Close

Default CFI, AOD, and roller cams

I'm thinking about putting a carb'd roller cam engine (with a few bolt-ons) in my 85 Capri which has an AOD auto, which means it also has CFI instead of a carb. I've wondering about two things. First, will the AOD stay together behind approx 250 hp vs the 180 it deals with now? Second, will the CFI continue to function normally on top of a roller cam motor?
    Thanks,

Keith
    86 ASC Capri 'vert #0001
    86 ASC Capri 'vert 3.8 v6
    85 GPIV - The Official Pace car
    85 ASC Capri 'vert - black
    85 ASC Coupe - modified
    85 ASC coupe - roller
    83 Crimson Cat - V6
    66 Cobra replica

what's done to the engine? cfi really has no performance potential, get a carb or convert to sefi. they have kits to adapt the aod to a carb. as far as the aod goes i don't know how long it will last. a quality shift improver kit might help it last longer. i would personally be more concerned about the 7.5 axle in it.

cale

The AOD will be fine...for a while. Have it built right when it burns out and it will last forever afterwards.

The CFI will work just fine too, but if you keep this don't expect the big increase in hp over what you already have. To see the increase that you want you will need to go SEFI or carb for your induction system.

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

I wouldn't worry about the AOD. The CFI is going to be a bottleneck to making any real power so I personally wouldn't spend too much money on bolt-ons other than maybe exhaust.....but thats just me.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400