Close

FEP Power Member

Default A few questions with pics

I'm in the process of trying to get my 85 back together without missing too much top down weather but as always thing take longer than you want. I have a few questions with pics below.

I have a gap (open hole to head) on both sides of the heads. Picture shown is on the pass side, picture is taken from the drivers side. Is this normal? If not, how did I screw up a simple stock manifold install?

As many pictures as I took and no matter how much I labeled, for the life of me I don't know what goes in the bolt hole in the manifod stamped with #1 on the flat. I'll probably look really stupid on this one. Hole is in center of pic.

In center of pic there is a vac port plugged with a screw, don't know what should go there. In right hand corner of pic there is a loose vac line that runs into corner of inner fender/firewall. Do these two go together or somewhere else?

Thanks for any help you can give!
    85 GT vert

I just checked the manifold, I have a stealth intake and there is a bolt hole near the one on your Ford intake, it is not being used on my intake either.
    86 GT with some go fast parts

What heads are those? I know on the E7s/EFI intakes, the lower sits much higher and covers those ports. The ports are just blocked off by the intake, I think this a emissions design and the Stangs use that crossover tube and connect to the back of the heads.

If I had to guess, I'd say your intake was probably planed/shaved for trueness and a little too much was taken off. That's why it sits so low.

The empty bolt hole should be for the oler cylinder style ignition coil. My 79 had a 85 intake on it, and I remember the coil being mounted in this area.

The vac port/switch, just find a 5.0 and look where it goes, I don't remember off the top where it goes, but the EFI cars have those as well.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

FEP Super Member

The hole in picture #1 is normal ...on all small blocks ...you didn't screw anything up .
    The hole in the intake , marked #1 is for the coil bracket .
    Picture #3 , connect the line going into the fender /cowl to the line with the screw , this is the vac. controls for the HVAC system.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Power Member

Thanks for the responses, I'm glad I didn't screw anything up. I marked and labeled everything that I took off, took pictures and drew diagrams. I guess I should have identified empty holes too!

Heads are stock 85's (E5's I think). Don't have the cash right now for new headers and valve springs for my new GT40P's.

Intake has only been bead blasted, not milled.

The #1 hole threw me off because my coil mounts on the pass side.

Thanks again. Off to Jegs to pick up my new timing chain/gears and a few odds and ends. I might get this thing on the road before June yet!
    85 GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I'm in the process of trying to get my 85 back together without missing too much top down weather but as always thing take longer than you want. I have a few questions with pics below.

I have a gap (open hole to head) on both sides of the heads. Picture shown is on the pass side, picture is taken from the drivers side. Is this normal? If not, how did I screw up a simple stock manifold install?

Quote Originally Posted by RichV View Post
    What heads are those? I know on the E7s/EFI intakes, the lower sits much higher and covers those ports. The ports are just blocked off by the intake, I think this a emissions design and the Stangs use that crossover tube and connect to the back of the heads.

If I had to guess, I'd say your intake was probably planed/shaved for trueness and a little too much was taken off. That's why it sits so low.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    The hole in picture #1 is normal ...on all small blocks ...
    Well here is my $.02:
    Ive never seen that hole on any SBF engine - especially something like that that looks partially covered. Admittedly Ive not seen alot of them with my own eyes but my '66 289 does not have that nore does my '89 Mustang (aka HO) 5.0L. Ive looked thru all my SBF engine books and dont see anything like that either. The only hole that is in that area (assumed from that pic to be centered in the intake between the two middle runners on each side) would be the passage in the head (and corresponding hole in the intake) for the EGR. But that hole should 100 percent covered by the intake.

I might be inclined to agree with RichV - or am I missing something? Did you run that pic past some of the engine 'guru's' at The Corral?

T

FEP Power Member

I just don't how anything could be wrong with the manifold install. Everything is original to the engine. All the bolts lined up and went in withut issue. All I did is take the manifold off and have it bead blasted, send the car out for rebuild and replate. The bolt holes can't move and there is not like there are any shims or spacers needed. It just looks very strange. The other side has it too. If I remember correctly, when I was removing the gasket from the head there where ports to nowhere in the middle of the head. They were just holes in the head that went nowhere.
    85 GT vert

that hole #1 is empty on my car too...

For an 85 carbed GT, the bracked for the coil does not go in that hole marked #1, it goes on the other side of the engine.

-Mike