Close

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

Default AOD Identification

I need help IDing an AOD I bought yesterday. It is supposed to be out of a late 80's Mustang but I want to be 100% what it is out of and what year. I will be the first to admit that I don't know much about AOD's other than I never wanted one. There is a hexagon recess in the opp of the case that has "88" cast into it. My first thought is that is the year but I don't know. I also cant remember what the correct tail shaft length is. I'm thinking the Lincoln trans had a longer one that the Mustang but again I'm not positive. I have come up pretty dry searching for ID number info on these. Here is the info off the tag. If anyone can decode this, I really appreciate it.

PKA DZ1
    017619 K4
    E9ZP AB

It also came with a brand new 3000 stall that looks amazingly like a stock one but thats a whole nuther chapter.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400

The E9ZP is a mustang part#. Also floor shift and column shift cars use a different gear selector pawl.

Quote Originally Posted by gdniel View Post
    The E9ZP is a mustang part#. Also floor shift and column shift cars use a different gear selector pawl.
    Is there any way to tell if it has the correct pawl without dropping the pan? Was the E9ZP strictly Mustang where it it would definately be set up for floor shift or was it used in any other applications? Is therer anything in there that indicates a year and that it was a V8 trans and not a V6?
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5

E9ZP literally decodes as 1989 Mustang automatic transmission.
    That doesn't tell you what engine it was behind, but the bellhousing pattern should
    give you some clues. It's fairly easy to upgrade the 'lesser' AOD internals to V8-spec.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Tomorrow I will post a pic of my AOD that is from a mustang and you can compare the shift lever.

E9ZP.... is an engineering number, not a part number, and it only means it was ORIGINALLY DESIGNED FOR an '89 Mustang.

Is there a "serial number" (last six of a VIN) stamped to the main case?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    E9ZP.... is an engineering number, not a part number, and it only means it was ORIGINALLY DESIGNED FOR an '89 Mustang.

Is there a "serial number" (last six of a VIN) stamped to the main case?
    There is a flat pad on top near where the tail shaft housing bolts on. It has KF132513 on it and it looks hand stamped.

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    That doesn't tell you what engine it was behind, but the bellhousing pattern should
    give you some clues. It's fairly easy to upgrade the 'lesser' AOD internals to V8-spec.
    It does have a V8 bell housing pattern but it seems like I remember reading that some V6 patterns were the same. Could be dreaming on that one though. Anyhow, I don't want to upgrade the "lesser" internals because the transmission is a fresh rebuild. The seller told me that they had it rebuilt for a backup for a race car but it was never installed.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5

K = 1989 model year
    F = Dearborn, MI assembly plant (DAP)
    132513 = production sequence number

The Mustang was the only vehicle produced at DAP in '89 so what you have is indeed from an '89 Mustang.

K = 1989 model year
    F = Dearborn, MI assembly plant (DAP)
    132513 = production sequence number

The Mustang was the only vehicle produced at DAP in '89 so what you have is indeed from an '89 Mustang.
    Thank you sir. I feel better about it now. The guy seemed real straight up about it but I just wanted to make sure what I had.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5

If it's cast in, it's an engineering number. I believe its a bit different when the number is
    stamped on a tag.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

The "P" in E9ZP is what tells you it's an engineering number as that letter designates a product engineering office. If it were a "service part" it would have been a "Z".

P = Transmission and Axle Engineering; Powertrain and Chassis Product Engineering (Automatic Transmissions)

R = Transmission and Axle Engineering; Powertrain and Chassis Product Engineering (Manual Transmissions)

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    theres a few things wrong with this

as fox said that just means thats what it was designed for or put in...

in 89 the only engine options were the 5.0 and the 2.3. the a4ld used behind the 2.3 is quite different than an AOD.

pre 87 cars that had the 3.8 v6 came with a 3 speed, c5 transmission.
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

Quote Originally Posted by StangBoy View Post
    theres a few things wrong with this

as fox said that just means thats what it was designed for or put in...

in 89 the only engine options were the 5.0 and the 2.3. the a4ld used behind the 2.3 is quite different than an AOD.

pre 87 cars that had the 3.8 v6 came with a 3 speed, c5 transmission.
    Yes, and that's what the suffix letters are for. We already knew this one was an AOD going in...

Whether or not this trans actually -came- from a Mustang, or was just designed to go
    -into- a Mustang, I'll leave for others to debate. It makes absolutely no difference here,
    since it's going to go into a Mustang.

My point wasn't so much whether these are engineering numbers or not, but rather, since
    they are tag numbers instead of casting numbers, one can be fairly certain that an AOD
    that carries the 'E9ZP' tag numbers was designed to fit into a Mustang, and therefore,
    -will- fit into a Mustang. You can't necessarily say that about a casting number, because
    the casting number does not take into account any machining that is done.

The only other question was about which engine, and Foxchassis cleared that up.
    Don't much care beyond that...
    Last edited by JACook; 03-30-2008 at 04:37 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

My main concerns were that it was not a Lincoln or truck transmission or something and that it was a V8 transmission. I know that the later 2.3 auto was the A4LD but I thought I remember reading that the AOD was used behind some V6's that had the same bell pattern as the V8's. Not necessarily Mustangs, but something used them all the way back to 1980 I believe.

Since the numbers seem to point to it being an 89 vintage and "designed for" a Mustang, I feel pretty comfortable that it is what I was told it was and that I'm not stuck with a brand new transmission that I cant use. So thanks for the help but please don't stop the debate on my account, its an interesting read.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5