Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Lack of progress thread/'85 notch build

Yes you read right, lack of progress. I've been working on this car for about 4 years now. Had it running and driving at one point, then started to tear it down for paint. Then I bought an '85 GT to serve as my DD that was not so lovingly named The Punisher by it's former owner which has seemed to suck important parts off of the notch. Here is about where it is now except with the roof in primer,surface rust on the bare quarters and 3 flat tires.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=44130

What I need is some help from the membership of FEP. If you see me posting on the board and not posting pics of progress in this thread tell me to get my
    A$$ in the shop and get some work done!

Thanks

BTW, Today's progress is ordering headers an x-pipe, and clutch quadrant. Also cleaned the debris from the interior of the car and scraped the rusted on grinding dust from the pass side floor.

What are you doing posting? You should be in the garage working on that car!
    Only 1 Four eye left now and it is a 64 fairlane 2 door post! Think 408W with Griggs GR350 suspension!

your project looks oddly familiar, what did you do for SFC's?
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

Got out in the shop tonight. Here are some pics.

First order of buisness was to clean off the car.

worked on removing the rest of the sound deadner

got just about all of it, there are two small spots up front under the dash

Quote Originally Posted by 82mustang View Post
    your project looks oddly familiar, what did you do for SFC's?
    I used regular length Ebay ones. Wish I would have used MM stuff after having installed a couple in other peoples cars.

you have a full on 8 point cage, but short 75.00 subframe connectors? total money into materials for thru the floor SFC's is about 75.00, it just takes FOREVER to cut and especially weld up every seam...i wish it was as easy as putting in place, double check and weld...
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

Default Progress report

I've been pretty busy with work,Turkey hunting, and my "honey do" list lately so not much has been done. However, I've managed to finally get the rear seat belts out, and dissasemble the car the rest of the way. Now I'm just waiting for the guy who's gonna sandblast the rust spots to call saying he's ready for it. Then the painting will begin! I hope to be at the track the second weekend of July!

some pics

I've got to paint a Harley fender tomorrow for a buddy so I'm hoping to get the doors jambed and underside of the trunk painted.
    Last edited by flyin5-o; 05-26-2008 at 01:33 AM.

FEP Super Member

Mmmmmmm........................................... ..............tastes like progress!
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

ok,get yer A$$ back out there!
    '83 glx vert with '82 gt frontend

if you aren't trying to blow the horn with the signal lever and reaching for the key release button on your other vehicles,you're not driving the fox enough !

you can turkey hunt later when it is closer to thanksgiving, now get back out there and work on your car. Ohh and now you need to incorporate that scull into the paint work somewhere on the car, whether it be under the hood in the trunk or on the exterior. We're counting on you now.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

nope,the skull's gotta go .......only 2 eyes!!!!
    '83 glx vert with '82 gt frontend

if you aren't trying to blow the horn with the signal lever and reaching for the key release button on your other vehicles,you're not driving the fox enough !

he can put glasses on it so it can be 4 eyes.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

Quote Originally Posted by fordfreak300 View Post
    he can put glasses on it so it can be 4 eyes.
    That is what I was thinking.
    +
    ++
    +++
    ++++

Fun is fun, and done is done!

Pics of the car this morning

Hmmm.. there seems to be more rust at the bottoms of these doors than I remember.

Seam sealer is some great stuff.. you can't see it real well but the only rust on this Arizona trunk lid is under the seam sealer.

This is what the trunk and both doors look like right now, POR15 with a tie coat on top.

This is what the car will mainly look like when painted. The skull WILL be part of the paint skeem, it will take the place of the MUSTANG lettering on the grill.

Got the insides of the doors and underside of the trunk painted.

I've set a goal to have the car ready to go on the 21st of June. It's a little tight but I'm gonna try.

Tonights goal is to get the car completely ready for sandblast and time permitting make/start on the interior door panels.

We expect pics of your progress everyday and there better be lots of progress. Now that you showed us your painting it like the pace car we are eager to see it finished.

Project update:

One of my uncles buddies has an industrial painting buisness and agreed to blast some areas on the car for me but he has been extremely busy lately.
    After much phone tag and waiting he finally had time for me on Tuesday. Here are some of the results. Not bad for $60!

I found a couple of areas on the front rails that I am going to have to repair. One is under the drivers side shock tower and the other is the pass. side swaybar mount. Hopefully I'll have the floors and rails repaired and in POR-15 by the end of the weekend so I can spray bedliner early next week.

Thumbs up

Sounds like you're movin' on it!

Keep goin' and keep us posted!

You'll be changing the name of this thread to the "PROGRESS" thread soon enough.
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

Nice blasting, I spent all day blasting the rear upper control arm mounts I want to weld them up, I am using a 5lb pressure sandblaster I should be done in a month or so!!!

How's lack of progress going?

It looks like a solid foundation. Judging from the 'road race machines' thread, this car will be a track car? Are you building it a street car? Or purely track? The cage pretty much says race car unless you plan on driving to Burger King with a helmet on.

You obviously have a cage, but why a drag cage? It will not pass technical for road racing, HPDE - yes, but not racing. I'm sure the cage can be modified with the propper door bars and main hoop diagonal.

I built my 89 Notch in about 8 months. That was the bare minimum to get it on track. Had to do a 5.0 conversion, suspension, gut it, cage it, safety stuff, and tires. Here are some pics of my build:

85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by RichV View Post
    How's lack of progress going?

It looks like a solid foundation. Judging from the 'road race machines' thread, this car will be a track car? Are you building it a street car? Or purely track? The cage pretty much says race car unless you plan on driving to Burger King with a helmet on.

You obviously have a cage, but why a drag cage? It will not pass technical for road racing, HPDE - yes, but not racing. I'm sure the cage can be modified with the propper door bars and main hoop diagonal.

I built my 89 Notch in about 8 months. That was the bare minimum to get it on track. Had to do a 5.0 conversion, suspension, gut it, cage it, safety stuff, and tires. Here are some pics of my build:
    It's a total lack of progress,I ran out of money.
    It will be a track only car. I will probably never do anything but HPDE's, Autocross, and an occasional trip to the drag strip with it. So the drag cage is adequate. It's 1.625 diameter x .134 wall so by adding the main hoop diagonal brace and additional side protection it would be legal in NASA and SCCA competition, I think.

Your car turned out nice, looks like a lot of fun!

Thanks!

I love the racing. I did a couple of HPDEs and was hooked! You definitely need a car and parts that will handle the abuse, specialy the competition aspect.

Good luck with yours, at least you can chip away at it until you can raise some $ to finish it.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by RichV View Post
    Thanks!

I love the racing. I did a couple of HPDEs and was hooked! You definitely need a car and parts that will handle the abuse, specialy the competition aspect.

Good luck with yours, at least you can chip away at it until you can raise some $ to finish it.
    I'd love to be out in the garage working on it but it's -3 degrees here. It's less than 20 degrees in the garage. BRRRRRR. It's supposed to gt up to the mid 20's by the end of next week, so I'll get a chance to work on it then.

Got most of the garage cleaned last night from over a year of it being a catch all for S**T! Hope to tackle the frame repair on the pass. side sometime today!
    Pics to follow.....

Great! I am looking forward to watching this car progress some more. I bought a kerosene burning heater at home depot. I got mine on sale for $100 it was normally $200. In 20* weather I can keep my garage at 70* easily. (that happens to be the temp I like) But can do 80* if I really wanted also. (it was too warm for me).

I am also wondering how exactly your going to do the paint. The car in th epic the PPG pace car is a hatch and your building a coupe. How are you going to do the lines that swing up and the back of the car?
    Last edited by fordfreak300; 03-07-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast