Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thanks for the heads up mfp. It has an e7 intake and the e6 exhaust. Replacing the frost plugs is a good idea. I have taken some of it apart but not much. I will see more this weekend when I work on it.

Took the oil pan off today. Oil plug was stuck in so I took the pan off. I wanted to replace the gasket to be safe but if the plug would've come out I think I might have been alright though. The gasket did not look bad at all and the bottom of the pan was pretty clean too. That is a plus. The mains looked alright also along with the bottom end of the motor. Now to get a gasket, seal it up, and clean the pan for painting. The wife and boy might be out of town tomorrow so I might have a chance to clean it up. I took the clutch and pressure plate off and was surprised that they looked pretty decent also. I am wondering if some of this stuff was replaced before I bought it considering how dirty the outside was compared to the condition of the internal parts.

I was able to get my motor painted today. I might have to get some more to look it over and make sure I got everything but it is coming. I decided to take some vacation time and took tonight and tomorrow off so I can try to get the garage and cars ready for winter. I am hoping to get the motor set in hopefully this weekend so I can get my car moveable again. I have not replaced some of the stuff on it yet that I want but I want to get it off of my buddy's hoist so I can take that back to him and clear out more stuff. I should be able to replace the water lines, etc after the motor is in but I am replacing what will be too hard after it is in now.(frost plugs, etc.) Slow but sure.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Keep on going Tom. Got any more pic's? How close is your area to getting snow and cold weather? The temps around here are starting to drop at night (down into the 40's) and the daytime temps are in the 50's-60's. It won't be too long until we're wearing jackets and coats.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

No pics of this yet. We are supposed to get a hard frost tonight so the hours of being in the garage are getting cut down. Especially if the boy is outside with me. Once I get it set in, then it won't be so bad. Then I can move the Cobra and clear out the side of my garage where I normally store stuff for the winter. Car parts are taking all of that space up now. I may put some plastic and a blanket down in the hatch of the car so I can put the radiator, shroud, etc. in there also to free the floor up. I need to clean majorly since I can barely get my Explorer in there now and I want as much room as possible around it since my wife's driving scares the hell out of me.

Here ya go Pete. A before cleaning, during cleaning, and after painting shot. The after painting shot is not the best but it will give you an idea. The valve cover will get some more work after my motor is sitting in. Right now I have to adjust the clutch cable since I had to take it off when I pulled to motor and then paint my motor mounts and I should be ready to drop it in. And a word of advice to others that go this far. Route and mount the brake hard lines before putting the booster in. I had to find the hard way they don't go in with the booster mounted solid. I should get it in this weekend barring problems and then to figure out the water lines as per my post in the 2.3 section and then everything else.

Well some progress was made but I ran into another problem. For some reason the motor will not get seated onto the input shaft of my trans. I know it is on it but it will not seat all of the way. I can turn the motor with my breaker bar and it will put some torque on the motor but I cannot get it any further. I still need it to go about 3/8 of an inch for it to be on all of the way. Here is what it looks like now.

Of course the wife got my good side in the previous picture.

And the last is where I stopped at. I will have to mess with it more this week. Hopefully I will get it.

Finally its set in. I pulled the motor back out to check everything over and started again. Same thing got it about 1/2 inch from being fully seated and no more. After about blowing a nut trying to get it on the trans shaft I messed with my jack and leveler and used the bellhousing bolts to help it along. Popped right into place with no binding at all on the bolts. I know its probably not the recommended way but it worked and it took very little effort to turn the bolts while the motor and trans came together so I must have eyeballed it pretty good. Now to get the rest of the stuff from the guy I bought it from and see how far I can get it before snow flies.

It's looking good Tom. I love threads like this. They bring me back to when I was doing mine during the four year period from 2000 to 2004. Keep on going!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Looks great! thanks for posting all your progress. I like threads like these as well! Keep up the good work!
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Not much to report since last time. I painted my radiator but that is about it. I still need the rest of my parts from the guy I bought the motor from before going anywhere else with it.(Computer, harness, etc.) But it is also in the single digits with 40 below wind chills right now for about the last 2 weeks so I haven't been in the garage working at all. Now to get everything lined up so at springtime I can get back on it again.

FEP Senior Member

lookin good man. wish I was that far along
    Neal

Well gonna bring back this thread. Unfortunately due to my job and financial reasons the project has been stalled. My work is dependant on the construction industry and as everyone knows that has dried up significantly. I have not been able to make any progress on the cobra due to lack of money but hopefully things will work out so I can buy some parts this spring to keep going. I'm kind of missing hearing the turbo spool up and driving this so hopefully i can get it to move under its own power this coming year.

Its been frustrating to see it sit everyday this last summer but medical bills and food came first so it had to be put off. I am really just thankful I was able to keep my job after all the issues this country has had this last year and seeing how alot of people here had to struggle just to pay bills. I know my situation could have been a lot worse.

Tom, I know what your talking about...when the auto industry went soft I also had to stall on my 82GT project. I just kept doing small things to the car like detailing and painting.Like the small stuff that kept my mind off of what I could not do. Just keep plugging away things will turn around,it did for me. Keep up the good work!
    Chris
    --------------------------------------------
    1982 GT 347 Kenne Bell 2.2 Supercharged
    1986 GT VERT 306
    2002 GT VERT 4.6 Saleen supercharged (sold)
    1969 Mach I 427 Sideoiler Had 14yrs (sold)
    1968 Cougar GTE 427 Cover of Mustang Unlimited(sold)
    1968 Cougar GT390 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by cjmuscle View Post
    Tom, I know what your talking about...when the auto industry went soft I also had to stall on my 82GT project. I just kept doing small things to the car like detailing and painting.Like the small stuff that kept my mind off of what I could not do. Just keep plugging away things will turn around,it did for me. Keep up the good work!
    exactly..is a good time to pull seats and do through cleaning and vac, super clean the interior class...anything to just keep forward momentum.

Hang in there Tom! It took me four years to build mine so I know how tough it can be during the wait. It's going to be awesome when you're done.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Well not exactly progress but I was finally able to get my wiring harness and computer from the guy I bought the motor from. It is the first of a couple things I am going to need to keep this going. Here it is:

Now I can start redoing this harness with new tape and outer covering. Maybe start to see where I can locate the computer in the interior too. One question tom the others that have done this swap. I have heard that these harnesses have the ABS wiring in them and that it can be taken out. Is that what this piece is, the ABS computer?

I'm beginning to think my next step should be to find an evtm for this year of Turbo Coupe so that I can begin to check and see what wires are what. I guess I am just happy getting this finally since I've been waiting for it for awhile now. This also has the LA3 computer. Are there different computers for the same year of car? If so is there a better one to look for?

I'm hoping to be able to get back going on this this coming year cause I am beginning to wonder how long my dd is going to survive with the rust that seems to be rapidly forming around the rear suspension. I had no idea how bad it was til I was checking some stuff out so I might need to have the Cobra as my regular summer car. (Yea I know, wouldn't that just suck lol). I know its not of the Cobra but here's a picture of said rust, it looks worsae than in the pictures cause of the bad angle I had on the camera:

So hopefully soon I can get it on the road.
    Last edited by tman1257; 11-10-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345