Close

Default New Motor Won't Start

Has anyone else ever had any problems starting a new engine? I am at my wits end! Here is the link to the build. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=47820

The engine will turn over and acts like it wants to start but it won't. Had someone come over and help and we got it to fire up once for a couple of seconds. We weren't able to keep it running because we had the fuel pump off to be able to hear what it was doing. There was only enough fuel in the bowls to get it started. Tried again but drained the battery. I have gone back and charge the battery and ALMOST got it started but just can't get it. Any suggestions?

Make sure you have the correct firing order. I thought I knew it all with my 83 and low and behold my new engine wouldn't start. Turns out I had the wrong firing order. I hope its that simple!
    911 NEVER FORGET!!
    MILStang

Check to see if the distributor is pointing at the terminal for the number one cylinder when the number one cylinder is at it's compression stroke.

That one got me at least once.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Check to see if the distributor is pointing at the terminal for the number one cylinder when the number one cylinder is at it's compression stroke.

That one got me at least once.

Dean T

+1
    Last time I had a problem I was 180 degrees out.

I had the same thing happen the other day.
    I had installed the distributor one tooth off.

Try moving the distributor as far as it will go
    in all directions before you restab it.
    Randall

78 Fairmont Sedan
    408/t5/8.8-3.73

81 Fairmont Wagon
    5.0/t5/8.8-3.55

check dist . yes if that dont work maybey your compression is a lil low rings not seated a lil put 2 oz oil in each cyl had a problem with one one time a real old dude told me try it it worked now before i fire up any thing thats been all the way apart i put oil in the holes
    86 GT Black "Elle" Center force, World Class T5, longtubes,underdrives,CAI, 87 throttle body and intake plenum with 1/2" spacer 13.89 at 101 . 180000mi now there is water in the oil an Working on an explorer gt40p and xcam combo,mass air conversion 9AL.
    87 short bed 351w 4x4 4 speed daily driver.
    life is short play hard:burnout and throw mud!

Here is the best way to fire up a new motor:
    1. Make sure your at TDC.
    2. Make sure you have your firing order correct
    3. Before you put the dizzy in rotate the the crank to 15 degress BTDC
    4. Put dizzy in making sure your rotor is pointing to #1 plug terminal.
    5. If it doesnt fire up you have fuel or ignition issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmachanic View Post
    check dist . yes if that dont work maybey your compression is a lil low rings not seated a lil put 2 oz oil in each cyl had a problem with one one time a real old dude told me try it it worked now before i fire up any thing thats been all the way apart i put oil in the holes

At this point I am willing to try anything. But any reasoning behind the oil in the cylinders that helps?

FEP Super Member

you don't need to add oil to the cylinders .
    You say it will start and die , or try to start ?
    Are you turning the distributor any while trying to start it ?
    Kingstang is correct in the proper method to install the distributor .
    With a remote starter , it does make the process of getting this sorted out .
    Looks like you have FI. so you will need a fuel preasure gauge , to determined if you have proper preasure .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

The good news is that you have an auto which means your not thrashing the thrust bearing as you hold the clutch and crank. Have you tried giving it a swallow of gas down the choke horn to see if it will run long enough to pick up fuel?
    87 Soarer//1jzgte//r154//bw 83-75