Close

Default Which rack and pinion is in my Capri??

I am referring to my 1986 Capri 2.3L. When I search parts websites to find a steering rack for the Capri, it gives me quite a few options. I can apparantly either have a Ford rack or a TRW rack, a "1 piece bushing" rack or "2 piece bushing" rack, a performance rack or a standard rack. I do have power steering, so that at least eliminates the manual rack. The one that is on my car was replaced right before I bought it with a MOOG rack (9 years ago) from what I was told, and it has started leaking really badly. Not out one of the ends, but where the steering gear is inside it. I can't figure out where it is leaking from because everything is drenched in fluid. If I can figure out which rack the Capri should have, I am probably going to replace it.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

That should have a power steering non performance rack (3 turns lock to lock).

I belive 85 was the last of the 2 piece bushing racks so you'd have a 1 piece. But it doesn't matter since the rack is not different just the bushings which can be swapped.

Now TRW vs Ford...I don't know but I'm not sure if it would matter as long as the hose connections are the same and in the same spot.

-Mike

On the end of the right side rack housing is a part# right by the boot, and you can figure it out that way. Also I believe the TRW rack is only available in the 20:1 , 3 turn lock to lock version.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

Quote Originally Posted by gdniel View Post
    On the end of the right side rack housing is a part# right by the boot, and you can figure it out that way. Also I believe the TRW rack is only available in the 20:1 , 3 turn lock to lock version.
    he said he has a MOOG rack in it now though...??

I don't believe moog ever made a rack? There is no steering rack that I was able to find on their website. I have also never seen a moog labled rack and pinion in my 14 years in the automotive field. I'm not saying he is wrong, I have just never seen or heard of one (moog brand) for a mustang.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Yea, I don't know if that was true or not about the Moog rack. Whatever it is, it is a stock replacement. It does seem to have the 3 turns lock-to-lock one because it does steer quite quickly. I never counted the turns, but I know I don't get very many until I hit the lock. Dumb question, but when you say right side of the rack, do you mean passenger side of the car right or looking at it from the front right?
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Passenger side, there is a flat spot with a part # stamped in, there are quite a few part #s so when you get it , post it up.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Well, must still be the OEM rack. I searched all over the passenger side end only to find that the part number is actually on top of the rack on the driver's end near the hydraulic line hookups. I heavily cleaned the number and came up with this: RF E0BC 3550 AA

This does not match any of my part #'s listed in any of my books, which doesn't help at all. Any help IDing this rack would be great. Looking on Advance Auto's website, 22203F looks like mine. It is the Ford gear, non-performance, 1 piece bushing one. The 22207 performance rack also looks just like it though. I think the line routing on the TRW racks is different.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

After a little online research, that part # comes up as a Fairmont rack. Other than that, I can't make any more progress with pinpointing which it is.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

It was originally engineered for a 1980 Fairmont (E0B). Ford uses the same parts in many model lines.

That's the conclusion I came to also. The problem is, I am unsure, without dropping the rack, if I have the 1 piece or 2 piece bushings. They appear to be the 2 piece. Not sure though. I'm still also not sure which rack it actually is. I have it narrowed down to 2 (see above post).
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    It was originally engineered for a 1980 Fairmont (E0B). Ford uses the same parts in many model lines.

Foxchassis is correct. This is the steering rack housing part #, used in most foxbody ford vehicles.

When mounted on the k-member, there is a flat pad on the passenger side of the rack by the boot facing upward. It will have a stamped series of numbers and letters. My spare from an 89 mustang lx 5.0 has

SPR-DB
    89F 20R = 15:1 rack

This is what lets you know if it is a 20:1 or a 15:1 rack (besides the turn counting method 3 turns for the 20:1, 2.5 turns for the 15:1). The 20:1 racks have many numbers to identify them, where there are not so many for the 15:1 racks, I don't have an accurate figure.

Some are stamped harder than others and are therefore more visible. If you clean it well and get the # I will check the list I have comprised as it may be on there.

Gerald
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

I had checked that area of the rack last time and didn't see any numbers. I will have to clean more of the gunk off it and see if I missed them. I will let you know if I find any.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

After much cleaning and strange contortions, I found the numbers you are requesting. It appears it must have been the number stamper's first day on the job. Here is what is there:

SPR-AY
    A (very large and upside-down)
    A 15 4(also very large and stamped over top a 1)

Hope this helps.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

I drove the car around today and figured out it is exactly 3 turns lock to lock.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L