Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 85 mustang

Quote Originally Posted by kingstang View Post
    Vega with a automatic or stick? most Vegas weighed in at 2500lbs(dont take much to snatch the wheels off the ground).................7.5 rear behind the vega will last longer then it behind a 3300lb mustang.
    It's a V8 friggen Vega running low 11's on drag slicks. It really is irrelevant that it is an automatic. It has enough power/torque to click off 11's and pull the wheels and the 7.5 is hanging together. Give credit where credit is due.
    "At the sign of the Cat..."

My Capri is for sale. $3250 with all the parts I have for it. Consider trade for Kaw 750 Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by 85_Capri_4v View Post
    It's a V8 friggen Vega running low 11's on drag slicks. It really is irrelevant that it is an automatic. It has enough power/torque to click off 11's and pull the wheels and the 7.5 is hanging together. Give credit where credit is due.
    1. No credit to give in that situation, an automatic does not put the stress a manual does on a rear end

2. Add stick shift along with 800lbs to the vega and see how long that rear last.

3. Its basic physics

1. No credit to give in that situation, an automatic does not put the stress a manual does on a rear end

2. Add stick shift along with 800lbs to the vega and see how long that rear last.

3. Its basic physics
    Whatever. I guess when you are the King it's good to never be wrong. However with a quick call to the owner I found out the car weighs in at 2900# and since he is 6'4" and solid I have to guess he is at least 180#. Might as well round it up to 3100#.

Now the only real difference is the trans. Plus the fact that he is using slicks. After all the stress is on the spider gears and NOT the pinion.

Hey, it's good to be the king

My Capri is for sale. $3250 with all the parts I have for it. Consider trade for Kaw 750 Vulcan

yeah how hard would it be to run a bootle with the 650 holley for street driving would i have to adjust the carb leaner or richer everytime before using the bottle

Quote Originally Posted by 85_Capri_4v View Post
    Whatever. I guess when you are the King it's good to never be wrong. However with a quick call to the owner I found out the car weighs in at 2900# and since he is 6'4" and solid I have to guess he is at least 180#. Might as well round it up to 3100#.

Now the only real difference is the trans. Plus the fact that he is using slicks. After all the stress is on the spider gears and NOT the pinion.

Hey, it's good to be the king
    Does he have the factory traction-loc in there??????? or is a detroit locker or Auburn unit? with stock axles ?

Quote Originally Posted by 85sally View Post
    yeah how hard would it be to run a bootle with the 650 holley for street driving would i have to adjust the carb leaner or richer everytime before using the bottle
    Some of the Nitrous kits have provisions for fuel to enter the intake under the carb via the adapter plate. Also some of those have adjustable jetting for both the gas and gasoline.

In theory you wouldn't have to rejet the carb BUT you should talk to someone who has had success with nitrous systems.

Does he have the factory traction-loc in there??????? or is a detroit locker or Auburn unit? with stock axles ?
    Stock axles and factory T-Lock. Of course the rear has been freshened up. I am not saying the 7.5 is super strong. I am saying it is stronger than people give it credit for.

It's like the Ford 8" vs the 9" The 8" is plenty strong, maybe stronger than an 8.8" but it is over shadowed by the 9"

Basically I am saying that installation of an 8.8 doesn't have to happen right away unless the 7.5 is already sloppy. Now if I were to buy a set of $200 gears I would either look for an 8.8 with the gears installed already in it used or buy an 8.8 and install the gears. sometimes you can come across the 7.5's with lower gears already. I had saved a 7.5" ranger rear with 3.73's that I was going to swap them into my original 7.5 housing and saw the rear back into it but the scrap guy took my read.

Fargin Icehole, summanbutchin bastage

Quote Originally Posted by 85sally View Post
    oh and any idea about how i could get a liitle better gas milage[without losing the carb] ive heard that gears help but dont really know right now i get like 15 around town putting around and prob around 20 on highway and then probally around nothing if im hard on it lol

oh and i have something funny to say when i got my car it didnt have heat air or a radio and i finally put a radio in it and i was driving around last night and somehow my main power wire got grounded to the antenna wire and my wire caught on fire and filled my car with that stupid burning rubber smell[in hindsight i guess i should of used butt connectors instead of elecrtical tape]
    haha, well next time you do the job solder and use shrink tubing, then electrical tape the whole bundle together.

gears are the ticket, but get an 8.8. i made quick time in destroying my seemingly fine 7.5, 3.27 geared rear on crappy winter tire. you see why i have no faith in them?

you racing him on a track? i know where i am from, if you have nitrous hooked up in your car on the street you can run into some problems with the law.

and stock lt1's are nothing too special. tires help, but what you claim to have in power vs him i don't know that you have a whole lot to worry about. just don't miss a shift, haha.

cale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12