Close

Default Carburator Issues 3.3 1bbl

I'm not sure if I am having issues with my carburator or not but these are the symptoms. I have Eibach pro-kit suspension and sensitrack shocks/struts. When I corner hard under power the vehicle seems to hesitate or lose most of its power in a jerky, un regulated fasion. I can make this happen on a regular basis. Also when I back up and stop sharply my car stalls every time. One other thing, the automatic choke won't kick down sometimes even when the vehicle has gone through its heating cycle. Also when driving it will occasionally go from idling at 800RPM to idling at 2,000RPM for no reason. Any insight to my issues would be greatly appreciated!
    1980 Mustang Ghia 3.3 4spd

Cool

change the fuel filter get a can of carb cleaner and spray the carb down good get 2 cans of seafoam put one in the gas tank and 1 down the carb or use a vac. hose after you get the engine up to temp
    check for vac. leaks and it may be a good idea to change your timing chain how many miles are on the 3.3 and how old are the ign. coil, wires, plugs, and dist. cap?

FEP Member

My buddy's '79 with the 3.3 inline 1bbl did this as well, but you had to be hot-dogging it pretty good to do it. We tried 3 rebuilt carbs, all the same issue, We figured it was just the nature of the beast, had terrible luck with those carbs.
    79 Notchback Capri 5.0/TKO - Sold
    88 GT TTOP 5.0/5spd - Sold
    86 GT 5.0/5spd Boltons - Sold
    89 LX Vert 5.0 5spd - Sold
    89 LX 2.3/Auto - Sold
    95 5.0/5spd boltons wingless & no power options

Quote Originally Posted by darko View Post
    change the fuel filter get a can of carb cleaner and spray the carb down good get 2 cans of seafoam put one in the gas tank and 1 down the carb or use a vac. hose after you get the engine up to temp
    check for vac. leaks and it may be a good idea to change your timing chain how many miles are on the 3.3 and how old are the ign. coil, wires, plugs, and dist. cap?
    It has 165,112 Kms, I've checked the vaccume lines and they read consistant and good. No idea how old the coil is, the wires are 6 months old, I'm putting in some Bosch plugs this week, and no idea how old the dist. cap is.

Cool

just use autolite 46 plugs and it would be a good idea to change the timing chain and the coil and the cap and rotor
    Last edited by darko; 04-08-2008 at 08:50 PM.

I believe that issue when cornering is a known issue with most carburetors. '60s Shelbys had Holleys with center pivoting floats (or something like that, my memory is hazy + I know very little about carburetors) that prevented engine issues during hard cornering.
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 - Ran into a tree (fixed!)
    2005 Ranger XLT 4x4 - Daily Driver/Tow vehicle
    1992 Mustang LX 2.3 - MPG baby yeah!
    1994 Explorer - Fix 'n Flipper

Cool

murphy its fuel slosh the timing chain being worn has more to do with it, with the stalling in rev unless the clutch is worn

how much would a timing chain run me? how easy are they to install?

Cool

the timing set is 16.99 usd the gasket set is 13.99 w/o sleeve n seal 19.99 usd w/sleeve n seal at auto zone
    and if you want you can save up for classicinlines jp performance duel roller chain set its 99.00 usd tho

what kind of work have you done on cars?

I do all the regular maintainence stuff like oil changes, sparkplugs ect. Ive also installed shocks,springs, and struts. I've also done all breaks front and back, rotors and everything.

Cool

its not to hard take your time and you should be able to do it if you want to