Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

The headers I will look into, if BBK was not around back then then they weren't around. I was just relaying the information given to me by the man who runs the registry. He talks to Tom Solomon on a regular basis and supposedly verified this information for my car. Gears were available back then, as well as the B-cams and underdrive pullies.

This is a link to one of the '84 brochures. To my knowledge, the cams/intakes were not available in '84. But the gears and underdrive pullies were:
    http://www.mustanggt.org/photopost/d...nAmerican2.jpg
    Last edited by 02Z06; 03-11-2008 at 09:01 AM.
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

I always thought the B303 was a roller cam and that would put it in 1988? And The headers were custom if they were long tube, nobody made long tubes to fit a Fox body back then as far as I know. I would love to read that sheet but its too small, can you make it larger?

Ford started putting "roller cams" in Mustangs and Capris in '85.

Quote Originally Posted by GT350 Dominator View Post
    I always thought the B303 was a roller cam and that would put it in 1988? And The headers were custom if they were long tube, nobody made long tubes to fit a Fox body back then as far as I know. I would love to read that sheet but its too small, can you make it larger?
    It is my understanding that Hooker made longtube headers for fox bodies back in the mid 80's and they were used on the Dominators. I will try and verify.
    2012 Boss 302

1985 Canyon Red GT "Dominator package" T-Tops . . 7 year restoration

1986 GT Conv. (Rare Black/Tan combo) Original 58k car

1985.5 SVO . . #242 of 439, #50 of 75 1B Medium Charcoal Metallic 4 year restoration

Good to know on the B303, as for the headers, I still have the originals, and they look custom, I don't use them anymore, bought new ones for the resto, but the originals are certainly not factory pieces. You can tell the originals due to the fact the drivers side collector does'nt sit horizontal to the car, it ended short at a downward angle so the exhaust had to do a quick bend up and toward the passenger side to get to the crossmember for the tranny loop, all which I never liked because it made that side hang down lower by about 2" and looked like crap when you looked under the car.
    Last edited by GT350 Dominator; 03-11-2008 at 09:43 AM.

B cams were not around in 85. B cams were designed for fuel injected mass air cars. 1985 was the first year of the roller block so I do not know where some of you are getting this information. The 84 Mustang is a non-roller block so how could a Dominator use a roller cam? Maybe in 85 but still the alphabet cams were designed for fuel injected cars but that does not mean you cannot use them in a carb setup. Also I wonder how they configured 4 catalytic convertors with long drop headers? It may have came with shorties headers but not long drops. Every 302 car that I have seen from roughly 84 and up have 4 cats. How would it pass emissions for a new car with only 2 cats if they used the long drops? What about the air tube that goes from the cat to the air pump? How would that work? This would have to be custom exhaust work and I cannot see a dealer making a custom h-pipe and air tube.

James

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    B cams were not around in 85. B cams were designed for fuel injected mass air cars. 1985 was the first year of the roller block so I do not know where some of you are getting this information. The 84 Mustang is a non-roller block so how could a Dominator use a roller cam? Maybe in 85 but still the alphabet cams were designed for fuel injected cars but that does not mean you cannot use them in a carb setup. Also I wonder how they configured 4 catalytic convertors with long drop headers? It may have came with shorties headers but not long drops. Every 302 car that I have seen from roughly 84 and up have 4 cats. How would it pass emissions for a new car with only 2 cats if they used the long drops? What about the air tube that goes from the cat to the air pump? How would that work? This would have to be custom exhaust work and I cannot see a dealer making a custom h-pipe and air tube.

James
    Not 100% on this but it seems that I remember way back in the day that the B cam came out around the time the 86 models came out and was supposedly originally designed for the SD cars....didn't work so well obviously but I believe they did exist before mass air and there were a few people that actually got them to work.

As for long tubes....I cant see the factory doing it but since it was a dealer installed thing, maybe they weren't so concerned about 2 cats vs 4. Missouri had a visual emissions inspection but I don't think it was required to have 4 cats. I bet as long as they were there, it was all good. They didn't sniff em back then and I'm pretty sure they don't today even. I think it has been pretty well documented that many of these dealer package cars came off the lot with long tubes....not BBK's but long tube headers none the less. I don't see it being unbelievable that the dealer would chop the cat pipe and weld on header reducers. It was the 80's.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showpost...8&postcount=20

The cam has been debated before. I can't tell you I held one in 85. If my car hadn't come with one and I hadn't researched it I wouldn't have a clue. Some may tell you I still don't.

I'm double checking the BBKs on the Predator, but my sources have said that the B303 cam was available in '85 and was installed on a few Predators (the exact number I don't know). The Predator (nor the Dominator) were a "factory" car, they were a "dealer built" car so I don't believe they worked under the same moral guidelines that Ford did. It's my understanding that most of the Dominators were built with hooker long tubes, and the cats were just left off. I cannot say if the same was done on the Predators, because the BBKs (that I have been told are original to the car) are shorties and the cats still could have been used. Apparently neither car builder was concerned with emissions.
    Last edited by 02Z06; 03-11-2008 at 04:32 PM.
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

wow...never seen one of those before...its a very nice lookin car...pro stars on any fox make it look great

The car came with 1 cat, not 4, and long headers, there is no sense debating the issue on what came on the Dominator, I bought it NEW, so I'm without a doubt the expert on that. And as I stated before, they had headers made, welded tubes and collectors and flanges together that were from somewhere, and also welded new flanges on the exhaust to bolt up to the collector thru 1 cat and 1 resonator and into 1 muffler, the stock one, and from there it remained stock, so not true dual ehaust.
    I'll simplify, 2 long tube headers, 2 pipes to 1, into cat to resonator, into stock muffler, out the back as 2 again.I know it sounds stupid but thats what Summit did.
    Last edited by GT350 Dominator; 03-11-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Anthony

idles at 1250 and turns 7000 every shift.

Any reason that it idles at 1250? turn it down, car will sound better. 1250 is out of the idle circuit in a Holley carb.

the B-303 was designed for roller motors.. and to be compatible WITH fuel injunktion, not for it.. the B-303 works much better with a carb
    82 Capri - 306, C4
    85 Bronco mud truck
    88 S10 minitruck
    94 shortbed F150 mud truck

CK Performance & Minis

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Any reason that it idles at 1250? turn it down, car will sound better. 1250 is out of the idle circuit in a Holley carb.
    Its actually perfect for this set-up, it has such a viscious lope it will die under 1000, its a .575 lift, don'rt remember the duration, and the total advanced timing is 42 degrees. sounds like its idleing at 500. I also have a reworked carb on it also, almost everybody you read will tell you its over carbed with a 750 DP when you use the displacement formula,which says use a 570 -625 cfm (lol), but I can tell you it is super responsive and pulls to 7000 like there's no tomorrow.
    I have had this conversation with many others, all I can say is what I've built works as good as it gets!

I have to say, I've never seen one of those. Nice ride and welcome.
    86 GT vert - Bright Red/Grey Black top
    89 GT hatch - Bright Regatta Blue/Grey
    90 5.0 vert - Light Titanium/Red No top
    90 GT vert - Light Titanium/Black Black top
    91 5.0 notch - Medium Titanium/Black (wife)
    91 5.0 notch - White/Red soon to be black int

I'm so envious! Beautiful car.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    Every 302 car that I have seen from roughly 84 and up have 4 cats. How would it pass emissions for a new car with only 2 cats if they used the long drops? What about the air tube that goes from the cat to the air pump? How would that work? This would have to be custom exhaust work and I cannot see a dealer making a custom h-pipe and air tube.

James
    My 85 with 302 like every other one I have seen had 2 cats from the factory. It is my understanding that the 4 cat setup appeared in 86 with the introduction of the true dual exhaust setup.

Back on topic..Nice Dominator! You have a very nice car.
    Brett
    ------
    85 Capri GS 5.0, 5 speed, T-top 147,000 miles.
    Offroad H-pipe and Magnaflow mufflers.

My WebShots Gallery!

DOMINATOR MUSTANGS ARE THE YENKO, BALDWIN AND DANA CAMARO TYPE OF DEALER MUSCLE CAR . THAT YOU COULD BUY IN THE 80'S NEW WHITH A WARRANTY.

Quote Originally Posted by 85CapriGS View Post
    My 85 with 302 like every other one I have seen had 2 cats from the factory. It is my understanding that the 4 cat setup appeared in 86 with the introduction of the true dual exhaust setup.

Back on topic..Nice Dominator! You have a very nice car.
    I believe it was 1 catalytic converter, 1 resinator, not 2 cats, but who really cares what its called.

Wow that car is beautiful, i love what you have done with it, i hope there is a least another one out there somewhere that someone will save before it gets doomed

I believe it was 1 catalytic converter, 1 resinator, not 2 cats, but who really cares what its called.
    and as for 4 cats.. no such thing.. the 2 closest to the manifolds/headers are resonators
    82 Capri - 306, C4
    85 Bronco mud truck
    88 S10 minitruck

CK Performance & Minis

They are NOT resonators. They are catalytic converters.

they are not. i can't tell you how many people i had to deal with when i worked at a ACE would fight with me about this. with the pollution pump, there would be no point in 4 cats. not to mention 4 cats would be death on a 302. it would produce hardly 150hp

i can't tell you how many dumb people would argue with me about this, even when i proved them wrong
    Last edited by CK_performance; 03-12-2008 at 09:02 PM.
    82 Capri - 306, C4
    85 Bronco mud truck
    88 S10 minitruck

CK Performance & Minis

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CK_performance View Post
    they are not. i can't tell you how many people i had to deal with when i worked at a ACE would fight with me about this. with the pollution pump, there would be no point in 4 cats. not to mention 4 cats would be death on a 302. it would produce hardly 150hp

i can't tell you how many dumb people would argue with me about this, even when i proved them wrong
    I would be curious how you proved them wrong. They are indeed cats. I have hollowed them out myself so I can tell you exactly what is in them.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400

I know for a fact when both of mine were taken off they were indeed cats. I still have the front cat/ypipe from my car saved in my garage just in case I ever need it.
    Brett
    ------
    85 Capri GS 5.0, 5 speed, T-top 147,000 miles.
    Offroad H-pipe and Magnaflow mufflers.

My WebShots Gallery!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast