Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
with respect, I have to agree. tons running, including some friends, bone stock 5.0 bottom heads with h/c/i. pass after pass after pass, making 280-320 at the wheels, with never a problem. I actually think the 85+ bottom end is pretty damned stout for stocker.

Well the fact is that Ford says 400 HP for those blocks, as well as the old blocks. Now I believe that the 400HP part is a safe conservative number. I also personally believe that when you build a motor you should balance it and also spend a little more for a good balance job. I believe this will help keep the main caps from walking. I also believe that if at all possible to switch to a 28oz balance because I have a feeling that the 50oz cranks flex over 5500 RPM. Also I know there are different camps that debate over main girdles in that they help or don't help. My personal view point is how can they hurt anything? They may or may not help but they can't hurt.

Yes the 85HO is stout for a stocker and just an E7 upgrade makes a world of difference. It is interesting though. The E7's I used CC'd at 58cc and that was a tight tight fit. The chamber of the E7 isn't as efficient as other chambers. Using E7's with 58cc, taking off E5's with almost 10cc bigger the engine pinged for the 1st time ever on 87 octane. When I switched to Win JR's also with a 58cc chamber but with better flow and burn characteristics I was able to go back to 87 octane with out any audible detonation.