Close

Default Oily Spark Plugs, Not Good.

So I started to change the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor today because the 86 GT seemed down on power. The first two spark plugs I pulled (front of car first) on each side were OK, but the next two had oil on them. Any ideas what this means?
    My Patronus is a Wookie!!!

FEP Super Member

oil where on the plugs ?
    Is the oil on the center electrode ?
    pictures would be easier to diagnose your problem.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

How many miles on the motor? Oil is either getting past the valve seals or piston rings. Either way not good.

I'd say valve stem seals more than likely. not very exspensive and somewhat easy to replace
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

The oil is right below and on the threads, it does not appear to be on the electrode itself. The car has 71,xxx miles on it. It sat for 10 years. I have put about 1500 miles on it since I bought it in December. These are the best pics that I have.

FEP Senior Member

From what I see your valve cover gaskets need replaced. Oil is leaking down onto the plugs.
    1986GT C9 351W. T-3550
    Inner & Outer subs
    Griggs GR40 Suspension
    Panhard bar & Torque arm. Tub Kmember and A-arms.

1982GT w/rear wiper

http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/82...d/MVC-558S.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/MVC-001F.JPG

Not necessarily. Oil on the threads, and around the seat, is pretty common, and often just
    means the plugs were not properly torqued. If the tapered seat is not clean and smooth,
    oil will migrate out past the plug threads. Or it's coming down from the valve covers.

I see nothing on these plugs that would indicate any kind of oil consumption problem.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

OK, big difference. Most likely valve cover gaskets.

OK, so its doesn't look like a major problem. One thing that I forgot to mention is that some of the plugs I didn't even need a wrench to take off. JACook reminded me of that. I will probably replace the valve cover gaskets just to be safe. Maybe I'll even buy some aftermarket valve covers while I'm at it. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred15 View Post
    OK, so its doesn't look like a major problem. One thing that I forgot to mention is that some of the plugs I didn't even need a wrench to take off. JACook reminded me of that. I will probably replace the valve cover gaskets just to be safe. Maybe I'll even buy some aftermarket valve covers while I'm at it. Thanks for the help.
    Get the one piece, reusable gaskets with the steel core. I know Ford Racing makes them and others I am sure. They are on the Ford Racing site and in the Summitt Catalog.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Try just tightning down the valve cover bolts. When I got my car the valve covers were covered with oil. I cleaned the covers and tightened them down, most were only finger tight, if that. A year and a half later they are still nice and clean.
    86 GT