Close

Thread: Fuel Problem !!

FEP Senior Member

Question Fuel Problem !!

Heres the deal, Trying to start after sitting 6 months and it wont fire up. i noticed that My clear fuel filter is not completely filled with gas like normally. I have an Eddy 1406 on it and I do have a Holley fuel regulator on it set to 5.5psi. Is it possible that a fuel pump just goes grows weak over sitting ? I pulled the line and turned the key and the fuel comes out of the line like soda coming out of a bottle. I tried shotting a good amount of starting fluid and nothing happened. I pulled a plug and they were not soaked. I even used the screw driver trick and nothing. I also took apart the Holley fuel reg and nothing seemed irregular. Is there anything in the tank that could be the problem ? The coil is very newer but I dont think it is an electrical issue. Also just to make sure the clear glass filters have in and out on them, so i assumed in goes the fuel and out goes to the carb right ?

maybe it just needs to prime? how long did you crank it for? did you pour a little gas down the carb?
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

FEP Senior Member

cranked for awhile with nothing I didnt por gas down the throat but shot a lot of starting fluid with a whole lot of nothing.

pour a decent amount of gas down it

I had the same deal the other day. I had to crank and crank and throw gas down the carb like 6 times before it got primed and now it started right up tonight.

I have a mechanical pump tho...

-Mike

FEP Senior Member

I will give it a shot and see.

If you didn't get any kick from ether, I don't expect pouring raw gasoline down it's throat
    is going to do any better. What it will do is wash down what little oil may be left on the
    cylinder walls.

First thing I would do is pull the spark plugs and see if they're wet...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

New User

If u pour gas in the carb and still dont fire u might want to check for spark.
    1979 Indy pace car 4cyl turbo 4spd
    1979 cobra 302 4spd
    1980 capri
    1982 GT
    1984 GT 350 vert 302 5spd
    1988 ASC vert 302 auto
    1986 svo 2R

FEP Senior Member

Gas down the hatch worked out. Have started it now every now and then today and good to go. Thanks