Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default intercool a N/A car?

Would a intercoolcer make a difference on a nmaturallt aspirated car? I havent figured out how to design a way for it to work.

Nope, won't work.

Best you can do is "cold air induction".
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    Would a intercoolcer make a difference on a nmaturallt aspirated car? I havent figured out how to design a way for it to work.
    If you are trying to cool the intake charge, might i suggest propane or water injection. Or route a CAI to the fender wells
    84 Capri RS T-Roof 351c
    95 Cobra Two Top #167

I had this crazy idea once to use my AC as a way to cool intake air but it never made it out of my head. I also had a similar idea of using AC to blow cold air down onto a Turbo Coupe intercooler on my Merkur but again that one never made it out either. Now neither car has AC so neither one will happen.
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 KY Highway Patrol SSP Coupe
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

I know everyone says it wont work, but the honda types have setups like that all the time for the N/A cars.
    1985 Capri RS 5.0 5 Speed
    1994 Thunderbird LX 4.6
    1978 Country Squire 7.5
    2004 Mustang GT 4.6

cold air induction is about as good as it gets for a n N/A car. the point of an intercooler on a turbo car works because the turbo is cooled by the antifreeze/water mixture from the block/radiator.. meaning the air gets warm. an N/A car doesn't warm the air at any point until it gets to carb/throttle body, so an intercooler would basically be pointless.
    82 Capri - 306, C4
    85 Bronco mud truck
    88 S10 minitruck
    94 shortbed F150 mud truck

CK Performance & Minis

Quote Originally Posted by supergordo View Post
    but the honda types have setups like that all the time for the N/A cars.
    Honda guys have a lot of useless setups ...
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

The reason for an intercooler is to cool the air charge. Not because some turbos have coolant going through them. Building pressure creates heat, and when you start running big boost it creates more heat. Take the turbo to the topend of efficiency range and you will create alot of heat. The more heat you force into the motor less power it will make. You could safely run 7-8lbs with no intercooler.

Yeah Honda guys are know to use interfoolers. The AC idea isn't worth it becuase of the drag from the AC compressor.
    1984 SVO - .63 T3/T4, NPR, LA3, Boport 1.5
    1984 GT - 306

Quote Originally Posted by supergordo View Post
    I know everyone says it wont work, but the honda types have setups like that all the time for the N/A cars.
    There is a CIA the looks just like an intercooler the honDUH's are using. It mounts right in front.

Cost/time effectiveness of fabing an intercooler are greatly offset for the very minimal(if any) benefits it would produce. Meth or propane would yield better results.
    84 Capri RS T-Roof 351c
    95 Cobra Two Top #167

Just remember that the rules of thermodynamics apply to our cars.... You CANNOT cool air (or anything else) below ambient with nothing but ambient air. If anything you will heat it slightly from the restriction of flowing though the intercooler.

On the same note Wind Chill dosen't apply to your car
    It puts the ATF in the T5... IT DOES AS IT'S TOLD!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by byondevl View Post
    There is a CIA the looks just like an intercooler the honDUH's are using. It mounts right in front.

Cost/time effectiveness of fabing an intercooler are greatly offset for the very minimal(if any) benefits it would produce. Meth or propane would yield better results.
    And sucks up water
    No matter where you go, there you are

Quote Originally Posted by redroc View Post
    The reason for an intercooler is to cool the air charge. Not because some turbos have coolant going through them. Building pressure creates heat, and when you start running big boost it creates more heat. Take the turbo to the topend of efficiency range and you will create alot of heat. The more heat you force into the motor less power it will make. You could safely run 7-8lbs with no intercooler.
    that as well, thanks for filling in on my goof up.
    82 Capri - 306, C4
    85 Bronco mud truck
    88 S10 minitruck
    94 shortbed F150 mud truck

CK Performance & Minis

Quote Originally Posted by KJDad View Post
    Yeah Honda guys are know to use interfoolers. The AC idea isn't worth it becuase of the drag from the AC compressor.
    That was pretty much what i came to. The only thing i thought was with the intercooler it might cool the intercooler enough to cool the air enough and in turn make enough power to compensate the AC and a bit more than it would be without the AC, but if i'm gonna go through all that trouble i'd just get an air to water and call it a day.
    Last edited by 85_SS_302_Coupe; 03-21-2008 at 01:27 AM.
    -EVIL SSP-
    '85 KY Highway Patrol SSP Coupe
    Walk around/exhaust clip

-David

Quote Originally Posted by redroc View Post
    You can go with a water to air IC (or is it the other way?) anyhow then youd have to make sure there is a cold water tank with ice in it ...IMHO not worth the money or the hassel for a DD..BTW hondas need all the help they can get they need to put a R in the gas ...it gives them like 25 hp....Oh sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by 85_SS_302_Coupe View Post
    I had this crazy idea once to use my AC as a way to cool intake air but it never made it out of my head. I also had a similar idea of using AC to blow cold air down onto a Turbo Coupe intercooler on my Merkur but again that one never made it out either. Now neither car has AC so neither one will happen.
    I think I read that Ford was toying with this idea on the supercharged engines.Lightnings I think.

I could use that Honda intake, Ive drawn up some stuff like that and have been trying to desing something like that who makes it? I thought air to water I/C's worked with the water pump? I thought about using my thermactor if I can find where its at like a super charger.

The most efficent air intake tract is one that has LEAST possible amount of tubing and the STRAIGHTest possible path to the cylinders. The more tubing and the more radiuses you put in that path, the more resistance the air will encounter, thus decreasing the highest possible airflow AND heating the air up more than necessary.

You're going to spend a lot of time and money for nothing, to add an "intercooler" to a naturally aspirated engine. You're going to heat the air up with all that extra tubing and all the extra bends in, and having to go through a heat exchanger, only to then try to cool it back down to where it was at the beginning of this whole rigmarole. This and every other "trick" to re-invent the wheel, including using the air conditioning or Thermactor air pump as a "supercharger", has been pondered long before now, and dismissed as tomfoolery

I declare Shenanigans!!
    1985 Capri RS 5.0 5 Speed
    1994 Thunderbird LX 4.6
    1978 Country Squire 7.5
    2004 Mustang GT 4.6

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    The most efficent air intake tract is one that has LEAST possible amount of tubing and the STRAIGHTest possible path to the cylinders. The more tubing and the more radiuses you put in that path, the more resistance the air will encounter, thus decreasing the highest possible airflow AND heating the air up more than necessary.

You're going to spend a lot of time and money for nothing, to add an "intercooler" to a naturally aspirated engine. You're going to heat the air up with all that extra tubing and all the extra bends in, and having to go through a heat exchanger, only to then try to cool it back down to where it was at the beginning of this whole rigmarole. This and every other "trick" to re-invent the wheel, including using the air conditioning or Thermactor air pump as a "supercharger", has been pondered long before now, and dismissed as tomfoolery
    exactly. For the money and time spent....you could have easily fumigated(propane) or sparayed meth(water) injection. I still do not see signficant gains. These methods come into play for running alot of boost, and running increased timing.
    84 Capri RS T-Roof 351c
    95 Cobra Two Top #167

Quote Originally Posted by byondevl View Post

Okay so my idea sucked. but I still want to know who makes this CAI, this would be perfect for what In trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody View Post
    but I still want to know who makes this CAI, this would be perfect for what In trying to do.
    I think that's a combination of a ram air intake with an intercooler look. See mfpmax's note about sucking up water.

The picture looks like an air filter to me, not an intercooler.

Quote Originally Posted by TuxStang View Post
    Honda guys have a lot of useless setups ...
    HAHA i was about to ask why you thought that anything those guys do is a good idea.
    1985 Mustang GT:
    347 stroker
    Holley 750 double pumper
    xe274hr comp cam
    Victor jr. intake
    RPM aluminum heads
    roller rockers
    equal length shorty headers
    electric fan
    afco aluminum radiator
    american thunder series flowmasters
    pace setter off road h-pipe
    chrome OEM cobra rims

Quote Originally Posted by 85vert View Post
    I think that's a combination of a ram air intake with an intercooler look. See mfpmax's note about sucking up water.
    Thats what it is, but Im not going to mount it in the front of the car. Its the flat air filter/intake design I've been drawing up. Now to find out who sells it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast