Close

Default 1985 Mustang GT exhaust?

Tonight I'm looking at a 1985 Mustang GT (auto) with 130k on it for a good deal. I would use it as my daily driver. The owner said everything is original becides the cats have been removed. (Why do people do that on a stock car)) My question is will the cats from the 86-93 work on it if I change the trans crossmember also? I have a few of those around here. Does the 85 CFI have the air pump tube between the cats like the 86-93's?. I'm trying to go cheap and just drive it and fix it with what I have other wise it might not be worth it with crazy California SMOG. I have never had a CFI car should I stay away? Thanks- TR

They will work (if you need cats). You'll need the 86-93 transfer tube to the smog pump...it goes to a different spot than the '85 y-pipe. If you have a 86-93 h-pipe, it will bolt in with the use of the double-hump crossmember. Also, you could get an aftermarket h-pipe with high-flow cats, get a decent cat-back and you'll be good to go. Not sure about the hanger on the tranny...the '85 5-spd one is funky compared to the 86+.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Quote Originally Posted by TR1 View Post
    Tonight I'm looking at a 1985 Mustang GT (auto) with 130k on it for a good deal. I would use it as my daily driver. The owner said everything is original becides the cats have been removed. (Why do people do that on a stock car)) My question is will the cats from the 86-93 work on it if I change the trans crossmember also? I have a few of those around here. Does the 85 CFI have the air pump tube between the cats like the 86-93's?. I'm trying to go cheap and just drive it and fix it with what I have other wise it might not be worth it with crazy California SMOG. I have never had a CFI car should I stay away? Thanks- TR

The 85 is a Y-pipe front and rear with one cat in the middle.
    Only 1 Four eye left now and it is a 64 fairlane 2 door post! Think 408W with Griggs GR350 suspension!

Quote Originally Posted by 85Coupe50 View Post
    The 85 is a Y-pipe front and rear with one cat in the middle.
    Actually my 85 had the Y pipe but 2 cats one up by the motor and 1 down in the middle of the car weird ....Now i have no cats...lol
    85 GT...SOLD..............
    1993 GT Convertible.....SOLD
    1998 GT sold.
    1990 GT 5spd SOLD.
    Turbo installed The car is insane!!!!!!
    87 GT Vert.On3 turbo 70mm .68 A/R housing.14 pounds of boost!!! Trickflow TW 170cc heads,TF street heat intake,70mm TB,stock cam,1.6 roller rockers,Snow performance stage 2 meth kit,42# injectors,340 lph fuel pump,tunning with Moates QH,Art car C4,3000 stall.3.55's

Quote Originally Posted by MY 85 GT View Post
    Actually my 85 had the Y pipe but 2 cats one up by the motor and 1 down in the middle of the car weird ....Now i have no cats...lol

I guess that one is a cat or a pre-cat Mine has both as well.
    Only 1 Four eye left now and it is a 64 fairlane 2 door post! Think 408W with Griggs GR350 suspension!