Close

FEP Member

Default What to look for in a 79 purchase?

I did a quick search and turned up nothing, so I'll just post it up.

A friend of mine informed me of a 79 hatch 4 cyl for sale locally for $300. I guess it still runs well so I am wanting to pick it up for my DD while I finish up the 81 hatch project.

I'm not sure if it is an auto or a manual at this point, but I don't really care. I just need something let me park the 03 cobra and stop using it as my DD. That ****s getting expensive.

Anyhow, what problems areas should I check out on this thing when I go look at it? Is there anything specific I should check out or is it just the basic car check out check list? I know I will be squeezing all the hoses in the engine bay after taking the 4 cyl out of the 81 and there being half a pencil size hole down the middle of them the rest filled with rust. They sounded like rice crispies when we took them off.

So...any thoughts? I'm hoping to go look at it tonight or friday. For the record, the 81 is a monster build, where as I think if I get this one, it is going to just be a restoration back to fine stock 4 cyl form...so that would be the ultimate goal with this car if that matters for what to look for.

I guess I would make sure to check the underneath for rust and the seat mounting area since that is known to crack. If it has a sunroof, definitely check that area and also the areas around tires and wheelwells since the drain tubes are in that vicinity. I have also heard others say to look under the cowl area too for hidden rust. Other than those, I would say check it like a regular car and go over it good.

Like it was stated before, check the floor pans for cracks, and make sure to check the trunk underside for rust, seems to be a common place for rust to develop. Check the frame rails in the engive bay, especially under the battery tray.
    I am very interested in Capris, Mustangs, Shelbys, and Saleens. Basically, if you cut me, I bleed Ford blue.

check the floorpan where they join the firewall and rocer panel also the rear frame rail by the bumper shocks
    82 Capri RS, 5.8L, solid drop mounts, areomotive fuel system, 3" exhaust, ROD six speed, MM torque arm suspension, "mathis" 90 k-member, 04 cobra control arms, h&r springs, koni shocks, m-2300-k, caged, battery relocate

Check the front frame rails-looked at a lot lately that have rotted out frame rails right by the shock towers.

Some of the early '79 4 cylinder cars came with leftover '78 6.75" ring gear differentials. I can tell you from experience that any kind of 302 will kill this rear in a few months.

The 7.5" is more liveable for a while until you can or wish to swap an 8.8 in.