Close

FEP Senior Member

Default chassis upgrades? who makes better stuff?

I have an 86 gt convertable. I want to add subframe connectors, a strut tower brace, shock ties, k frame brace, and mayby lifting rails on the rockers, the goal is to stiffen the body to allow for a better handleing car, I will not drag race this car. I have been looking at steeda, and maximum motorsports, both make what I am looking for. So, my question is Who has tried what, and are you happy?

Full length subs and a strut tower brace will make the car feel much better, my rollbar in vert helped as well. I have a set of full length subs MM, and a Jamex 4 pt. aluminum strut tower brace(discontinued), I would also look into atleast a 4 pt. rollbar.

FEP Senior Member

I don't like the roll bar look, need the back seat, I want to stiffen up the chassis to improve handeling, and allow for suspension upgrades later.

Seat mount enforcment, tower bar/monte carlo bar, SFC's. They have removable harness bars, I havent figured out if I want a back seat or not.

I bought some subframes today. Ill let ya know how they work out on my coupe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-04...em260225851969
    79 Coupe
    5.0 swap complete, T5 swap complete, 8.8 swap complete. 13.9s @98

I have a 4 pt, with no center bar, I still have a useable back seat. Mine is a competition engineering.

FEP Super Member

Stay with the brand name parts and you cant go wrong. Steeda/MM/Ford/J/M/Griggs etc etc.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

I currently have subframes, 4 point lower, and strut tower brace. All is Kenny Brown. I'm pretty impressed with them.
    Benny
    -------------------------------
    86' Mustang LX 5.0L Notchback
    08' Toyota 4Runner
    03' Lexus RX300

Kenny Brown is out of the parts business.

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Maximum Motorsports builds quality products that are well designed. I've bought & installed both the drag lower control arms and roll cage I purchased from them. I will continue to buy from them in the future as well IMHO......
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

FEP Senior Member

brand names seem to equal quality. I want to use the same brand thru out, I have some suspension upgrades planned for later (springs, shocks, struts and control arms), so I figure that the best handeling and ride comes from both the chassis and suspenion, it should all work together, as a package.

I installed Kenny Brown's SFC, "G-Load" brace and STB on my 86 GT vert about 12 years ago; made a huge diffrence in how the chassis responds. The STB really helped with the vert cowl shake. Before he went out of business, I installed more or less the same parts on my '01 Cobra vert plus his CC plates and the so-called "jacking rails" - I really like the jacking rails and recommend them if you are able to get some and are not class limited by such additions. Now back to the 86 - I needed some CC plates but because KB was out of business I switched to MM parts. Unfortunately, due to interferance the KB STB will not allow full adjustment of the MM CC plates, so I ditched the KB piece and purchased the MM version - a completely different attachment design by the way. Ultimately, I've gone all MM in the rear suspension with LCAs and a PHB. Anyway, but for the interferance mentioned above, the KB and MM parts work just fine together and along with the stock/FRPP pieces. However, for compatibility reasons I'd stay with one manufacturer. Whatever your chassis-stiffening component choice is, your vert will be noticibly tighter, and respond better to other upgrades.