Close

Default Fuel Pump Replacement, Need Help!!

Okay,
    A background on the car first.
    I have a 1984-1/2 GT350 Convertible. It has a 5.0 CFI and the AOD.
    I've been wanting to put dual exhaust on it but the secondary pump is in the way of the passenger side muffler. I've read in a couple of posts that you can replace the in-tank pump with a pump from a newer stang and ditch the secondary pump.
    I collected the parts I needed to do this swap (exhaust, fuel pump, etc...).

Here's my first problem. I call it my first problem because I foresee many more to follow that I haven't uncovered yet.
    I dropped the tank and pulled the pump out. Take a look at the pictures. This is not a direct swap. The old pump pushes from the bottom of the pump, the new one pushes from the top of the pump. I thought of cutting the tube, but I would have to cut it above the support for the pump and that won't work.
    Will a newer pump assembly bolt in?
    I don't really want to butcher this thing to make it work, but I don't see any other way. The pump needs to be mounted with rubber and isolated from the metal brackets to minimize noise.

Any one have any ideas?

BTW, that's a Walbro 190lph pump.

Jules

Last edited by jules; 06-14-2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Adding more information

So, you are keeping the CFI?

Will the later pump have the correct pressure output for the CFI? CFI doesn't use a high pressure pump like that does it?

Looks like you could make that pump work but you would have to modify that pump hangar.
    1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    < My Photo Galleries: http://s474.photobucket.com/user/Ltn...?sort=3&page=6
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

I plan on doing the exhaust first.
    The CFI will find it's way to my parts bin (keeping the original parts). I have a couple of intakes and carbs, as well as a nice set of ported E7's and 1.7 roller rockers.

Will a later mustang pump hanger work?

Can anyone confirm the fuel pressures of a CFI vs. EFI?

Jules,
    I may be wrong but I think you are may be making life harder for yourself than it needs to be. As you have found the early low pressure CFI in-tank pump/hanger assemblies used a unique pump mounting that does not readily accept the later high pressure pump.

ALL 1983-1997 (yes I did say 1997) Mustang fuel tanks for CFI/EFI systems are the same. All you need to do is to purchase the in-tank fuel pump/hanger assembly for a 1986+ Mustang with the 5.0L engine as all 86+ Mustang 5.0L used the single high pressure fuel pump setup (I think 85 was a transition year, some used the 2 pump setup some had the later single pump setup):

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...ype=52&PTSet=A

Airtex/Master pumps and assemblies are very good quality. Many parts stores sell this brand so you may want to shop around.

I know you already have purchased the replacement pump but I really think getting the entire late high pressure pump/hanger assembly is the way to go. Take your old pump/hanger with you to the parts store to compare. The only thing Im not 100 percent sure is the same (but should be) are the electrcal connectors. Thats why you should take your old pump/hanger with you to the parts store to compare. Your 190lph Walbro would be a direct install in the new pump/hanger if you wanted the extra capacity.

Im not 100 percent sure if the external CFI high pressure pump is the same pressure output as the later SEFI in-tank pump, however it really should not matter as pressure at the injectors is regulated by a fuel pump regulator, not by the pump (at least in the case of the SEFI setup - the CFI setup should be very similar).

Helpful reference post:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=25590
    but remember this guy was converting a LTD LX which used a completely different pump/hanger that your Mustang (notice the integral fuel sender that yours does not have). I think if you go with the later 86+ 5.0L Mustang pump/hanger you will be all set.

Good luck
    T
    Last edited by TWR2003; 06-14-2008 at 08:20 PM.

In my usual impatient fashion, I went and bought this off Flea-bay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...249518752&rd=1
    Then found this;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-8...spagenameZWDVW

Do I need one with a 5/16" line?

For the love of sweet Jesus - $25 to ship a little part like that? And you are going to pay that? Did anyone ever tell you guys that Ebay is not the only place on earth to buy auto parts?

Im of the general opinion that all the pump/hanger assemblies - both your old 84 and the newer 86+ type - should have 5/16 supply side and 1/4 return line sizes (the OD of the metal fuel lines coming out of the pump).

May I ask how you plan to 'fill the gap' in the fuel line once you remove the external pump? Also I believe you may find that the stock fuel line routing on your 84 may bring it fairly close to the 'new' passenger side muffler/tailpipe - which may raise a safety issue. I you may want to look into using the entire 86+ front-to-rear fuel line assembly which is optimized to be clear of the 86+ dual exhaust system. Ive read about others doing this. And not to be a pain but Im not certain that you will not have brake line clearance issues - specifically the rear flex line at the rear axle - with the dual exhaust as well as Ford rerouted these too when it designed the full dual exhaust.

T
    Last edited by TWR2003; 06-14-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
    CFI doesn't use a high pressure pump like that does it?
    Im fairly certain that the CFI injectors receive fuel regulated to the same 38-42 psi that the SEFI system uses. Anyone else know for sure?

T

Quote Originally Posted by TWR2003 View Post
    For the love of sweet Jesus - $25 to ship a little part like that? And you are going to pay that? Did anyone ever tell you guys that Ebay is not the only place on earth to buy auto parts?
    T
    I bought the 1st one. I saw the second one and questioned the fuel line size.
    I thought this guy was way overcharging too. I only bought the first one.

My fuel line is 5/16" and I did not want to get a surprise when my package arrived and find it is 3/8". That would be my second problem.

AS far as the secondary pump is concerned. I haven't yet given it too much thought. I was going to pick up some metal fuel line and route it away from the exhaust. I was also thinking of wrapping it in high temperature insulation.

The package arrived and the part looks like it will fit perfectly.
    The fuel line is 5/16" just like my original.
    I'll get it in the tank and start buttoning things up.
    No tank on the car allows me to put my tailpipes in.
    Thanks guys.

Or.....

You could use the in-tank low-pressure pump to feed your carb/intake/E7s and ditch that CFI for much more potential performance...if that's your plan anyway.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."