Close

New User

Default transmision swap

Ok, I have an automatic right now, and its giving me grief. Like in my other thread, I said it's slipping.

I'm thinking it shouldnt cost to much to swap out to a T5. But I've been told that the pedal assebly is the most pain in the ass part. Why?

has anyone done this, and if so, any tips would be much apriciated! If I can get the coupe mobile reliably I can keep it. The fate of this car rests on your shoulders FEP! haha j/k!
    2007 Alloy Metallic GT M5 Spoiler Delete
    1979 LX Coupe

The pedal assembly isnt hard to change, its taking the whole dash out to change them thats a PITA. An even bigger PITA is trying to find where the one extra bolt goes.

One thing I would suggest is welding the rear carraige bolts that hold the column to the pedal assembly (I think the fronts are already welded, I know one on mine was) or welding nuts to it instead so you can thread some studs in.

The little clips that hold the rear bolts in the holes could come loose, then its a major pain to put the column back in.
    -Zach
    '81 Zephyr Sedan: In pieces. Some at the garage, some under my bed, etc...

FEP Super Member

No need to take the dash out .
    Remove the driver seat ,and the rest is a breeze .
    It is really a straight forward procedure
    you will have to swap holes in the fire wall with the speedometer cable I think it was, but the rest is cake .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

+1

FEP Senior Member At1Maverick69's Avatar

I've done it a few times. The dash doesn't have to come out, it would be easy if you take off the steering column, and the seat, specially if you're a tall guy. Though I know that the older car(79-84), I think has some differences with the pedal assembly, like said above, it's a very direct bolt in. Of course, some choice cuss words are necessary.
    *John*
    1982 GT-$old
    1984 Mercury Capri RS-5.0L, 5 speed, T-Tops-FOR SALE
    1979 Coupe-357ci, auto? stick? COMING SOON
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/At1Maverick

The bottom of my dash bolts to the pedal assembly, I could probably get it out and leave the dash but I'd wind up breaking something, most likely the flimsy dash, right in that corner where the fuse box sits, again.

Of course, I've done enough heater cores that taking a dash out is nothing to me. Maybe a half hour job.
    -Zach
    '81 Zephyr Sedan: In pieces. Some at the garage, some under my bed, etc...

As alluded to, you want the pedal assembly that uses the crappy plastic self adjusting clutch cable quadrant. Replace crappy plastic quadrant with a good aftermarket quadrant and a firewall adjuster.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura