Close

Thumbs up No Power on the Small Terminal on the Starter Relay/Solenoid

I checked with my test lite and confirmed that there is no power on the small terminal on the starter relay. It is the small terminal with the "L" shaped rubber boot that is a push in type connector.

I thought this was ignition switch related but wasn't as I just replaced it with a new one today. Brand new starter relay works because I jumped the small terminal and the car cranked over.

However, I noticed the last time car cranked over fine with the small terminal connected there was a little smoke that came from that same area. I am guessing I blew a fusible link or burnt a wire that is somehow wired to that small terminal. Can you please advise on what is the best way to trouble shoot this. I am at work today and Saturday and will most likely starte trouble shooting Sunday and Monday which are my days off.
    Last edited by AOD86GT; 04-04-2008 at 04:52 PM.

That terminal wont have power unless the key switch is turned to start.

In other words the wire with the angled boot is the power wire that triggers the solenoid and connects the power from the battery to the starter. When you release the key it cuts the power to the solenoid, releasing it, thus cutting power to the starter.
    Last edited by gregpro50; 04-04-2008 at 05:14 PM.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Quote Originally Posted by AOD86GT View Post
    I checked with my test lite and confirmed that there is no power on the small terminal on the starter relay. It is the small terminal with the "L" shaped rubber boot that is a push in type connector.

I thought this was ignition switch related but wasn't as I just replaced it with a new one today. Brand new starter relay works because I jumped the small terminal and the car cranked over.

However, I noticed the last time car cranked over fine with the small terminal connected there was a little smoke that came from that same area. I am guessing I blew a fusible link or burnt a wire that is somehow wired to that small terminal. Can you please advise on what is the best way to trouble shoot this. I am at work today and Saturday and will most likely starte trouble shooting Sunday and Monday which are my days off.
    So much for paying attention, I just wrote a book in your eariler thread, you might wan't to check it out.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 83 V8 RS T's View Post
    So much for paying attention, I just wrote a book in your eariler thread, you might wan't to check it out.
    Copy that. Will look into it the dash behind the gauges. Thanks for your input.

Thumbs up

After researching that "s" terminal on the starter solenoid connects to the neutral safety switch (being an automatic) which then becomes the pink and white wire that connects to the ignition switch. Checked all the fusible links near the starter solenoid and they checked fine using the probe light. Next to check is the neutral safety switch itself. Should solve it this weekend.

FEP Member

Solenoid is probley bad
    jump a wire from the "S" the positive cable if it crank it's in the ing wire if not it's in the solenoid relay
    Don't confuse a talent with a skill. A skill can be learned !

Quote Originally Posted by 85-gt-baby View Post
    Solenoid is probley bad
    jump a wire from the "S" the positive cable if it crank it's in the ing wire if not it's in the solenoid relay
    I already did that (jumped small terminal to positive battery cable terminal) and car cranks so the starter solenoid is still good. Have to trace wire back to neutral safey switch and then to ignition switch with probe light and see where there is 12 volts.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 83 V8 RS T's View Post
    Problem solved. My baby is back to life--I am so happy after a long down time. Traced to a bad wire from the neutral safety switch which was barely making contact because it burned off the h-pipe. The "s" terminal wire connects to the safety neutral switch. Feel so happy as I didn't have to tow her to any shop to be serviced.