Close

Default slightly confused on wiring

if i am going to switch my 79 to efi i need a wiring harnes under the hood but how will my gauges in the car work will the connect right or will they not work?
    i need the wiring for a turbo efi and an ecu thats all besides the engine right? and the fuel pump. i dont have to change any pins for the ecu do i.

The gauges are independent. They connect via single wires or via the coil itself.

Should be dropping in the harness, wiring it up to get power and tach signal, and wiring up fuel pump and ECU relay and crossing your fingers after you get the fuel pump hardware sorted out. If the ECU and harness are a matched pair then no repinning should need to be done.
    No matter where you go, there you are

i work at a parts store so the ecm will be flased to the right hareness. i thought the gauges went throught the engine harness

Not the ECU side of the engine harness. The older ECUs aren't flashable either unless you guys have some sort of magic you can work on them.

i thought it said they could be flashed, but after thinking about it more it does not make sense.

Are you pulling the ecu and wiring harness out of a turbo efi car? I pulled my engine, ecu, and wiring harness from a junked 88 t-bird. Most of the wires coming out of the ecu will go right to the engine, so you just need to plug them back in the way they came out. Other than that, there is a wire running back to the fuel pump to power it, (you're going to need an efi tank and pump,) there will need to be two wires connect to 12volt power (one constant and one keyed power), some grounds, and for the gauges, that is independant of the ecu. You will need to do some cutting and splicing to make this stuff work. You might want to try just using the stock harness you have in the car now for the gauges. I beleive the oil pressure sending unit and coolant temp gauge sending unit should be the same on the efi motor. I'm pretty sure you ameter won't work any more unless you're using an externally regulated style alternator, like what you have now.
    '83 Capri 2.3T

13.08 at 109.5 mph

http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/r...urbo/?start=40

I'm on a boat.....

i dont want to do too much hacking up on the car so i can put it back to original later if i want to. i have a drive train out of an 88 tc to use.

the best way to do it would be to get a merkur wiring harness. you can use a t-bird harness, but i here they take a lot more work to simplify them. the only thing that you will have to do that will affect you getting it back to stock, is drilling holes. you will need to mount the harness and other stuff like baro sensor, boost vent solenoid, VAM, and emissions garbage (unless youre eliminating some of it. i got rid of the VAM, EGR, baro. and other stupid little items by running an MS2) you also need a hole in your firewall for the harness to go through. make sure your throttle linkage doesnt hit the hood either. i got mine together, drove it around on a test run with no hood. it ran great. i put the hood on, and the throttle stuck open at about 2K. i couldnt feel it in teh pedal so i didnt know what was going on, until i popped the hood. soon as i popped the hood it settled down. then i realized what happened. i had to notch a little piece out of the hood brace to make it clear.
    79 cobra- rockin the efi 2.3T again.

2007 lifted F-350 Lariat Outlaw 4x4
    83 Porsche 944
    01 GSXR 1000

Sold: 96 f-350, 69 baja bug, 86 XJS v12, jeep j-3000, wagoneer, 95 f-250, 89 LX 5.0 and a few others

Ah yes, the older cars have flat hoods. A turbo hood with opening would fix that problem well...or a lower intake(as found on the Turbocoupes and Merkurs I think).

im going to turn the intake forward and i have a cobra so it has a little room where the scoop is. im not going to run any emmisions on the car its not needed here. i also have a pace car hhod behind my garage i could use but i really want to keep the stock on. any idea where i can get a harness for the right year merkur

i have a engine and 5 speed out of a 88 turbo coupe that i am going to use. what is an ms2 i have not heard of that before.

MS2 is Megasquirt, a standalone fuel system. Allows for customizble fuel tables and the such when wanting to make more power or converting a carb vehicle to EFI.

As for the harness i've always heard that the 87/88 harness are the worst. But I have one, and it was either already "trimmed" a bit or its not as bad as it is made out to be. I'm not sure.

Are you going to use the Turbocoupe's bellhousing or a cable housing?

not sure yet still getting things together to do this