Close

Thread: Engine problems

Default Engine problems

1) My push rod v8 in my truck ran out of oil one night and died. Even after I put oil in it it still knocked so we replaced the water pump and thermostat and changed the oil again the next day. The engine still knocked and I guess the whole two or so weeks I drove it must've been running on seven cylinders. then it died completly and I thought it locked up cause I poped the hood and it shot oil from what appeared to be the exaust manifold and coolant was all over the top.

2) One day I started it after holding the key it turned over, knocking loudly something put a hole in the oil pan. just two days ago we had to move in in our slopped driveway, I backed it in cause thats how I do it. we couldnt get it up the driveway so I said eff-it got in started it up tapping the gas till it ran if I let off it would die. I held the gas and brake put it in reverse and mashed the gas in which it never went past say about 1500 rpm and crawled up the driveway till the torqu converter locked up, it then i guess you could call it sped up. All of this was with it running for atleast almost 8 minutes. Okay five minutes.

1) could it have a bad oil pump? why would it have been running on seven? could it have blew a head/

2) what could have put that hole there, and aslong as it was WOT itd keep running, could it just be a fouled spark plug? The engine basically stayed just above idle even with the pedal mashed to the floor. since it still runs its probably not really major right?

The slow crawl is cause the tranny is messed up for some reason. This is my truck.

sounds like it was rod knock. that hole is probably a piece of a rod or piston being slammed into the oil pan. sounds like the motor needs to be pulled and a new one put in its place.
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

Stick a fork in it sounds like it is done...

Sorry
    And now, for something completely different!!!!

1979 Mecury Capri RS, 5.0.

I am still waiting for the punch line but I am guessing it is not going to happen

When you said F%^$ it, you may have cost yourself your engine, that means block and all! You turned a simple rebuild into a total loss most likely.

If you ran it til it died the day you were "out of oil", you most likely overheated/seized a Rod bearing. The knocking noise was the sound it makes after the Rod bearing failed and broke up. The knocking sound was most likely the Rod end banging around on the crank and because there was now no bearing to keep the piston properly aligned in the bore. The hole in the oil pan was most likely made by the piston skirt breaking or the rod finally bending after miles of abuse.

When your Check Oil light comes on you need to pull over and put oil in it right away and if you don't have a check oil light you need to check your dip stick every couple of weeks. My wife did this to one of her first cars years ago and her dad basically had to throw the motor away and buy a new one because the damage to the block and internals was so extensive.

Hope you have better luck with your new motor, sorry.
    Last edited by Hemlock; 03-26-2008 at 09:03 AM.
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

Bad oil pumps dont punch through the oil pan....broken rods do. You threw a rod, its done.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400

What I ment by a bad oil pump as init not working. Like the guages. the sending unit had a slow leak and Id check it every so often. See this is the help I was looking for. The fact it'll still run amazes me. it sounds bad I know, all these engine problems cam eat once. Im gonna take apart the top end tomorrow when I get off from work. around 2pm my time. if yyall colud be so kind to remind me in case I get on here right after I get home Id appreciate it. You guys was more help than the ones on full size chevy. Yeah my pick up is a 77 K10. I figure any of you with 302's or any experience with pudh rods would be helpfull. I just didnt want this deleted or locked before hand.

OKay I removed the valve covers and all push rods are there so it might have been a piston skirt that put the hole there. Well see when the oil pan comes off. I removed all spark plugs and they are all fouled up. So Im thinking its the oil pump

damn, to be honest with you, don't even bother. Your entire engine is toast. After running like you have, as hemlock says, it may not even be rebuildable. Yanking the oil pan, and engine apart are only going to be wasted time.

start searching for a replacement motor.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

chain-yanking..................nobody, no bo dy is that stup.........

ok,maybe................
    '83 glx vert with '82 gt frontend

if you aren't trying to blow the horn with the signal lever and reaching for the key release button on your other vehicles,you're not driving the fox enough !

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    What I ment by a bad oil pump as init not working. Like the guages. the sending unit had a slow leak and Id check it every so often. See this is the help I was looking for. The fact it'll still run amazes me.............
    That motor is pooched, dont waste your time taking apart the top end unless its got a nice intake manifold or carb. If you're amazed THAT ran, here's a story for you:
    At my old shop, the boss would be given a car every now and then by some nice long time customers who bought new or just wanted to get rid of their old junker. We were given a clean '87 Civic 5 door, and decided to play smash up derby with it (vs a 4 cyl Mustang, guess who won ). After that, we decided to replicate one of those cheesy engine additive commercials with it. First we drained the oil. Then we opened up the oil fill, dumped in sand, bits of broken glass, and I grabbed a sledgehammer to wedge onto the gas pedal. Started it up and ran it to redline and held full throttle til the engine caught fire about 3-4 minutes later!!! Put the fire out and said "hey, you think it'll start again?". So we started it again. It ran for a few more minutes, till a rod broke and slammed a huge hole in the side of the block!! I quickly shut it off, then we asked that same question again; "Ya think it'll run again??". And so I started it, and it idled perfect. We couldnt believe it. We ran it full throttle again for a few minutes til it caught fire again and the boss told us not to try starting it again!! That car got some serious respect! We were all amazed then, and still are today at how much abuse that thing took!
    SS

Seriously?!! Man the loud knocking should have been a dead give away at a rod. unless you've never dealt with pushrods and always with mod motors. No offense man but reading that i was waiting to read. "I'm just kidding guys anyone know where i can get a good rebuild kit and or stroker kit?". I guess you live and you learn. You need a new block and a new oil guage it seems. Good luck with the truck.

Yep, I have a few answers to my craigslist post. No use tearing it down unless I wanna see what happened.