Close

Default Capri Buck Tag Help

Can anyone decode my buck tag? ( Negusm ??) I just got this & I believe it was a 4 cyl car converted to a 5.0 The car has been repainted & the door sticker is gone but it still has the buck tags. It's a 1985 w/ac vents, man windows & power locks,& rear defrost on the bubble hatch.

Capri
    624374 61D F MO 069
    9NN DF ST
    AC 06 RA HB S
    CRS DL MBW 04 V
    ELECTRIC-E NLR 4

The other tag says... Road Abrasion twice?
    Last edited by Capri Stang 5.0; 03-23-2008 at 10:21 PM.

The vin# will give you the engine code. I don't think the buck tag will.

That's looks like a 83....... Definately not a 85.

The first F=1985 & it's titled as an 85 too. I believe the A= 4cyl, but I'm not 100% sure on that. The thing that really throws me is ...the hood looks like an earlier year, & the steering wheel is not correct for 85, other than that it looks very original inside. The whole car looks to be that brown color like from the factory. I mean under the headliner, under the hood, behind the dash, under the carpet, all the door jams, everywhere like factory paint. The outside has been repainted at some point because it's starting to peel in places and you can see the factory paint. I don't think this car was stripped bare and repainted which is why I would like to decode the buck tag.
    Last edited by Capri Stang 5.0; 01-06-2010 at 07:12 PM.

1MEBP = Mercury Passenger car
    79 = Capri
    A = 4cyl
    7 = Ceck Digit
    F = 1985
    F = Dearborn
    616808 = CUN

On your bucktag..."624374" should match the CUN. It does not.

The car may have had the front nose replaced.

-Mike

yeah okay I think the A is 4cyl..
    it's built like a 83 RS. Also the molding looks pre 85.

Does the hood have cut out in it ?
    Last edited by fredzilla; 03-23-2008 at 09:31 PM.

Hmmmm, so that could be why it looks like an early model? Negusm, can you still decode the buck tag & thanks for your help.

Fredzilla, yes it does.

I looked under the front of the car & it looks like the frame has been welded on both sides?? At first I thought someone replaced some rot, but now I'm thinking it may have been in a wreck & then fixed.
    Last edited by Capri Stang 5.0; 03-23-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post

On your bucktag..."624374" should match the CUN. It does not.

-Mike
    umm yeah that would be welrd too.

that buck tag is from a different car.

I can do most but I would wait for Foxchassis as he can do the most.

I'll do a few:

CAPRI = Capri
    624374 = CUN
    61D = CAPRI
    F = 5.0 (if I have this right...this would be an early code...1983 was the last year for an F engine code)
    9NN = Desert Tan Metallic (not available past 1984 and only on the RS in 83)
    AC = AC
    CRS = RS
    MBW = Manual Borg Warner tranny (t5)

That buck tag is from a 1983 RS car.

-Mike

I should correct myself, I think the buck tag is right in the vin is from a different car.

Vin tag looks good. Looks like there has been some frontend & frame work done at some time, I'm starting to think this car was wrecked & then repaired with the 83 front clip. I think that buck tag came with the 83 clip. I'm changing the interior to black so I will start checking out everything very closely. Someone cut the floor shift hole to make it larger too?? It now has the drive train from a 91 GT. I believe this car was an orginal 4 cyl car.

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    CAPRI = Capri
    624374 = CUN
    61D = CAPRI
    F = 5.0 (if I have this right...this would be an early code...1983 was the last year for an F engine code)
    9NN = Desert Tan Metallic (not available past 1984 and only on the RS in 83)
    AC = AC
    CRS = RS
    MBW = Manual Borg Warner tranny (t5)
    MO = moonroof
    RA = road abrasion/lower body protection (rough-textured lower body coating, painted body color)
    HB = heated back glass/rear defrost
    S = speed control
    DL = power door locks (but no power windows, would be PWD if both)
    04 = hood scoop
    -E = Walnut (dark brown) interior trim color ('83 only color)

So, yes, it's seems to be an '85 Capri, originally a 2.3L but converted to a 5.0L, with an '83 RS (5.0L) Body/Buck Tag.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FoxChassis....thanks for the help.

OR the VIN plate has been replaced and the Body/Buck Tag is correct for the car. Probably not since the '83 Body/Buck Tag is for a Desert Tan Metallic and the paint you found in the interior is brown (Dark Clove Brown Metallic ?).

You seriously need to post some pictures.

Maybe even get the serial numbers, casting numbers, and tag numbers from the block, transmission, and rear end.

The tag on the rearend is toooo rusty to read...& I have'nt checked the trans or block yet, but I will soon!! I was told the drivetrain is out of a 91 mustang GT....& it does have a T5 in it. The cross member looks to have been replaced not too long ago & so does the K-member. This is the only pitcure I have of it before I started tearing it down. The pics make it look really good, but not so. The bottom of the doors were rotted as well as the front floor pans on both sides......& look just behind the rear wheel, you can see where the wheel broke all the lug nuts off and $#&% up the quarter. It did'nt have any Tan anywhere just brown.
    Last edited by Capri Stang 5.0; 01-06-2010 at 07:16 PM.

There is a "serial number" (last six characters of a VIN) on both the block and transmission that will tell you exactly which vehicle they're from.

There is a casting number and date code on the rear that will tell you what vehicle the rear is from and what year and day the housing was cast. The tag will only tell you the day, month, and year the assembly was made, not what car it was from.