Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fordfreak300 View Post
    Great! I am looking forward to watching this car progress some more. I bought a kerosene burning heater at home depot. I got mine on sale for $100 it was normally $200. In 20* weather I can keep my garage at 70* easily. (that happens to be the temp I like) But can do 80* if I really wanted also. (it was too warm for me).

I am also wondering how exactly your going to do the paint. The car in th epic the PPG pace car is a hatch and your building a coupe. How are you going to do the lines that swing up and the back of the car?

I plan to do it in by bringing the stripes from the top and bottom of the rear window and splitting them in the middle leaving the trunk black and roof white. the stripes will just be a little thinner.

Progress from tonight!

Started to repair the pass. frame rail. I am going to go into detail as some people have been asking for a write-up on how to do this.

You will need the following tools:

Grinder (4 1/2" electric or 3"air) with cut off wheel and flap disc
    (an air powered right angle grinder w/roloc discs is helpful but not necessary)
    Drill
    combination square
    tape measure
    sharpie marker
    Spot weld cutter
    drill bits 1/8 & 5/16"
    center punch
    hammer
    cold chisel
    weld through primer
    welder
    safety gear

Step one . Determine how much rail you are going to cut out and mark it with the square and sharpie. Using the grinder cut on the lines being careful to only cut through the outer skin at the top of the rail by the cap and inner fender.

Step two. Then take the flap disc and lightly grind on the top of the rail inside and outside to reveal the spot welds. Center punch the spot welds and cut them out with the spot weld cutter and drill, again being careful to not go all the way through, just through the first layer. With the chisel and hammer pry the still attached areas of the spot welds off. An old gasket scraper makes a good chisel for doing this as it is thin and doesn't bend the heck out of the parts you are trying to keep.

Step three. Your rail should now look like this:

measure the opening and cut a piece of Sway bar reinforcement 1 1/2 to 2 inches longer. If your rust goes farther down the front of the car and there is not enough reinforcement to overlap on both sides I'll show you how to fix that when I get to the driver's side.

Grind a large radius on the front side of the longer leg of the reinforcement as shown in the above pic. this will allow you to slide the reinforcement into the frame rail.Test fit the reinforcement piece, there should be 3/4-1 inch overlap inside the rail on each side. with the reinforcement removed, drill 7 5/16" holes in each side of the frame rail about 1/4-3/8" away from the edge of the opening(see above pic). 2 holes on the outside of the rail, 2 holes on the bottom, and 3 on the engine compartment side.

Step four. Prime the Reinforcement with weld through primer and plug weld the 14 holes.

That's all the further I got tonight, Stay tuned!
    Last edited by flyin5-o; 05-09-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Progress pics!!

Passenger side welded in.

Driver's side cut out

Hopefully I'll be able to bolt the k member back up soon!

Looking good! Keep it up!
    1982 Capri RS - Sold
    1979 Fairmont - Sold
    1988 Mustang GT - Sold
    1984.5 Mustang GT - Sold
    2001 Mustang GT - Sold
    1983 Mustang GT - Current

Glad to see some progress. Looking good. Can't wait until it gets a little further along.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

Thanks for the write up. I'm interesting in seeing how you do the outer part of the strut tower (the side by the wheel with the 'lip' folded down). I keep looking at it on mine and wonder how the heck to section it without removing the whole plate that sits on the lip.

Chris
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    Thanks for the write up. I'm interesting in seeing how you do the outer part of the strut tower (the side by the wheel with the 'lip' folded down). I keep looking at it on mine and wonder how the heck to section it without removing the whole plate that sits on the lip.

Chris
    That is the easy part. I will just make a hammer form for the lip. I'm looking at all the strut tower that goes down into the rail that I have to remake! I need to cut another couple of inches back towards the firewall to get all the rust.

Cleaned the garage this weekend and uncovered the car. I picked up some more frame rail sections and a tubular radiator support, and also got some ambition to work on it! More progress to follow!!

I have not worked on my 85 in almost a year since my wife found a new man. I just can't get motivated to work on it. I need to get off of my butt.
    85 5.0 LX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by sectonone85 View Post
    I have not worked on my 85 in almost a year since my wife found a new man. I just can't get motivated to work on it. I need to get off of my butt.
    sectonone85,
    Damn dude sorry to hear about that... I know it has been a couple of months so I hope you are not still down about the wife finding "another man". I hope that has been motivator to get out and work on the mustang.

flyin5-o,
    You finished with yours yet? I haven't seen any more progress in a while. I have made some progress on my 85 coupe but I need to get back after it and get the 1/4 welded and then get it completed and SOLD to make way for the OTHER projects. 1 1986 Coupe that I bought the frame rail for. 2 finish the small stuff on my v8 ranger and lastly my 1964 fairlane 2 door hardtop.

Get to crackin on these cars guys...
    Only 1 Four eye left now and it is a 64 fairlane 2 door post! Think 408W with Griggs GR350 suspension!

PROGRESS!!!

After sitting idle for a long time I am once again moving forward with this project as it is standing in the way of my side job. I needed to re-sandblast all the stuff I sandblasted due to it rusting again. The place where I work has a large blasting booth and I was able to take it there last night after work. Pics to follow tonight.

Glad to hear,waiting for pics!
    putting together a little something special......stay tuned!

92 notch-WIP
    87GT-S Trim,4:10s,AOD=12.70@107
    89vert-sold
    84SVO-WIP
    84 notch-aka-FREAKSHOW
    85GT shell-for sale
    78 Zephyr-WIP
    86 Capri RS-WIP

Finally,the list of fox wants is complete!!!

Back from sandblasting:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Fresh DTM paint!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I didn't have a lot of time to work on it this weekend, but did make some progress. I have the drivers side prepped for it's replacement rail and started on the worst of the last two spots on the floor pan to fix. I am hoping to get the interior and front wheel wells in bedliner by Tuesday night!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Tubular radiator support.

86 50CPRI

cool to see things like this progress..keep it up!

Driver's side frame rail section mocked up

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Shock tower patch mocked up

[IMG][/IMG]

Things where going great tonight....until my air compressor decided to die. I think the motor is fried. There was so much smoke I was wondering what the hell could be on fire.

I am hoping to get the car painted some time soon. I need to get all the parts out of my grage so i can put the car in it to paint it. It will live again even if it kills me.
    85 5.0 LX Coupe

More progress. Got the shock tower almost done, just need a little patch on the front edge. I prepped the frame rail repair section, cut some spacers for the k member bolts, and weld thru primed the shock tower.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Very nice. Good to see things moving along.
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

I got the frame rail in tonight and about half welded. here are some pics....

Hopefully I'll get the all the metal work done this week so I can get the bedliner sprayed!

Very nice!

Frame rail is completely welded in. I just need to drill the holes for the k frame bolts.

Wow. very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    Wow. very impressive!
    Thanks! It should blend in well once the bedliner is on it.

More progress...

Passenger side toe board done and most of the front scuffed for bedliner.

K frame in the car ! First time in over 2 years.

Squaring it up to drill the holes for mounting bolts

I hate all these little holes, they are a PITA to mask.

I also touched up the areas that got ground off or burned through when installing the frame rail.
    Last edited by flyin5-o; 04-04-2011 at 11:46 PM.

86 50CPRI

WOW!!! I've read through this framerail repair about 50 X,anticipating the completion. You should be very proud. Great talent.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast