Close

FEP Member

Default Difference in MSD distributors

I am looking to buy a msd distributor for my 85 mustang and was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the 8582 and the 8598. I need one for a carbed car with the gear for a roller cam. I currently have a digital 6 box and msd coil but am running a duraspark dizzy. I found a deal on a new 8598 on ebay and was going to get it except for I have only used the 8582 in the past and wasn't sure of the differences between them. Thanks

The 8598 comes with a Steel gear the 8582 does not. If you get a 8582 you will need to change out the gear to a MSD-85833, if you are running a roller cam. I bought the MSD-8352 Pro setup, thinking I wouldn't have to change the gear out because I bought the more expensive one and boy was I wrong! I had to buy the new gear for another $70 and putting it on was a total pain in the ass! I had to go to a buddies shop to use his press.

Hope this helps,
    Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

FEP Member

OK So the only difference is the gear itself. So it would be better to go ahead and get the one that comes with the steel gear, save money in the long run. Is there any way to tell which gear I have on my duraspark distributor just by looking at it? Is there a visual difference between the iron gear and the steel one?