Close

Default Mark VII 84-90 91-92 difference in brakes?

Ok so I bought some calipers from the local parts store I bought them for a 91 mark VII. Then I found out that there is a different part numbers for the 84-90, 91-92. Did I by the right calipers or should I take them back and get the caliper for something like a 89 Mark VII? Does it really matter? Anyone know what the difference is between the two of the them? Please help?

OK, guessing this member isn't even on here anymore after 12 years...but found this in search for a different reason. Only because I've been through this and took me awhile to learn it myself! And seems like not enough people know it, but yes.

84-90 Mark VII's have a 54mm rear caliper (I forget the manufacturer), shared with the SVO setup
    91-92 Mark VII's have a 45mm rear caliper (no I'm not dyslexic), made by Varga, shared with the 93 Cobra Mustang

Good info
    Thanks!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

There should also be a difference in the size of the rear rotors, IIRC.

The older stuff is larger. (11.3," vs 10.5")
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Yeah, another tidbit of info not a lot of people know!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

The SVO/Lincoln rear calipers are from Kelsey Hayes.

Every single part between two brake systems above are different from each other.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

after 12 yrs...... I hope he fixed his brakes lol
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    The SVO/Lincoln rear calipers are from Kelsey Hayes.

Every single part between two brake systems above are different from each other.
    When you say 'brake systems' however, I thought the front 73mm calipers and Master Cylinder were the same though, it was only the rears that were different. Is that not the case? Are 91-92 Front calipers and Master Cylinder also different than the 84-90?

>> 84-90 Mark VII's have a 54mm rear caliper (I forget the manufacturer), shared with the SVO setup
    >> 91-92 Mark VII's have a 45mm rear caliper (no I'm not dyslexic), made by Varga, shared with the 93 Cobra Mustang

Looking up the rear brake sizes and master cylinders....... The SVO and Mark VII had a 73MM front caliper and a 1.125" master cylinder

didn't verify but the later Mark VII should have had a 60MM front caliper and a 1" bore master cylinder given the rear caliper size.

I will say from experience that a 1" bore direct bolt-on master cylinder is available that doesn't need any adapters for our foxes. M1525 is what Autozone calls it. Oreily calls it 10-1525.

What's very confusing to everyone is that the 93 Cobra brakes came in two forms. The R code and the street car. Both systems entirely different and not compatible with one another for the most part.

R-code .... I have not gotten a chance to look at them in detail. They were 5 lug cars and AFAIK their brakes were mostly made up of yet to be released SN95 parts. (including SN95 spindles and the practice of using a stupid hardened washer based spacers on the fox balljoint AFAIK) They had a wider track width in back like you get if you swap a 94-98 SN95 rearend into a foxbody which is basically what Ford did. The rear track width was 3/4" per side wider than a normal fox. The front was 1/8" wider per side. 94-95 SN95 17" tribar wheels were used in a murdered out black paint scheme with a polished outer lip and a chrome cap.

The street car - everything I've read and seen says they were all 4 lug. Shared a wider track width in common with the tbird. AFAIK the rear brakes were mostly derived from the 87-88 Turbo coupe parts bin with the front brakes being standard issue 87-93 V8 Mustang brakes with a rotor that had a 3/4" taller hat so the same wheel offset could be ran in all four corners. directional wheels unique to the 93 cobra streetcar were used.

a 45MM rear caliper appearing on a MarkVII is seldom ever discussed but factually is true. Its a good part in the right circumstances for a brake upgrade on a fox too.