Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coupe spoiler

Default Coupe spoiler

I know alot of people insist that coupes shouldn't have any kind of spoiler at all, but I've always wanted a simple ducktail spoiler. After searching and not finding what I really wanted, I've decided to try my hand at making one. I have a co-worker who has some experience in making surfboards, so I asked him for a few pointers. Here are some pics of my progress so far:

I started by cutting up a sheet of pink foam insulation into strips and gluing them together after removing the protective skin from them. I put weights on the stack to conform it to the trunk lid as the glue dried.

Rough shape, done elbow grease & a cheesegrater file. My garage looks like a pink blizzard hit it.

After some shaping with sandpaper, still need to sand a little more to get the shape I want, knock down the hard edges, etc. After that I will start laying fiberglass over it. I'm going to make some reinforced areas in the bottom for threaded inserts too. It looks big in the pics, but it's just over 2 1/2" tall.
    Last edited by Capriman86; 01-10-2011 at 04:55 PM.

MAN!!! Somebody beat me too it! I have a mold guy in AZ who I've been talking about this exact thing for about a year and a half. The rough foam actually looks pretty good! Are you making production molds? There's never been a good lookin' wing that looks good for a coupe (in my opinion) yet. Nice job. Look forward to the finished piece.

J
    John McBride

Midnite Octane - "Fuel Your Imagination!"
    www.midniteoctane.com

Nice job! I like that "ducktail" spoiler.
    Make a few i'm sure they'll sell.

-RICH-
    84 CAPRI RS FOR SALE
    i'm a car junkie - i love junkie cars

FEP Power Member

McLaren Spoiler.

Just enough to notice, not enough to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGMachine View Post
    MAN!!! Somebody beat me too it! I have a mold guy in AZ who I've been talking about this exact thing for about a year and a half. The rough foam actually looks pretty good! Are you making production molds? There's never been a good lookin' wing that looks good for a coupe (in my opinion) yet. Nice job. Look forward to the finished piece.

J
    Thanks. I'm kind of learning as I go, I have no experience on pulling a mold from something. I may try it after this one's done.

I was sort of afraid of this topic based on the title but I'm kinda likin' it. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
    1986 Black GT with T-tops

FEP Power Member

Link

Here is a nice subtle one....

Thanks, but I don't really like that spoiler. I'd like one similar to a '68 Camaro or an AAR 'cuda, more "vertical" I guess.

Plus No 3rd brake light please

-RICH-
    84 CAPRI RS FOR SALE

"Mustang Marty" has some kinda 87+ special edition spoiler on his 79 coupe.. i like it
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

Nice job on that! I wonder how it will hold at speed.

Griggs makes a cool ducktail spoiler. It is for the SN95s tho. One of the guys we race with has it and it is really nice. I wanted it for my coupe, until I saw the price! I bet you can have that made for cheaper!

http://www.griggsracing.com/product_...roducts_id=426
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

My friend has a modified SS Monte Carlo spoiler on his notch and it looks awesome!!!!!!

I can't wait to see the final product here...looks neat...

AFLAC !
    '83 glx vert with '82 gt frontend

if you aren't trying to blow the horn with the signal lever and reaching for the key release button on your other vehicles,you're not driving the fox enough !

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    My friend has a modified SS Monte Carlo spoiler on his notch and it looks awesome!!!!!!

I can't wait to see the final product here...looks neat...
    That's what I was initially looking for, but I couldn't find one cheap since I was going to cut it up. I took some measurements on one & it was wider. So far I'm $18 into this one (I already had the sandpaper & blocks, etc.), I haven't bought any resin or cloth yet. I've got the shaping done, I'm going to go back & notch out the bottom of the spoiler where it hangs off the trunk lid. That way it won't hit the quarter panels if I slam the trunk. Here are some pics, I'd pull the car outside but all the suspension is out of it right now.

RichV, I plan on reinforcing areas on the bottom where the threaded inserts are going so I would think it would be fairly strong. It's also fairly short so I don't think it will be out in clean air. Griggs did make a fox coupe spoiler for a short time, but they are hard to find now. This is one:
    Last edited by Capriman86; 01-10-2011 at 04:56 PM.

I don't like spoilers on coupes either, but I can't wait to see this one done, looks interesting.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

i just saw a new "08 i think" Chevy Malibu SS with a ducktail spoiler, looks good the spoiler that is.

i didnt have my cam with me at the time

-RICH-
    84 CAPRI RS FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by gdniel View Post
    I don't like spoilers on coupes either, but I can't wait to see this one done, looks interesting.
    Ditto!

I'd like to see you finish the OEM-like sculptured spoiler. i think it'd look fantastic. Generally I don't think any of the spoilers that are sold for coupes today look good at all. The ductail would look great if you can give it an OEM look where it follows the lines. I think the laid back angle and height look great. Look forward to a finished product.

As far as the Griggs one, it doesn't look finished and looks flimsy. Something that might make it look right is about 4 adjustable stantions or struts that support the wing kinda like a NASCAR wing.

John
    John McBride

www.midniteoctane.com

I can't say I ever liked a spoiler on a coupe, but yours looks interesting so far
    http://www.foureyedfoxbody.com

'83 Mustang
    '95 Crown Vic
    '05 F-150
    '00 Lincoln LS

FEP Super Member

Made one similar for my 88 coupe.........looked almost like an 03 Cobra spoiler as it just (and I mean just) accentuated the trunks already present 'hip'.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

I like it, but then again, I like simple spoilers on the coupes.
    1985 Mustang 5.0 coupe - dad's
    1983 Mustang GT sold deeply missed
    1981 Mercury Capri sold, not so missed (too far gone)
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

Nice job (i should have never sold my coupe) should turn out awesome!
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

That Griggs one is badass. Not for $400 tho. I could find much better things to spend $400 on. One of the 4th Gen Camaro racers fabbed one up with plexiglass that looked pretty decent. I may try that route. Dunno yet.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

tell you what guys, since I am holding off on the pace car 3-piece front air dam, I would be glad to proceed with tooling a bolt on fiberglass OEM quality ductail for coupes and convertibles. I know I could get costs well below $400.

John
    John McBride

www.midniteoctane.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGMachine View Post
    tell you what guys, since I am holding off on the pace car 3-piece front air dam, I would be glad to proceed with tooling a bolt on fiberglass OEM quality ductail for coupes and convertibles. I know I could get costs well below $400.

John
    I'd definitely be interested in one. JunkyGT's is coming out great so far.
    84 Coupe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast