Close

FEP Power Member

Default Charcoal canisters questions

I only drive my 85 about 1000 miles per year and I want to remove the charcoal canisters. I will be leaving the egr and air pump funtional.

Do I just remove the canisters and corresponding vac lines and cap any openings?

Also there appears to be an electrical connection and 2 ground wires associated with this system. I'm assuming that I can just disconnect the electrical connection and 2 grounds and it will have no effect on any other engine function. Is this the case?

One last, question, what in the hell is the big plastic ball that fell out of my passenger side fender last night? I have no pics at this time but can post if necessary.
    85 GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I only drive my 85 about 1000 miles per year and I want to remove the charcoal canisters. I will be leaving the egr and air pump funtional.

Do I just remove the canisters and corresponding vac lines and cap any openings?

Also there appears to be an electrical connection and 2 ground wires associated with this system. I'm assuming that I can just disconnect the electrical connection and 2 grounds and it will have no effect on any other engine function. Is this the case?

One last, question, what in the hell is the big plastic ball that fell out of my passenger side fender last night? I have no pics at this time but can post if necessary.
    Why do you want to get rid of the charcoal canister? It serves a very important function to hold and store fuel vapors from the tank until they can be burned in the engine. Without this you may run into big trouble with your fule tank pressurizing. A FEPr recently posted about this problem and it turned out his car was exactly like what you are planning to do. Big mistake:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=59083

The plastic sphere is a vacuum reservoir. Some cars had two of them inside the passenger side fender well (no sure though if they were both sphere shaped). One is for the emissions control system and one was for the HVAC controls. Do not 'delete' these things either.

T