Close

Default T5 driving gear?

Would a std t5 driving speedo gear shaft fit a 90/91 wct5? i bought a 90/91 wct5 and it has no driving gear for speedo but i thought it did so i got one that also compensated the gears for rear but just found out that it has none in there? y would it be that much different not to have one other than taken out for racing purposes?

Jim

Are you missing the drive gear on the output shaft? If so a 6,7,or 8 tooth drive gear will fit. There is no reason to leave it out. The driven gear will also depend on which drive gear you end up using, as well as gear ratio.

Yes the gear seems to be missing, i put my finger in to make sure (i should of did this when i put trans in in the first place) and all i felt was smooth shaft lol so i went to check my other t5 i took out since it was a clicking non world class trans stock 84 the gear is there, so i hope it works from my other t5 so i dont have to look for another tranny to get it out of, any suggestions?

Jim

did you take off the extension housing? Sometimes when the speedo cable get damaged and siezes up, (like from burning on exhaust) the small metal retainer breaks and the drive gear slides away from the driven gear.

i didnt touch the extension housing, the cable worked fine when old t5 was in, i will try and use the old gear so i can have a speedo lol authorities dont accept that excuse anymore ha

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Streetlegal84gt View Post
    i didnt touch the extension housing, the cable worked fine when old t5 was in, i will try and use the old gear so i can have a speedo lol authorities dont accept that excuse anymore ha

Jim
    If the speedo drive gear is missing or slid back on the output shaft, you will be removing the extension housing if you want your speedo to work. The transmission you're having the problem with might be from a newer car with an electronic speedo using a sensor instead of a gear drive.

I mention this because when I got my car the speedo didn't work and upon investigation I found that the drive gear had slid back on the output shaft. When I went to put it back where it belonged I found that there was no hole in the shaft to hold and locate the drive gear retainer clip. This led me to believe that the trans did not come from the factory with a speedo drive gear on it.

The output shaft did have this piece that looks like a square toothed gear on it that isn't shown in the T-5 manual I have. I'm pretty sure it's a sensor for an electronic speedo. See it there at the top of the pic?

At any rate I removed it and there were no ill effects.

The speedo drive gear is the plastic one shown here. In this pic I have already removed the sensor that is shown in the first pic.

Since there was no hole for the retainer clip, I used red locktite on it, and it's still holding up.

Hope this all helps.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Yes it helps thanks for the info to all, this tranny is a 91 i looked up the tag so thats how i know, its supposed to have a 8T driving gear but i will be taking it apart to see soon, in the mean time i'm taking apart my NWC t5 to relearn lol i rebuilt 1 WC t5 back in school in 1999 lol i havent worked on manuals til last year, i do however build C4 and AOD tranny's alot for friends, and engines hopefully starting a small engine shop in my area since not many exist here in PA