Close

FEP Member

Default My Capri is back on the road with 26 psi!

After being off the road for upgrades for the most of the last 5 years my Capri is back on the street. It's a 1980 RS turbo That I got for $50 with no motor/tranny and a trashed interior. The car gutted weighs around 2750 with me in it and just got a fresh round of upgrades The basic parts are an EFI 2.3 turbo, turbo coupe T5, turbo coupe 3.54 8.8 . The motor is a stock bottom end with a home ported big valve head A-237 cam, dual springs a ported inline lower intake with a custom upper intake and 65mm TB. An HX-35W Holset is mounted to a custom equal length twin scroll stainless header with a Tial 38mm waste gate. Exhaust is 3.5" with a dynomax ultraflow muffler. The intercooler is out of an F250 powerstroke and has 3" plumbing with a custom blowoff valve. The fuel system is 3/8" aluminum lines with a 255hp pump, 75pph injectors and is controlled by a holley commander 950. There is much more tuning to be done but that might have to wait because the 225-60-15 street tires on the car now don't stand a chance in second gear from a roll. The car is still on 2 year old 92 pump gas so there is some pinging but it will get a fresh tank of 92 soon. Even with the old gas and without a good tune the car is a monster the twin scroll makes the boost come on extremly hard at 3000 rpm and then the tires spin. By the time I can get off the throttle I am bumping the 7000 rpm limiter. So any of you that have a long standing project keep at it. The pay off will be good. The car ran a best of 12.66 on stock electronics with a stock head and a ranger cam and up to the point the tires let go it feels much faster now.
    1980 Capri RS turbo 11.42@120 Just a four cylinder street car.

I'm very curious to see pictures of this thing!!

FEP Member

My camera is not working right now so I don't have any pics of it finished but here are some pics of the build. All the wires are cleaned up now and there are a couple more things finished but you can get an idea.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2182190

Some pics of what I started with and the first junk yard hack together 12.66 setup and a couple of the old turbo coupe.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/545889
    1980 Capri RS turbo 11.42@120 Just a four cylinder street car.