Close

Default Looking at buying 85 GT-need buying tips

Hi everyone, new here. I am looking at buying a very nice 85 Mustang GT. It has just over 68,000 miles(110,000 kms I'm in Canada), original paint (jalepena red) and interior(grey). It has alum. Edelbrock heads, BBK full length headers with stainless Flowmaster exhaust, MDS ign.(wires, dist.cap, ign. module), cam, intake and carb have been changed, subframe connecters and 17" chrome pony wheels. Current owner claims dyno numbers of 345hp at the engine.

I had one 13 years ago and have been bitten by the Mustang bug again. I have watched for the "right" car now for 6 months or more. Finally this one has come up and is exactly what I was looking for. It's the right color(same as my first 85) and has alot of the mods that I was wanting to do anyway. So, I know these cars pretty well but not as well as some of you guys on this board. What are some of the things I should be looking for when I go to look at this car? Was just looking for some pointers from the experts that I may overlook. I have to drive 12 hours to look at the car so I don't want to miss anything. Thanks in advance.

Here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

The obvious, accident damage, rust etc..

Other areas, torn/ripped torque boxes, crushed front frame rails from improper jacking.

The car looks clean in the pics, and I would suggest taking someone with you that doesn't care if you buy the car or not, that way you have an unblinded opinion. Gerald

Ya was thinking the same about taking someone. As soon as I saw the pictures I just had to have it. Car is not supposed to have any rust, came from west coast and not driven in the winter months. I know the back hatch and bottom of the doors are bad for rust, any other areas?
    Last edited by fordgt40; 04-08-2008 at 10:46 PM.

Different parts of the country promote rust in different areas, just spend a good ammount of time looking it over well. The car looks great in the pics, and I too would be tempted to buy it, but I would absolutely take someone along.

Thanks, good advice.

Almost forgot, take a good, bright flashlight as well , easier to inspect the undercarriage.