Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 5-bolt front conversion on the 83....hah!!

Well I decided I wanted to run the Greg Weld wheels on the 83 so I decided to convert the front to 5 bolt. I saw that you can run Ranger front hubs so i went that route...what a mistake. I bought 88 Ranger 4 cyl 2wd front hubs, bearings, seal etc. Well for starters the Ranger bearings don't fit over the Mustang spindle, so while you do run the Ranger hub you have to run Mustang bearings. After i crossed that bridge, and was reassembling the brakes i realized that the diameter of the rotor was bigger than the Mustang so it rubbed on the caliper. Not only that but the rotor hat was larger in diameter and it rubbed on the outer brake pad bottom. So I got out the grinder. After taking off a pretty fair amount of material off the brake pad and grinding the calipers a bit, it still rubbed. Of course I didn't realize this until after I assembled everything and put the wheels on. It cleared when you rotated it on the car but the poorly designed brakes must move quite a bit when you apply them. SO as soon as i touched the brakes the rotor started grinding on the caliper again. I am pretty pi$$ed, this was supposed to be a "bolt on" conversion. Now i am ready to scrap it all and put on Aerospace brakes. I didn't really want to drop the $550 for the kit, hence the Ranger rotor attempt. Anyone have any tricks or ideas besides changing to 94-newer spindles?? I have decided to just drink beer and shake my head right now. Here is a couple pics with the wheels on.
    Last edited by Adam; 09-25-2009 at 09:31 AM.
    www.modularmisfits.com
    83 GT T-TOP 410ci 452hp/502tq
    Gade Race Engine
    Team Z Motorsports

www.siegwarthmotorsports.com

I like those, I'm really considering getting a set.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

Sorry I can't be of any help. I've always used the 87-93 spindles and lincoln rotors. What about the SVO rotors as opposed to the ranger? EDIT the SVO rotors are larger diameter.
    Last edited by eric5oh; 05-29-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric5oh View Post
    Sorry I can't be of any help. I've always used the 87-93 spindles and lincoln rotors. What about the SVO rotors as opposed to the ranger?
    I have used the same set-up also, it is a cheap alternative.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

Something isn't right, the ranger rotors should work if they gave you the right ones at the parts store.

The ranger rotors are 10.28" diameter and are 4.135" tall.

The mustang rotors are 10.08" diameter and 4.01" tall.

So the very slight difference shouldn't cause the problems you are having.

Here is a listing of the two rotors and the specs.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...ront+-+Premium

1979 Zephyr, EFI GT40P 5.0, Mac longtubes, Dynomax exhaust, AODE transmission, 3.27 geared 8.8, subframe connectors, Lakewood uppers/lowers, trunk mounted battery, fuel cell >
    < My Photo Galleries: http://s474.photobucket.com/user/Ltn...?sort=3&page=6
    More GT40P info than you ever wanted to know...http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1014187

I've been contemplating this conversion too, I knew about the bearing issue but I didn't know there was a slight difference in the sizes of the rotors. Let us know what you come up with...
    1979 Base Model Coupe- 351w, C4, 3.73s, the fun machine- Now getting a lot more well deserved mileage put on her!
    2007 Forest River Sunseeker 2200 Class C motorhome on an E-450 chassis. Oh yeah!
    2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Premium- Marine Blue w/ 5-speed, awesome little car.

Take the rotors off, take them to a shop, and have them turn 0.2 off of the diameter in the lathe. Independant shops are more likely to do it than chains. Some chains, take Midas for example, wont even turn a rotor for DIY guys (although if you kow someone at the shop...).

Quote Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
    Something isn't right, the ranger rotors should work if they gave you the right ones at the parts store.

The ranger rotors are 10.28" diameter and are 4.135" tall.

The mustang rotors are 10.08" diameter and 4.01" tall.

So the very slight difference shouldn't cause the problems you are having.

Here is a listing of the two rotors and the specs.

Almost 1/8" of an inch difference is huge when there's about 1/16" clearance between the stock rotor and caliper. I ran into the same problem when I changed my coupe to 5 lug.
    -Zach
    '81 Zephyr Sedan: In pieces. Some at the garage, some under my bed, etc...

One thing I found funny is the brake bolts, one the pass side they are both straight, but the drivers side they are both a bit offset. Not bent, but the bolt is offset. Its hard to explain. I was wondering why both offset ones were on one side? The offset ones make the caliper sit higher or lower. I have taken off quite a bit of material and still having rubbing issues.
    www.modularmisfits.com
    Gade Race Engine
    Team Z Motorsports

FEP Power Member

Weird? The only issue I had when I did this on my Capri was the brake pad rubbing on the rotor and just ground the pad down a bit to fix it.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by ZEN50 View Post
    Weird? The only issue I had when I did this on my Capri was the brake pad rubbing on the rotor and just ground the pad down a bit to fix it.
    Yep I am having that also. Like I said this bolt on conversion kinda sucks. Not sure whether I am going to machine the rotors down or just scrap the project.
    www.modularmisfits.com
    Gade Race Engine
    Team Z Motorsports

Why not go sn-95
    82 T-top Notch 5.0, 86 T-top LX roller, 89 2.3 Turbo, and 86 GT with smoothed engine bay, GT-40X heads and all the bolt ons.

Quote Originally Posted by stang8689 View Post
    Why not go sn-95
    Because every SN-95 set up I find they want a fortune for it.
    www.modularmisfits.com
    Gade Race Engine
    Team Z Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Because every SN-95 set up I find they want a fortune for it.
    Hit a wrecking yard, get the PBR dual piston setup from a wrecked v6. $150 or less for everything you need.

I did this same setup and had only the brake pad rubbing issue,just ground down the brake pad,are the rotors the cheap ones,the maching tolerances may not be up to par,and yeah the prices for sn-95 stuff has gone thru the roof down my way
    86 gt, bone stock except for underdrive pullies and flowmaster catback(well it does have a little spray),5 lug conversion with big and littles

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr 351C View Post
    Take the rotors off, take them to a shop, and have them turn 0.2 off of the diameter in the lathe. Independant shops are more likely to do it than chains. Some chains, take Midas for example, wont even turn a rotor for DIY guys (although if you kow someone at the shop...).

Almost 1/8" of an inch difference is huge when there's about 1/16" clearance between the stock rotor and caliper. I ran into the same problem when I changed my coupe to 5 lug.

Thanks for looking up those numbers, I am taking the rotors to a guy who will machine the diameter down for me the .20" I need. I will make this work!!!
    www.modularmisfits.com
    Gade Race Engine
    Team Z Motorsports

Glad I seen your thread Adam. Because saturday when I was at pull a part getting my ranger rear axles and drums I was going to get the front rotors. It was so hot outside I decided hell with it I would just get the rears for now. Then when I get my front GregWelds I would just buy new ranger rotors.

I would like to do the PBR setup though. They have the aluminum calipers!
    79 Coupe
    5.0 swap complete, T5 swap complete, 8.8 swap complete. 13.9s @98

**** looks good though man! What lugnuts did you use? You got the open end nuts?
    79 Coupe

i had no idea ranger rotors would work.. i thought some kinda lincoln rotor was the only replacement if all you wanted was the same rotors in 5 lug...I would do some searches on here and stangnet.com you should find something. From my POV it looks like you need to buy different rotors
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

Lincoln rotors are even bigger from my research. Yeah its a PITA to have to have the .20 removed but we are talking about $120 for a 5 bolt conversion(new bearings/races/seals etc)
    www.modularmisfits.com
    Gade Race Engine
    Team Z Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Thanks for looking up those numbers, I am taking the rotors to a guy who will machine the diameter down for me the .20" I need. I will make this work!!!
    Dont thank me, thank Ltngdrvr.
    -Zach
    '81 Zephyr Sedan: In pieces. Some at the garage, some under my bed, etc...

Material is removed, I put the pass side on last night, everything appears to be kosher. I am actually going to get to drive it today! As goofy as it looks right now (Gred Welds on frotn and 10 holes on the back, sold my rear Draglites yesterday)
    www.modularmisfits.com
    Gade Race Engine
    Team Z Motorsports

Dont feel bad bro!
    Im running greg welds on the rear. And some 14 inch solid chrome warped ass steel wheel on the front til monday! Then the 14s go to the scrap yard. damn warped ass wheels are killing me with the vibrations and shaking steering wheel.
    79 Coupe

FEP User
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA (Inland Empire in So Cal)

hmmm, I did a 5-lug conversion years ago on my 86 GT using the rotors and axle shafts from the SVO catalog. What rotors would I need to purchase if i had to replace them today? Car has been sitting for years and thought I might refresh things if needed.

Default 5 lug conversion

I was just thinking the same thing. The Ford Motorsport catalog years ago had a 5 lug conversion for the front and rear but I don't remember having to modify anything on the car to make it work. Was it a simple bolt on deal?
    JK
    1983 Capri RS Turbo (since new)
    1970 Boss 302 (since 1980)
    1965 Mustang Coupe (since 1976)

The bolt on conversions tend to cost a few bucks. I paid a guy $10 to machine these down. I may end up selling all of it anyway and put on Aerospace fronts to go with the rears.I am retarded
    www.modularmisfits.com
    Gade Race Engine
    Team Z Motorsports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast