Close

Default Fox K-member swap question..

Doing some research on my parts car, I found out it was a T-bird Sport, according to some info on the coolcats forum it has heavier springs & a better sway bar, at least better than mine..I know the bird/cats are on the same platform, but can I but that member in my GT without any modification?
    I am already going to be bringing the rack over as its in much better shape than mine, but wasnt sure if the member would bolt right in or not.

A TBird Sport would be an 87-88, which would not be something you would want to use on a Fox Mustang.

They use oddball motor mounts. The front track would also be wider.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    A TBird Sport would be an 87-88, which would not be something you would want to use on a Fox Mustang.

They use oddball motor mounts. The front track would also be wider.
    Yup, it is an 88, and those were some very strange mounts...I was just hoping to use that member & swap everything over.. what about the swaybar/rack, will it fit, or is it the same situation..main reason for this is it's going on an 82, so it is to do a little bit of updating in the process...

rack will fit...so will sway bar, leave the kmember alone...
    85 GT T-Top
    85 GT Convertible
    85 GT HB
    85 LX HB Option delete

1 very lonely wife that doesnt like cars

Swaybar might fit. You may need the Mustang brackets and endlinks though.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Thanks guys, youre awesome. This is why I love this forum..

i had one of those, always wondered why it had those perch style mounts, i had a set of ford racing shorty headers and they hit on the mounts.

Ok, here is what I have ..

but the book says this is a Lincoln /t-bird style k-member.. as it matches fig9/9..any ideas?

FEP Senior Member

looks just like a fairmont zephyr.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

workhorse302

Default Kmember

The TBird k member will fill the only thing that is gonna be a problem is the back 4 k member bolts to put a tbird k member into a mustang you will have to make up 1 inch spacers for the back part of the k member that bolts to the lower frame rails but other wise it will fit and be the same width its not bad i had to do the opposite to get a fox kmember to fit in to my mark VII i had to put spacers underneath the front frame rails on top of the spring perch

workhorse302

Default K Member

Oh yeah and just to add all fox lincolns had air ride suspensions so they had a totally different k member thats why i swapped a mustang into mine so i could have a spring suspension i know i could of just bought the spring conversion kit for a lincoln but i wanted stock componets