Close

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thanks for the reply Paul, like I said keep up the good work!!

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by lxcoupe86 View Post
    Question, what was needed to get the Meziere pump to work with the stock alternator and a/c brackets? It appears that the a/c bracket has been worked a little bit at the bottom left?
    Yes, I needed to cut away some of the stamped steel plate to get it to clear. It wasn't that bad, just a bit time consuming to get it to not look crummy. Other than that, it wasn't bad at all. It also uses a few less bolts that an OEM water pump, which means I had a couple ARP fasteners left over.

Quote Originally Posted by 86GT2go View Post
    Well Paul, I use the entry-level (for the moment..as funds made from coating are going to the purchase of the next level gun) gun from Eastwood, and their powder. I also use a home oven, and have since located two more ovens that will get cut, welded together, and wired up to form one larger unit.
    As for powder application; do you preheat your parts (about 160-200 degrees seems to work well for me) before you spray them, and at what pressure does your gun shoot (mine sits at 20-25psi static, then drops when I pull the trigger)?
    We basically have the same setup then. Since I haven't really charged anyone for coating, I pay for all of this stuff out-of-pocket so upgrades will be slow to arrive for me. I might be selling a few things someday to try to recover some of the cost of supplies - I just don't want this to become a "job."

Yes, I preheat all my parts before coating, and I set the regulator on my compressor to 16 psi when I coat - then I adjust the flow on the gun a bit until I get it where I want it.

Paul.

Mike Croke

I started putting the T-5 back together using a rebuild kit from Bob Hanlon last weekend. After getting the countershaft into the case, I was stumped as to how much endplay the countershaft should have. There was no information in the manual from Tremec's website so I called Bob on Monday. Unfortunately, he was out but did call me back on Wednesday to explain all the details. Very good guy to deal with.

Resumed the rebuilding today and it's all back together. All I need now is the engine from the machine shop.

Since this T-5 is from our '84 Turbo RS Capri, it is a non-world class trans. On the NWC T-5, the countershaft does not have tapered roller bearings. Instead, it only has roller bearings. The result is there is no retaining plate at the back of the countershaft for the bearing. Notice there are no threaded holes to allow a retaining plate.

Another difference is that the NWC transmission does not have needle bearings between the speed gears and the main shaft. Instead, the gears spin directly on the mainshaft and get lubircated via channels on the shaft.

So, after getting it all back together here is the result:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Huge thanks to Paul for what we now call "powercoating" as this transmission is clearly worth at least another 30rwhp just because it looks so good. Almost a shame to put in under a car.

There are some more pictures here. Clicking each picture will make it larger up to 1600 x 1200.

Needs more fancy CNC shifter base.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Neither here nor there

car will be so jeffclean you won't want to drive it.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Mike,

It looks really good! Was that your first time rebuilding a tranny? I've still got to rebuild my Tremec and I'll have my brother's help, but I think I may want to tackle it by myself and have him kind of "look over my shoulder".
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Mike Croke

It does need a better shifter as that is the stock '84 one. Looooonnnnnngggg throws. And it's dirty. Need either a new one (most likely) or a serious cleaning.

Pete, I've done plenty of T-5s but never one of these non-world class units so I was doing a lot of learning. Previously when I've torn into transmissions, it was on world class boxes and I was replacing broken gears or replacing synchros. Specifically, I broke my original '86 GT T-5 six times before I finally quit powershifting. On that transmission, I never replaced the synchros, only the gears I was breaking. I've done basic rebuilds to install new synchros for a lot of friends. I've had no reason to take apart my TKO yet.

The boxes are intimidating the first time you open one up, but if you're methodical in disassembly, it's not bad. Do it a couple times and you'll be comfortable enough to do it in your sleep.

Paul "powercoated" the bellhousing to match the T-5 as well.

FEP Supporter

Awesome Croke! I'm glad the tranny is back together so quickly. That thing looks waaaay different inside than the one we did for my car. Glad you got it all figured out. I take it all of the gears inside were in good working order?

Everyone is right - we're going to need to try to find you an aftermarket shifter. I'll start perusing the Corral to find a nice used one for cheap. I'll sell some powdercoated stuff and maybe we can get one for free with the profit.

I can't wait for the Capri to be back together. Hopefully we can get the notch running at the same time and our powercoated transmissions can race!!!!

Paul.

Mike Croke

Some more progress on the '84 Turbo RS. A few weeks ago, Paul came over to help mask the engine for more powdercoating. When I pulled the engine out it looked like this:

I took the engine to a machine shop along with the "new" junkyard Turbo Coupe engine Paul and Richard pulled and delivered. The shop tanked the block and head and then I brought the empty head and block home. Paul and I masked the good block and head prior to powdercoating:

I got the engine back from the powdercoaters today:

After removing the masking, I took the block and head back to the machine shop so we can have a running engine soon.

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Wow.... Impressive.....
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Agreed, that is most cool! What are you doing for a cam?
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

Mike Croke

Probably staying with the stock cam for now. If I want more power, I can go for higher boost. Also, from what I read on the interwebby, unless there is extensive head work, cams will shift the powerband up and down but not really change the real power output.

With the FMIC, I should be able to really pressurize this thing.

Neither here nor there

Looking great Mike!!!
    Pauls doing a great job too.

Blog Entries

Although we are not going to be using the valve cover, this shot shows the color and texture a lot better, but it still doesn't look quite like it does in person. Mike's shots make the whole thing look uniformly light grey or something.

A few more shots here: http://www.evlgt85.com/gallery/v/car...coated_engine/

FEP Supporter

Hopefully the Turbo Capri will run about the same time as my POS coupe - then we can race!!

The Capri will have unparalleled Croke awesomeness.

Paul.

Sweet!!! I had no idea you could powdercoat an entire engine, but after thinking about it, there's no reason it shouldn't work as long as its clean!!

Very cool. Look forward to seeing it in person in the not too distant future.
    -Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

Very nice work.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

I think you can powdercoat anything, well with the right equipment.

Engine colors look pretty cool btw.
    1984 Capri RS 5.0 (deceased)
    1994 F-150
    2001 Mustang Bullitt
    2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser (son's ride)
    2008 Mazda Tribute

FEP Senior Member quarterstang86's Avatar

Impressive...
    - Richard

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by jonas1022 View Post
    I think you can powdercoat anything, well with the right equipment.
    ...anything that can hold an electrical charge (i.e. metal) and withstand 400 degrees for a half hour.

Just amazing!!! Great work guys!
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Very nice work. I was unaware that the belt tensioners could be powder coated due to the fact that I was unsure whether or not there was plastic inside that could take the heat of the oven.

FEP Supporter

So today was the first nice day in Phoenix in months since the heat has FINALLY broken. Croke has been dedicating many weekends to the revival of my notch recently, and so little progress has been made on his accessory stuff. I decided to make an effort today and spent all day bead blasting.

It's not much, but at least most of this stuff is ready to powdercoat. After seeing it in the bright lights of my garage I need to touch up a few things in the blast cabinet before powdercoat, but at least the bulk of it is done.

Hopefully I can get this stuff coated soon, and get it back to Croke before he gets the engine back from the machine shop.

Paul.

Mike Croke

The day before Xmas, Paul came over to our house with boxes of powercoated parts. He returned yesterday with more stuff and we spent much of the day assembling and mocking up pieces.

The Turbo RS originally used v-belts but the donor engine is from a later Turbo Coupe and thus has serpentine bits. We have been trying to fit things together and get the right fasteners back in their proper places. Paul brought his bench grinder with wire wheel and spent hours just cleaning and organizing the bolts. He even generously provided these boxes with the fasteners sorted.

Wow its good to see people taking the time to do something right Great Job

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast