Close

Thread: fan clutch bad?

Default fan clutch bad?

would a bad fan clutch cause my car to overheat at idle? It creeped up to 230* it has a 2yr old radiator,new pump, mrgasket thermostat i dont know what else it could be.

Take a rolled up newspaper and CAREFULLY edge it into the fan, if you can stop the fan, your clutch is shot.

-Mike

That would depend on whether it's up to temp or not.

Overheating at idle, but not when the car is moving is often a sign of a bad fan
    clutch, -but- the fan clutch needs hot air to get it to engage. I've seen radiators
    that were clogged cause the same problem. With the engine up to temp, shut it
    off, and immediately feel the radiator core directly in front of the fan clutch. If it's
    cooler than the surrounding area, you've got a clog. A non-contact IR thermometer
    is an even better tool for this, if you don't wanna risk burning yer fingers...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune