Close

Lightbulb Mexican Mustangs

I am not sure if this has been a post. I am sure alot of you are already aware, but I was surpise to see a 1982 and 1984 Mustang from Mexico.

I remember reading about those somewhere. Actually pretty cool but why did they do it that way??

I really like the Mexican coupes with the Capri front end. You can catch them all the time on ebay Mexico. I have yet to see one newer than 1984. I don't know if they stopped then or what.

http://www.mercadolibre.com.mx/
    Last edited by 5.0 bird; 05-15-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

this sort of thing is seems common on mexican cars. i just got back from cancun and saw cavalier/sunbirds, gmc trucks with chevy branding, and other weird stuff like that. i was hoping to see some capri/mustangs but sadly no.

i did see a capri notch recently though, just like the one as pictued. saw it in passing, couldn't get a good look at it.

cale

FEP Member

The Capri/Mustangs were built in Couhatilan (Spelling) in Northeast Mexico City.
    I have been in and out of that plant during this time and I saw some crazy stuff.
    It seem like you can order it like that or maybe they just put on what ever parts they have.

TLennyRS

Default Capri

wonder how hard it would be to get one imported?

FEP Senior Member

I wondered the same thing the last time we went thru this discussion.

I saw a 4 door Ranger last year in Cozumel. I wish we got those here, I'd have one in a heartbeat.

If ANYBODY can enlighten us on importing from Mexico, please share the knowledge.

Chuck

FEP Member

A few years ago I was at a GM plant in Saltillo and they were making a Cavalier with a pickup box on the back. It looked like a Cavalier BRAT, but this was never to be sold in the USA.
    When I was over in Germany 2 years ago Ford has the Kaa. It is just a little bigger than the BMW SMART. It is always interesting to see what other countys have for cars.

The question about importing a collector car from Mexico would be good info.
    What about importing something from Canada, would this be the same?

TLennyRS

Default Aussie Fords

I have always taken an interest in what cars were currently offered in other countries. But my knowledge only extended as far back as when I was old enough to start driving. I have always loved the FPVs Falcons and Utes.

The Aussies sure do have some sweet V8s both from Ford and Holden.

I was glad to see the GTO and G8 come out here...albeit under different names.

The Ford Fiesta is coming over from Europe in 2011.

Wasn't there a Mexican Mustang that had the SVO front end on it? I thought I saw pictures of it but I can't seem to find those again...

88 GT 'Vert original owner

Default For something fun, read the last link in this post

Quote Originally Posted by tlennyrs View Post
    A few years ago I was at a GM plant in Saltillo and they were making a Cavalier with a pickup box on the back. It looked like a Cavalier BRAT, but this was never to be sold in the USA.
    When I was over in Germany 2 years ago Ford has the Kaa. It is just a little bigger than the BMW SMART. It is always interesting to see what other countys have for cars.

The question about importing a collector car from Mexico would be good info.
    What about importing something from Canada, would this be the same?

TLennyRS
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHornet View Post
    I have always taken an interest in what cars were currently offered in other countries.
    I've often wondered the same as the others here ---- so let me raise the topic and question again.

Once about a year ago, I did some preliminary research on the topic ---- and it seemed that the two things that came up most commonly were safety and emissions. Vehicles brought into the country would have to pass some safety and emissions standards.

NHTSA can give you some guidelines. Link. I would also do some research with the EPA.

Link. <<< An easy (though not all-encompassing) "how-to" guide.

Grey import vehicles link.

One interesting note that I recall learning during my research was that it was impossible to import a Peugeot vehicle. The Peugeot website (at the time) commented that anyone trying to import a Peugeot vehicle into the USA would have it held at the port (plus I think they'll give you attitude in French). I believe that the same held true for Canada ---- though I believe that you can still import one into Mexico. Here's the LINK with the information.
    Last edited by dburdyshaw; 09-22-2008 at 04:23 AM.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car