Close

Default CFI/AOD to Carb/T5 LTD LX

Hey guys, I'm just toying with the idea but wanted to get some detailed info. I have an 85 LTD LX that has been having oil pressure issues. I also hate "stab & steer" driving - I love my stick's!!! I DO know how collectible these cars are & won't do anything that can't be returned to stock at a later date.

That said, here's the idea...I currently have the motor for my Capri being built, but the car itself needs work. What will I have to do to the LTD to run a carbed set up w/the T5 trans?? More specifically electrical & emissions(or lack there of)?? We are no longer emissions testing anything older than 95 here now.

Any help would be appreciated/welcomed (Scott/Mark feel free to weigh in also!!) I have never done anywork on a CFI car (electrical) & first looks (in detail) were a little intimidating to say the least!!!
    Dave
    1985 Mercury Capri RS - '02 Sonic Blue -PROJECT
    1985 Ford LTD LX - Grey 5 SPD/8.8 3:73

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass (442 clone) - Grey SOLD
    1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham T-top - W/'69 350 ROCKET/T350 - White SOLD
    1978 Pontiac Trans Am - Martinique Blue SOLD

thats a great idea! i'd love to have an LTD LX with T-5

to run a carb set-up you dont need much, make sure u get the gauges to work

Quote Originally Posted by DVSCAPRI View Post
    I DO know how collectible these cars are & won't do anything that can't be returned to stock at a later date.
    I wouldn't say these cars are exactly collectible. They have more of a cult following. To most people they are just 80's economy cars not even worthy of a 2nd look. But those of us around here know better
    Last edited by Turbo-Box; 05-06-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Question

Hey guys, I'm just toying with the idea but wanted to get some detailed info. I have an 85 LTD LX that has been having oil pressure issues. I also hate "stab & steer" driving - I love my stick's!!! I DO know how collectible these cars are & won't do anything that can't be returned to stock at a later date.

That said, here's the idea...I currently have the motor for my Capri being built, but the car itself needs work. What will I have to do to the LTD to run a carbed set up w/the T5 trans?? More specifically electrical & emissions(or lack there of)?? We are no longer emissions testing anything older than 95 here now.

Any help would be appreciated/welcomed (Scott/Mark feel free to weigh in also!!) I have never done anywork on a CFI car (electrical) & first looks (in detail) were a little intimidating to say the least!!!

Why not swap to Mustang-style fuel injection and the T-5 like Scott?!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-Box View Post
    I wouldn't say these cars are exactly collectible. They have more of a cult following. To most people they are just 80's economy cars not even worthy of a 2nd look. But those of us around here know better
    Idk, last year when I was showing it I had alot of interest from both show goer's & judge's once they found out the #'s. Economy car???Pfffft!!! I know a certain 20 yo that beats on his '03 GT that first got smoked out at a stop sign & then couldn't catch or run with my "grandma's car"!!! My oldest daughter (his seat cover at the time) was laughing her ass off at him. BTW, she refers to the LTD as my "Retarded Mustang".
    Dave

1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham T-top - W/'69 350 ROCKET/T350 - White SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by FoxGranadaChuck View Post
    Why not swap to Mustang-style fuel injection and the T-5 like Scott?!
    Chuck, I don't have the spare parts laying around #1. I don't want to spend the kind of $$$ needed for that #2. I really don't know too much about the EFI Fords (I can do some trouble shooting, but that's about it!!) #3. I really LOVE my carbed cars!!! #4.

In case you didn't know, The '85s are the newest cars I own!! I had an '87 442 which had the computer controlled carb.... I had to replace the carb.....$800+ just for the carb. It took a ton of time to get it tuned right & then came up with other computer problems....I got rid of it. I prefer carbs/no computers/no B.S. As it is, My carbed cars used to completely confuse my old room mate (who grew up on EFI). He couldn't understand how my lil 302 w/o any power adder of any sort, would walk away from his Terminator that had some work done. Same thing with his '90 SSP that he had done heads/intake/exhaust & more to.
    Dave

Anyone???? I'm looking for help in the wiring/electronics area. The physical stuff won't be an issue. I don't want to just "hack" into the wiring harness. Although I've been considering just getting a "painless" harness or something of the sort.
    Dave

The T5 swap is straightforward. Use Mustang parts and that's it. You will have to cut/modify the floor and possibly graft in the Mustang shifter base plate to make it work, and possibly enlarge the hole in the center console bezel.

I know nothing about the carb swap, but I would imagine it's straightforward too. Carbs run on black magic as far as I'm concerned, so I stay away.

These cars will never be super valuable or collectible, so in my opinion, do what you like. They do have appeal to the few people that know about them, and they are rare, so I personally have tried to keep my car as close to stock in appearance, but all of the mechanicals are non-stock. I don't think I'll ever have anyone crying to me that the car isn't numbers matching anymore.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Thanks Scott, I knew you'd chime in at some point!! I know the trans swap will be straightforward enough, I was just looking for some help eliminating some of the unnecessary wiring in the engine bay(which there seems as if there'll be a TON of).
    Dave

When I ran a carbed 302 in my 87 LX I pulled ALL of the wiring harness that connected to the computer in the pasenger kick pannel. Then I ran a wire to the ignition switch for the Duraspark to work. As for fuel, I pulled the electric fuel pump from the tank and use a metal tube with a filter on the end of it for gas to be pulled up to the mechanical pump on the engine.
    -John-

79 Mercury Capri RS: 5.0L 5 speed swap
    83 Mustang GT: 5.0L 5 Speed
    83 Mustang GT T-Top: 5.0L 5 Speed
    84 Mustang L: 2.3L 4 Speed
    85 LTD Wagon: 358W 5 speed swap
    87 Mustang LX: 5.0L 5 speed swap

i put a t5 in my 85 ltd lx and even with the stock cfi motor and 7.5 diff it was tons of fun.. engine finally quit after 255,000 hard kilometers
    1986 beige lx 5.0 conversion - 306ci. edelbrock 1.94 performer rpm aluminum heads, performer rpm airgap intake, performer rpm cam, roller rockers,moroso oil pan, edelbrock 600cfm carb, bbk shorties, offroad h-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers 2.5 pipes, holley high flow fuel pump, T-5 tranny, 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears,aluminum rad, driveshaft loop, weld in sub-fram connectors, 5-bolt cragar SS wheels
    best run: 13.3 at 101.6mphhttp://www.youtube.com/jakesmustang1986

Quote Originally Posted by 86_302 View Post
    i put a t5 in my 85 ltd lx and even with the stock cfi motor and 7.5 diff it was tons of fun.. engine finally quit after 255,000 hard kilometers

So uh where is this car now!!!!!!
    1984 Mustang GT - BUILT 351W 5spd
    1985 LTD LX - 306, 3" exhaust, 87+ Front brakes
    1985 LTD Wagon - 5.0 5spd project
    1985 LTD LX - 347 Stroker 5spd, Cobra 5-lug brakes, 17" Cobra R's....

My oldest daughter (his seat cover at the time) was laughing her ass off at him. BTW, she refers to the LTD as my "Retarded Mustang".
    That is WAY to funny. How old is she? and that is kinda true if you think about it lol.