Close

Default fixing up a 84 stang

whats up Gary showed me this site from another site said you all may be able to help more then the other site has...

I had a 84 mustang automatic, gt 500 passed down to me because they didn't want to deal with it and i lost my other car so ya...

it won't start, if i put gas in the breather it starts just fine but there is no gas getting to the breather so it wont stay on, we feel its the wire from the starter to the pump but we are not sure Gary said "It might be the ignition switch itself. "

Can some one tell me how to fix this where is the switch, what kind of price am i looking at? im a no0b at fixing cars so please bare with me and give lots of detailed info..

thanks!

is it a carbed car?? if so then it has a mechanical pump which means there is no wires to deal with.

try this, find the line that goes from your fuel pump(if your looking at it from the froont of the car, its on the bottom right of the engine block looks kinda like a flying saucer with 3 lines attached to it and its bolted to the engine) anyways, find the line that goes from the pump to the carb, disconnect it, have someone hold it and go crank the car, fuel should be coming out of that line, if not, get a new pump.
    1985 Mustang GT-Stock 302, Weiand Stealth, SA 670, Taurus Fan, AC/Emissions Delete, BBK LT's , O/R H-Pipe, Spintech Turndowns, 373's, Toyo TQ 275/45/16 , 5 Lug/Rear Disc Swap

2003 SVT Cobra-Pulley, Intake, Exhaust -11.91 @ 118

yeah see we tried pumping it, and nothing comes up to the breather at all.. we were going to try to replace the wire from the starter to the pump.. the last owner did major modifications and took major short cuts, took the battery and switched wires around and a lot more...

dude take pictures....the fuel pump should not have anywires comming to it unless it's an electrical mounted in the rear next to the tank. Take pics of the engine bay and the car sounds like it's gonna be a long project.

FEP Super Member

84 should still be carbed, unless you have an Anny 2.3T. If you are not getting gas up from the pump, the internal diaphram is shot...new pump time.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

its an 84 auto, its cfi!
    86 Mustang - Part SVO, Part GT, Part LX but 3 wrecks make one car.

well if the thing is running when you pour gas down the throttle body an ignition problem like the ignition switch is pretty easy to rule out.

cale

we did a lot of work today on it the fuel pump we ran a wire from the starter to the fuel pump it clicked on like it should meaning that wire was shot..

now

we checked spark plugs, fuses things like that they all work fine.. the issue now is we checked where the gas goes to the breather and its not even getting there its stopping right at the end and is not putting any gas in

suggestions?

and the wire trick did work the guy had put diff wires at the pump and had one of them touching metal so the fuel pump is good we have to fix that wire later on. there are tons of wires cut inside of the car that we dont really no what goes to what.. this is a fuel injected car btw

yes i have fuel pressure at the throttle body but we were unable to tell if it went past it, it like stopped at the breather and didnt even go into the breather at all..

are you saying to clean those things that put the fuel in the breather there are two of them pointed in twords the breather...

we dont have a computer reader deal. so no way of checking

correction it didnt look like the gas went past the fuel pressure regulator (i think its called) its copper looking.. if you all would like a picture i can upload one... would that help?

this guy that re did this did a horrible job and now ive got to go abouts figure out what he did, he took short cuts big time

Your car has an inertia switch mounted in the trunk that could possibly be bad and not allowing the fuel pump to pump. Also, your car has an in-tank fuel pump and a chassis mounted fuel pump. It won't run right if either of them is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by slow84lx View Post
    Your car has an inertia switch mounted in the trunk that could possibly be bad and not allowing the fuel pump to pump. Also, your car has an in-tank fuel pump and a chassis mounted fuel pump. It won't run right if either of them is not working.
    huh weird in the book it said the thing in the trunk if it would only stop working if the darn car got hit from the back... which it didnt..

how can i go about fixing each one of those plus the trunk issue, who would carry that stuff for the trunk issue and how do i replace it

Your book must be a Chilton's.

Any parts store or Ford dealer will have those parts in stock. I would do some more testing before throwing parts at it to verify the problem.

we think we found the issue will update later if its wrong the distriberator pickup coil was bad so we are going to replace this...

Man what a hard thread to follow. Alot of use of the word "breather"
    1985 Mustang GT:
    347 stroker
    Holley 750 double pumper
    xe274hr comp cam
    Victor jr. intake
    RPM aluminum heads
    roller rockers
    equal length shorty headers
    electric fan
    afco aluminum radiator
    american thunder series flowmasters
    pace setter off road h-pipe
    chrome OEM cobra rims

eh so you just wanted to reply to spam eh?

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ak5150 View Post
    huh weird in the book it said the thing in the trunk if it would only stop working if the darn car got hit from the back... which it didnt..

how can i go about fixing each one of those plus the trunk issue, who would carry that stuff for the trunk issue and how do i replace it
    Its possible for someone who was working on the car to trip the switch.

No one was working on the car at the time it just died after i jumped it.