Close

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    No way. Only Ferraris can possess such a finish. Even the mighty and powerful Croke cannot harness such epic levels of awesome.
    Write a letter to Subaru
    No matter where you go, there you are

FEP Super Member

Glad to be of observational assistance Paul!
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

Mike Croke

Quote Originally Posted by 86GT2go View Post
    OK Ron.......if you say the intercooler works well in that spot (remember, you do not have fog lights blocking the holes in your nose) I will believe you. Your car is sexy and gets me to work on mine.

Mike, I was just giving you crap.......I know you aren't up there in boost level, so what is showing will cool the charge nicely. And as for the SVO interHEATER placement; it worked fine at cruise speeds, but soaked the intake with heat while low-speed cruising or sitting still.

Intercooler mounting is not as dependent on air flow as the engine coolant radiator. This is because of several things.
    The intercooler has less heat to dump to the ambient air compared to the engine coolant radiator. For example, on a 4 cylinder engine, the water pump is moving something like 200lbs (~25 gallons) of water per minute. The intercooler would be handling about 30lbs of air. The difference is the water is a lot denser than the air through the intercooler and so the radiator has to reject a lot more heat. In fact, the intercooler and the a/c condenser can be mounted in front of the coolant radiator without causing the engine coolant to overheat. In Phoenix, in July.

Another point is the intercooler only needs to "function" when the incoming air is compressed beyond ambient pressure. If there is no boost, there is no heat added to the incoming air. The engine radiator always is carrying away heat, even at idle. The intercooler returns to ambient temps pretty quickly once un-boosted air resumes flowing through it.

Intercoolers (like this big front mount) can soak up a lot of heat from the compressed air even with no air moving across in comparision to the engine's coolant radiator. This is because the intercooler has a lot of mass compared to the air moving through it.

Although it may look like a restrictive mounting, it is still very effective.

FEP Super Member

I know Mike.......believe me, I am no stranger to boost and intercooling. I will be running an air director from my bumper opening to seal against the intercooler, and a sealed fan shroud to help pull air through both the intercooler and radiator even when sitting still. I will even be running hood vents to help disapate underhood heat, as well as a stainless heat shroud around the hot side. Header, Turbine case, downpipe, and wastegate exhaust will all be thermal barriar coated (wastegate exhaust and downpipe internal and external coated) to help thermal efficiency of the turbo and to control haet underhood.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."

Mike Croke

I made more progress but have no pictures to prove it.

• The headlight wiring is complete now with new ground wires.
    • Made up a #4 wire from the starter solenoid to that nifty keen fused distribution gizmo since I have three 40A relays drawing power from it.
    • Shortened the starter cable I made last week and routed it a little better around the oil pan. I even cleaned and painted those little hanger thingys Ford used on the original cable and attached them to the new cable.
    • Got a new battery because the old one did not fit properly in the new tray because the new tray came from a '91 and the previous owner had used a bungee cord as a battery retention device.
    • Got the cool radiator bracket thing Paul generously donated drilled and installed.
    • Battery has been re-connected and the new wiring works correctly. No fires, no smoke.
    Today I was distracted from my progress by a flat tire on the truck. I get to spend a lot of money this week replacing all four since we have put at least 50K miles on them since we bought the truck four years ago. If you ever have the opportunity to change a flat tire on a truck in Phoenix in July at 1pm, try to get someone else to do it.

86 50CPRI

My back patio thermometer says 110*, I only went outside to feed the turtles. Friday,I spent a few hours rebuilding my passenger door, window guide bushings,window felts... I think I sweated out all of the several 32 oz ice waters(not icey for long) that I had the kids fill up. If you've ever done the guide bushings,you know the window has to come out..all the way out. Plus,I washed the Mustang...hence the rain Friday night!

Sorry to hear about your tire mishap,that sucks.Hopefully you carry something to lay on when extracting the tire from under the bed.The only thing worse than being out in 110* is having to lay on dirt or pavement that is hotter than that.

Sounds as if you are almost ready to fire that thing up! Nice progress!

FEP Super Member

One heck of a lot of 'run-flat' damage on that tire! Sounds good on the progress made on your ride.

great build..

I really like the relay setup for the lights & fan.

Bummer on the tire. I hear you. Been there. Was about 30 miles out of Laughlin on the 95 and lost a trailer tire at about 2:00pm. ~115 Lucky for me I had all the tools ready to go near the back of the truck, a small floor jack and two guys on it helped knock it out fast.

FEP Supporter

I demand an update to this thread.

Blog Entries

You can't be serious.

FEP Supporter

Does this face look serious to you?

No? How 'bout this one?

Okay... give me a minute.

I SAID HOLD ON!

There, now THAT'S serious business.

FEP Super Member

^^^I'm with him!^^^

Mike Croke

This is as much update as there is. I went to change the heater core and have succeeded in getting the dash loose. Removed the entire climate control box, cleaned all the crap out and re-assembled. But it is not yet back in the car. Been too busy, weather has been monsoon-ing, and too many other things going wrong like the truck tire blow out, a leaking fridge in the kitchen, sticking front caliper on the SVO, A/C on the house quit, and others.

Here is the current state of the interior. It has been used a storage area. It is also obvious why we got new panels from the junkyard.

When I get time, I will put in the "new" panels, the new gray carpet and put the dash/climate control box back together.

FEP Super Member

I can see where the Arizona climate has not been kind to the interior! Too bad we couldn't mate the Arizona bodies with the Carolinas interiors and the Northern engines..........

I am in no way, shape, or form looking forward to doing the heater core in my cars (I will do it when they come apart for paint).

Thanks for the update Mike! No more angry Paul now?
    Last edited by 86GT2go; 07-26-2009 at 04:04 PM.

FEP Supporter

Look at this face!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 86GT2go View Post
    I can see where the Arizona climate has not been kind to the interior! Too bad we couldn't mate the Arizona bodies with the Carolinas interiors and the Northern engines..........
    The fatal damage to the interior was already done when the car lived in Georgia. I bought the car 7 years ago and had it shipped here to AZ. AZ hasn't helped, but the car was a ragged out mess when I got it.

FEP Super Member

I can understand that Skye.........I lived in Florida (and hope to live there again SOON!!) for 23 years and know what the southern sun does to interiors. I get confused up here in the rust belt.........see a nice interior and drivetrain in the yard cars and wonder 'Why is this car in here?'; then I look down and see no car from the beltline down...'Oh yeah, terminal tin worm infestation'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Croke View Post

I did not move the radiator or the condenser. Both are in their stock locations. I did trim the bottom mounting brackets for the condenser because they were tight against the intercooler end tanks. As it is installed right now, the intercooler is back against the condenser with some strips of foam between them to prevent damage to either. There's about a half inch clearance between the intercooler and bumper.
    Hi Mike,

Any pictures of this trimming? Are we talking something small or a major chunk being taken out?

Thanks,

Chris
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Mike Croke

Pretty minor trimming. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.

Mike Croke

Took some pictures today of the modifications I made to the a/c mounting brackets.

I cut the brackets on a bandsaw then hit them on a bench grinder to get rid of sharp edges. Also made up my own brackets to hold the IC to the core support because I thought just using the piping would not be good long term.

Driver side:

Passenger side. The foam insulation is visible between the a/c and fmic. This will prevent and metal-to-metal rubbing.

Thanks Mike, I understand now what to do when I get to that point.

Chris

I'm getting ideas for a new project I wont beable to start for a few years, lol! Cars looking good!

Any updates?

Quick question about the engine bay painting: what did you use for a primer? I'm assuming rattle can because of the paint, but which vendor?

Also, was the paint an epoxy or a urethane in the rattle can?

Thanks,

Chris

Mike Croke

I haven't done squat on this. The next step is to put the dash back together now that the heater core is replaced. I will probably install the carpet kit and interior panels at the same time. Maybe now that the weather is improving I'll get back at it.

Paint is urethane I think.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast