Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

New wheel showed up!

Name:  20180429_142511.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  95.3 KB

Panhard bar almost done! Just need to finish welding chassis side mount in, tighten the bar and center the axle.

Name:  panhard bar.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  121.5 KB

Name:  panhardbar1.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  116.3 KB

The Panhard Bar looks great!

Did you build your own? Looks similar to a Griggs Racing setup, but different. Either way looks pretty sweet! Congrarts
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Did you build your own? Looks similar to a Griggs Racing setup, but different.

Yes I did build my own and thank you I think it turned out pretty good myself!

Couple of progress pics.

Name:  20180602_174601.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  113.3 KB

Name:  20180602_174537.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  100.5 KB

So things got crazy busy in the last month before the Lemons race. I didn't post any progress pics or info so here is an update. We finished next to last with 25 total laps. We did however start with -86 laps so in reality we did 111 total laps. I breezed through tech with almost no problems. Car was overheating Friday practice and Saturday in the redonkulus heat. We only turned 30 laps all day on Saturday. Put a new radiator, water pump and thermostat in Saturday. Then we did intake gaskets as we where leaking water into the 4 intake ports closest to the water passages. Got it together and working all day Sunday but it is WAAY down on power. Like non turbo Mk2 golf pulling away hard in the straights down and the T-5 doesn't want to downshift nicely into 3rd . So I've got more work ahead of me in those departments.

The good news is that the brakes and handling really surprised me. Handling was not at all twitchy and very predictable at the limit. Brakes where amazing for what most would call a hodge podge system. Stock 4 lug '87-'93 front rotors, modified SVO calipers, GM metric rear calipers with turbo coupe rotors, SVO master with an adjustable prop valve. I ran Hawk blues up front and never changed the Autozone cheapos in the rears with Motul RBF 600 fluid. Had little to no fade, and could outbrake everyone!

Well anyway here are a couple of pics. I will post more when I get them from the driver who brought the good camera!

Name:  86.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  tech.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  66.3 KB
    Last edited by flyin5-o; 07-05-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Name:  techII.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  131.4 KB

Friday practice first time on track!

Name:  20180629_114057-1.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  129.1 KB

Looks Good!

Congratulations getting out and on track!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Looks Good!

Congratulations getting out and on track!
    Thanks Trey!

Default Updates and venting some frustration (long)

Haven't been able to get the car out again this year. That's the update now to the venting.
    The original plan was to run a FAST EZ EFi 1.0 system that I traded some work and a 2 BBL Holley from a customer who had become disenchanted with it. The system was a on a Jeep Wrangler 4.2 and I went through a ton of work to get it running decent. The PO had completely butchered the wiring causing the ECU to short. Rewired it correctly and a remanned ECU was purchased from FAST and a new o2 sensor because the original installer never tied the wiring up and it melted on the header. This was in March of 2017. For those unfamiliar with the system it is an adaptive learning system in which you set a base tune and then drive it so the system basically creates a tune itself. The user is able to change target A/F ratios and some other basic parameter tweeks via the handheld but basically the system does the work for you if you leave it alone and drive it. Problem was the guy would mess with it after I got it set up and then I would have to start all over. Did this a couple of times then he was done claiming it was a big POS. A deal was struck where I would make the necessary changes to go carb and in return I got the EFI system. So out it came and into a bin onto the parts shelf in the shop it went. This was in late April early May of 2017. Fast forward to May of this year I wire my car for the system and install it in preparation for the Lemons race. Won't idle, barely starts, backfires, goes from full lean to full rich, doesn't stay running unless you blip the throttle all the time. Precious days of trouble shooting ensue and I finally "borrow" the Holley 4777 600 DP off of my Dad's '46 Plymouth change fuel line routing and regulators and it fires right up and runs perfectly, so we went with it for the race. WTH? It ran fine on the Jeep for me when it was pulled. So now I put it back on a couple of weeks ago to try to figure this out. I call FAST and do some tests, move the o2 sensor per there recommendation even though I was certain that was not the problem. FAST thinks the o2 driver is out on the ECU. REALLY? It's got maybe 300 miles on it! I sent it in to FAST yesterday and I am awaiting their verdict. I hope that I don't have to buy ANOTHER ECU as they are not cheap.

Vent over. I am however seriously torn between just throwing it away and getting a carb set up for road racing if I have to buy another $300+ ECU.

Enjoyed looking over your build. Sorry about your EFI issue. I wont buy a foxbody unless it sports a carb. Holley carbs I know very well, EFI not so much.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345