Close

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    FEP Supporter

Default Croke's 1984 Mercury Capri Turbo RS Build Thread

Hello all,
    My name is Paul. I'm a good friend of The Crokes and I'm putting together a "build thread" of sorts for their super-awesome 1984 Mercury Capri Turbo RS. Before I knew the Crokes, I had never even heard of one of these, much less actually seen one.

I know Mike had been working on it for some time and added a front mount intercooler, more boost, different intercooler piping, the whole bit. Well, the motor met its untimely demise long before its time and Mike needed a new motor. I was perusing a local junkyard one rainy day with a friend of mine and happened on a near-complete 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I called Mike and asked him if he wanted it... the motor was soon liberated from it's longtime home and delivered to his house. We got the whole motor, VAM, ECU, and anything else I could pile on it for $240!

So that's where we'll begin I guess. I'm trying to convince Mike and Skye to convert the car to the newfound serpentine belt setup - but we'll see.

As I do my own powdercoating at home, I offered to do a complete custom powdercoating job on the entire motor, trans, well everything. I just started when I got a beginner's powdercoating kit for Christmas, but I'm getting better at it and I really like it!

Here's a picture of a motor I'm building (with the help of Croke) for my '89 notch. (sorry guys, I don't own a four-eyed car)

Since there were A TON of parts to get cleaned up, I spent a few hours in the driveway with my pressure washer blasting 24 years of dirt and grease off of everything. Then I took it all to my friend's shop to use his shot blasting machine to rip off any remaining muck or coatings with great efficiency.

Anyway, now I have TON of parts ready to be smoothed out and powdercoated. Here's just the ones I blasted today (I have more in bins)

There are some fox parts (for my car) mixed in with the 2.3 stuff. Sorry.

...more turbo four stuff. Sorry for the blurry picture. Also some fox steel brackets.

Ford 2.3 Turbo valve covers. One of them is damaged and I'm going to try to fix it up a bit before I coat it. Both of these will receive some trick custom powdercoating for The Crokes. I have two just in case I really hose one up.

Four sets of stock fox valve covers. I'll be sanding all these down and coating each of them different colors. I think I'm going to try silver, gunmetal gray, charcoal gray, and either chrome or flat black.

The fox valve covers (and all of the turbo 2.3 stuff) will go through several stages of smoothing and standing as seeen below.

...and they'll end up looking something like this:

So this weekend I spent some time beadblasting and powdercoating the transmission case for the Capri. Croke thought it might be neat to have his transmission powdercoated because he saw pictures of the case I did for my own car.

So, here's his stuff after pressure washing and before blasting:

Then blasted and prepped for coating:

Then covered in light gray metallic powder, right before it goes into the oven for 18-24 minutes at 385*.

...and the final product!

Croke is going to get a rebuild kit for it, and he's going to rebuild his old tranny. He's also going to teach me how to do it so we can do the same for the T5 from my '89.

Anyway, I'll have tons more pictures as the build progresses. I hope maybe his car and my car can run by the end of the year and we can race.

Thanks all!

Paul.
    Last edited by Paul; 06-23-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Mike Croke

sweet one more with an rs turbo, i think that makes 3 or so on this board, check out mine shes all done
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=50390
    1998 SVT Contour Daily Driver- K1 Racing Wheels CAI
    1985 Mustang GT T-top Black
    Freshened/Blueprinted 302-Heavily Worked GT40 Heads SS valves and Heavy Duty springs-1.6r Crane Cams RR-Custom Grind Comp Cam-Wieand Intake-Edelbrock Carb-MSD-King Cobra Clutch-World Class T5-Cobra 4whl Disc-31spl 4:10 rear-Longtubes-Strange 10Ways-Mac Exhaust with 3" Rolled tips-
    1984 RS Turbo Capri 100% Show car
    1982 Mustang GT

FEP Supporter

Wow! That is clean!

While I don't think Mike plans to do a full rotisserie-style restoration, and I doubt his will be "factory as-delivered" like yours, I think he may be able to compete for the "cleanest engine" once I'm done with it.

Beautiful car.

Paul.

Paul - you do nice work.

Your shop/garage is a heckofa lot more organized than my own at the moment.

Welcome to FEP.

FEP Supporter

Thanks! I only have a two-and-a-half car garage, so I need to make the most of my limted space since two cars are stored in their full-time. I've spent LOTS of time and money in their making it as usable as possible.

Nice work!

I assume that ther plan is to switch the Capri over to the 87 style hydraulic clutch since that is the belhousing you coated? I would love to switch mine over to hydraulic too, let me know how that works out.

Bob Myers

FEP Supporter

Hmmm, I don't know about that clutch stuff. You'd have to ask Mike and Skye since I don't know much about early cars. I believe this is the bell that came off the car though?

I think I remember Mike saying something about some strange short cable thingy or something. I'm not sure.

FEP Super Member

Powdercoating looks great so far (I do coating myself, and can appreciate the time and work you have into it!) and I hope Mike and Skye are appreciative (I know you two are, just giving you some crap.....wouldn't be FEP build thread worthy without it!). Doesn't matter if you don't have a 4eye; you are friends with and assisting 4eye lovers/owners/proliferators of the 4eye love, so that makes you honorary 4eyer. Welcome to FEP.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

FEP Supporter

Thanks, it's good to know another powdercoater doesn't think I suck.

Several of my cars wouldn't run without The Croke's mighty hand, so I'm happy to finally return the favor a little bit. I would like to have a four-eye car, but since I already have four Mustangs I just don't have the time or space for another project. Maybe someday...

That is just so clean when its done that way! I just spent more time than I want to admit to stairing at my motor drooling at the possibilities.
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

Quote Originally Posted by martin0660 View Post
    Nice work!

I assume that ther plan is to switch the Capri over to the 87 style hydraulic clutch since that is the belhousing you coated? I would love to switch mine over to hydraulic too, let me know how that works out.

Bob Myers
    What makes it a hydro bellhousing? Cause it looks like my cable bellhousing that I have in my car.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Blog Entries

Not switching clutches, not sure what the differences are between the bellhousings, but it's definitely a cable car, and still will be after all this. Know of any pics that show various T5 bellhousings? I believe I saw some comparisons between the 4 cyl and v8 housings around here somewhere. Yeah, I should search. Tired. Head hurts. Lazy. You know the routine.

Hooray for Paul!

FEP Supporter

I have three bellhousings in the closet Skye - I'll try to post them tomorrow.

Those valve covers look awesome. Now i got another thing i want to do (you guys better stop giving me ideas i'm finding ways to spend too much money). Now i gotta try this.
    Son of Jleews6, Johnny 5
    85 GT 1C Vert = Grey int. no power options but A/C.
    85 GT 2R Hatch = "Pepper"ALL original sunroof car grey int.,full scale restoration coming one day
    85 GT 2A Hatch = tan int. 2.5" full exhaust, frame connectors, AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges, 5-Lug w/17" Bullitts, converted to FI, 8.8 w/3.55s etc.
    85 GT 1C Hatch = Dads new toy ALL ORIGINAL
    85 GS/RS 4D Hatch = My first capri
    73 Mach 1 - 351 2bbl Auto Yellow w/Tan interior

FEP Supporter

So I've been prepping to do a large powdercoating job for weeks. Sanding and grinding and taping and so on. Today I did a pretty big run of parts and coated in my 118 degree garage for 12 straight hours. Holy crap I am tired.

Anyway, here's more stuff for Croke's Capri.

Before:

After:

I did the timing belt tensioner, distributor hold down, a few washers, some spacer thing for the water pump, and fuel pump blockoff plate in satin black. The two large tensioners and front seal things I did in charcoal grey metallic. I'm real unhappy with how the charcoal sprays. It's very clumpy and annoying. We'll see what Croke thinks.

I also did an alternator pulley in chrome powdercoat because gold looks ugly.

Anyway, more to come.

Paul.

FEP Super Member

Once again Paul, your work comes out looking good! You using a conventional house oven or a commercial unit?
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."

FEP Supporter

Well, not that good. For some reason the charcoal just doesn't flow smoothly. You can see in that picture that the surface doesn't have a nice even finish. The stupid powder "burped" twice, which really makes a mess of things. All of the stuff I did that day came out just great, but the charcoal was very disappointing.

Here's some fox valve covers I did as well. Granted, these were carefully sanded down and smoothed out for HOURS before I coated, but you can see how evenly the powder flows on these.

Silver metallic:

Chrome:

I hope I can get the rest of Croke's stuff to look better than the charcoal stuff.

Paul.

Great job, the attention to detail and quality is obvious. Keep it up! Btw, what brand is your powder coater, powder, and what kind of oven do you use? Thanks, Robert.

FEP Supporter

Thanks for the kudos.

I'm using the cheap Harbor Freight hobby powder gun, columbia coatings powder, and a regular kitchen oven that I bought used from a friend. I'd like to have a professional gun and a huge commercial oven, but I'm struggling to weigh the cost/benefit of it. I already have a decent chunk of money tied up in this stuff.

Paul.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Very nice work Paul! I've yet to have anything powdercoated on my Cobra but after seeing these pic's, I may have to start!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Supporter

What do 79 Cobras look like under the hood anyway? I might be able to give you some ideas.

Question, what was needed to get the Meziere pump to work with the stock alternator and a/c brackets? It appears that the a/c bracket has been worked a little bit at the bottom left?

FEP Super Member

Well Paul, I use the entry-level (for the moment..as funds made from coating are going to the purchase of the next level gun) gun from Eastwood, and their powder. I also use a home oven, and have since located two more ovens that will get cut, welded together, and wired up to form one larger unit.
    As for powder application; do you preheat your parts (about 160-200 degrees seems to work well for me) before you spray them, and at what pressure does your gun shoot (mine sits at 20-25psi static, then drops when I pull the trigger)?

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast