Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Special Service Mustang pics

Figured I'd start the thread off. Here's a pic of my '83 Colorado car when it was in-service (I tracked down the officer who drove my car and he sent it). I've got 5 SSP cars total, and 4 of them are 4-eyeds.

Lets see some more pics.

Mike
    '82 SSP
    '83 Colorado State Patrol SSP
    '83 Texas DPS SSP
    '85 Florida Highway Patrol SSP

www.SpecialServiceMustang.net

imevil1, can you send me pix of any of your other ssp vehicles? i would love to see them. mustangjames_85@yahoo.com
    85 gt- weiand blown @ 6 psi, gt40 x's, e-cam, crane 1.7's, bbk l/t's, holley 650 dp, msd pro billet dist, msd btdm box, pulleys, 5 spd, 3:73's, @2900 lbs.

Here is the 84 SSP (Washington State Patrol) that I owned from 1993-1998

79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

Here is a link to some I have posted earlier. I will to rescan them and post them in here since the quality isn't that good.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=59179
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

FEP Senior Member

Default SSP Car

Here is my 88 Saleen Oregon State Police Car
    Last edited by saleenjunky; 01-25-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 8duallup View Post
    imevil1, can you send me pix of any of your other ssp vehicles? i would love to see them. mustangjames_85@yahoo.com
    PM sent.
    Mike
    '82 SSP
    '83 Texas DPS SSP

Quote Originally Posted by saleenjunky View Post
    Here is my 88 Saleen Oregon State Police Car
    Very nice!! Hard to beat the rarity of that one.
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Default my 85 Kentucky State Police SSP

One of only 10 cars purchased in 1985 by the state of kentucky.

Here's some historic and recent pics of my 83 NCSHP Mustang. I've been able to track down the history of this car since production. Long story short... this is the second and LAST time I've owned this car. It was my first Mustang, it's not getting away from me again.

Here are pics from the Trooper who drove it in service. It tangled with an F100.

Here's the car in 92 when my wife and I married.

The owner after me converted it to drag racing.

Here it is in my shop after I located it. Been sitting outside for years.
    79 Capri RS 5.0/AOD | 82 CHP SSP #0513 5.0/SROD | 82 Capri Tu-Tone 4.2/C5 | 83 NCSHP SSP 5.0/SROD
    84 FHP SSP 5.0/T5 | 84 LTD Wagon 3.8/AOD | 85 LTD LX 5.0/AOD | 88 GT 5.0 Turbo/T5

My avatar pic is my '84 WSP car. It was invoiced #3 on an order of 40 (total).
    I also have an '88 OSP car with a wierd history.
    1984 WSP SSP
    1988 Oregon SSP
    1988 GT 347
    1999 GT LE
    And Herbie! No, really!

I guess I know very little about the SSP cars. I know most you can tell by wheels, interior diferences, spotlight holes, and some special service stickers. But, a lot of the pics posted look like regular notches. Is there a registry or documentation on these cars?

The 88 Saleen, looks just like any other Saleen coupe, how do you know it is SSP?

A buddy of mine is thinking about CMC'ing a Fox notch and do up the scheme as a SSP Stang. That would be cool!
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

If you have any questions these are the guys to ask: http://www.sspmustang.org/
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

FEP Senior Member

Default SSP

I know my Saleen is a SSP car by the Buck Tag,6 digit DSO,and the fact that is listed in the Saleen registry as one.It has the relocated trunk release and aircraft style hose clamps but most of the special stuff was removed by Saleen when they did the conversion.

Interesting, so it was a SSP 1st, then a Saleen? Was it just some sort of coincidence? Or did the car actualy serve on the force?
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

http://www.sspmustang.org/FAQ.htm

The Saleen/SSP connection:

In 1988, the Oregon State Police had 34 coupes ordered through Damerow Ford in Beaverton, OR. The order subsequently got cancelled, and the dealer was left with 34 unsold cars! As you can imagine, this is not a good situation for any auto dealer, and they scrambled to find a solution.

Saleen Autosports, noted producer of high performance Mustangs, came to the rescue. 17 of the coupes were sent to Saleen for the full treatment, including vehicle ID, rear spoiler, ground effects, interior upgrades, and of course the legendary performance treatment. Quite unusual, Saleen only produced 77 coupes. These cars may have started life to catch those exceeding the 55 MPH limit, but ironically the opposite probably became true!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P View Post
    If you have any questions these are the guys to ask: http://www.sspmustang.org/
    They're not the only game in town.
    www.specialservicemustang.net
    Bernie,
    1986 Utah Highway Patrol SSP
    1993 FHP813 SSP
    http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w...SSP%20Mustang/

WWW.SPECIALSERVICEMUSTANG.NET

I know my Saleen is a SSP car by the Buck Tag,6 digit DSO,and the fact that is listed in the Saleen registry as one.It has the relocated trunk release and aircraft style hose clamps but most of the special stuff was removed by Saleen when they did the conversion.
    Any pictures?
    Bernie,
    1993 FHP813 SSP

FEP Senior Member

Default SSP

FoxChassis is partly correct on his account.The real story is in the Saleen Book by Brad Bowling.Dave Frezza At Dameow Ford In Oregon got a state bid to order 17 police cars.At the time Mustang 5.0 were selling like hot cakes so he came up with the idea to put the order in for the 17 cars.When the order was confirmed by Ford he told his secretary to place the same order again.Then they called Ford and said oh we made a mistake and placed the same order twice.Ford said sorry your mistake you are stuck with the cars.Now the dealership had 17 extra Mustangs to sell.At the time they were one of the top Saleen Dealers so they decided to send them to Saleen for Conversion.Well only 14 cars would fit on 2 carriers so that is all that went and the remaining 3 went on the lot to be sold as is.The first 17 went into service.There was actually 59coupes buit by Saleen.1/87,25/88,20/89,8/90,4/91,1/93.

FoxChassis is partly correct on his account.The real story is in the Saleen Book by Brad Bowling.Dave Frezza At Dameow Ford In Oregon got a state bid to order 17 police cars.At the time Mustang 5.0 were selling like hot cakes so he came up with the idea to put the order in for the 17 cars.When the order was confirmed by Ford he told his secretary to place the same order again.Then they called Ford and said oh we made a mistake and placed the same order twice.Ford said sorry your mistake you are stuck with the cars.Now the dealership had 17 extra Mustangs to sell.At the time they were one of the top Saleen Dealers so they decided to send them to Saleen for Conversion.Well only 14 cars would fit on 2 carriers so that is all that went and the remaining 3 went on the lot to be sold as is.The first 17 went into service.There was actually 59coupes buit by Saleen.1/87,25/88,20/89,8/90,4/91,1/93.
    Exactly....per the Saleen book. That wasn't Fox's info....he cut and pasted it from the ORG website.
    Mike
    '82 SSP
    '83 Texas DPS SSP

Quote Originally Posted by FHP813 View Post
    They're not the only game in town.
    www.specialservicemustang.net

Thanks for the link, Berno.
    Last edited by imevil1; 08-02-2008 at 11:15 PM.
    Mike
    '82 SSP
    '83 Texas DPS SSP

Quote Originally Posted by imevil1 View Post
    Exactly....per the Saleen book. That wasn't Fox's info....he cut and pasted it from the ORG website.
    Any chance on getting the corrected version posted on somebody's 'site?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Any chance on getting the corrected version posted on somebody's 'site?
    You could email the webmaster over there and request the change. I doubt it would happen, though.

We try to focus on providing verified info and restoration assistance on cars that actually saw police service on our website.
    Mike
    '82 SSP
    '83 Texas DPS SSP

Default new area

great to see the SSP get some recognition here on 4EP.

I am pretty much addicted to them and have been collecting them for about 12 years now. I have some pictures of a few of them here.

http://public.fotki.com/Nodrama/

enjoy and there will be more pictures posted soon...
    Jim

Fox body cop car collector.

FEP Member

Default 85 KSP

One of the ten for Kentucky. Car was in service in Laurel County Kentucky.
    Last edited by 85ksp; 10-12-2008 at 08:05 PM.

That last pic is awesome!!! Here's my '86 Utah highway patrol SSP waiting for yet another primer\blocking session.

Bernie,
    1993 FHP813 SSP

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast