all that today. All those cars/parts are gone. Closest you are going to get to new F/Z metal is a set of made-in-china steak knives at Wal-Mart (thats where all our scrap is going).

T
    Last edited by TWR2003; 08-15-2008 at 09:30 PM.

T has it exactly right. I just finished roller painting my Squire, and took all the glass out. Those rear fixed windows are work, to take out, and get back in. And the latch is one tricky puppy to install and remove when the divisionbar is installed. Take a picture of your naked door panel first before you start disassembly. You need to get 1/4" X 20 thread bolts with self-locking nuts. 1/2" long is enough. 3/4" is too long.

I found that F-250 division bar seals will fit. The four door F-250. The rubber surround seals are almost irreplaceable, like T said.

I couldn't find the flocked styrene slider seal, so I got the female side of 2" velcro tape and made my own. You have to trim the slots for the nylon holders in the window track (divisionbar) into the velcro.

Name:  GlassRun01.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  Glassrun02.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  34.8 KB

I used an old 12" long chunk of 2"X4" to hold the door panels apart to get the window/rubber assembly out and back in.

While you're at it, you should undercoat the inside of the door with a spray undercoat (about 1 spray can each for the rear doors and 1.5 for the fronts) The door closes much quieter, and put the sound-deadener tubes back on the rods.

I soaked my latches in vinegar (1 gallon with 1 tablespoon of table salt), after I got the old grease out, soaking them in mineral spirits for a few days. It really cleans off the rust deposits. Then you can use a product like Metal-Ready from Por15 to recoat them with a zinc-type protectant (It's not a primer, just a liquid etcher) to keep them almost as good as new. Use Lithium grease and work the latch before you reinstall it.

When you take pictures, make sure you get pics of the rods installed with the little retainer clips. If they cross over, your door may not open or your window may not go up or down.

Hope that helps!

Norm
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

Ah, one more point! My car was built in Mexico, and the glass was made in Mexico. Ford, Mexico still supplies Cuba, Brazil and other South American countries with glass.

But! It's thicker and darker than US or CDN glass. Some kids shot my rear quarter and tailgate glass with a 22 in my backyard. It took 3 months to get replacements in 2003! $900. My insurance had a $200 deductible. The cops wouldn't even look at the bullet holes!

If you can't find any, You can do what many of the 2-door wagon modders have done and go to a plastics distributor.

Its a 2-sided lexan/plexiglass type with a real glass coating on both sides. I've used it to make my own house windows on the outside pane to avoid kids throwing stones and breaking them. Just make cardboard templates of your glass before you reinstall.

A last option for rear quarter glass is to get a rear quarter glass for the same vintage from a bigger Ford wagon and have a custom auto-glass shop cut it to shape. The curve is the same.
    1979 Ford Fairmont 4-Eyed Squire (Mexican-Built) 3.3 I6 (200 CID) 4-Speed SROD Trans, Tri-Power

I used 79 fairmont wagon run channels in my 84 ltd wagon(rear doors). I have a set of the gaskets for the rear quarter windows for a fairmont wagon if you need measurements to see if they are the same as the sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin' Norman View Post
    kids shot my rear quarter and tailgate glass with a 22

house windows on the outside pane to avoid kids throwing stones and breaking them.
    Winnipeg Manitoba? Rampent youth crime on the arctic circle? You sure you arent from South Boston (or the south Bronx)?

Also hat/flannels/40F - is that on Aug 21? Boston area got up to upper70s/low 80s that day. I think it may have started out a little cool that morning though.

T
    Last edited by TWR2003; 08-23-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    Winnipeg Manitoba? Rampent youth crime on the arctic circle? You sure you arent from South Boston (or the south Bronx)?

Also hat/flannels/40F - is that on Aug 21? Boston area got up to upper70s/low 80s that day. I think it may have started out a little cool that morning though.

T
    You forgot the car heater, the block heater, ice scraper, snow blower and the Prairie Schooner races. They actually race on the Trans Canada highway with sails on the roofs of their cars!

Yeah, it's calming down a bit now, but we have a lot of conflicts with our First Nation's people, just because The Establishment doesn't want to live up to the old Treaties that were signed when we were formed into a Confederation. You can't keep stepping on people and hope they'll just take it. Regardless, they've cleaned out most of our goodies, so now they're stealing in better neighbourhoods and car-jacking Lincoln SUV's.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin' Norman View Post
    You forgot the car heater, the block heater, ice scraper, snow blower and the Prairie Schooner races. They actually race on the Trans Canada highway with sails on the roofs of their cars!

Yeah, it's calming down a bit now, but we have a lot of conflicts with our First Nation's people, just because The Establishment doesn't want to live up to the old Treaties that were signed when we were formed into a Confederation. You can't keep stepping on people and hope they'll just take it. Regardless, they've cleaned out most of our goodies, so now they're stealing in better neighbourhoods and car-jacking Lincoln SUV's.
    So they took your ice scraper for not living up to your treaties? Serves you Canucks right!

T