Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Awesome car!

Do you have any pictures of it when it was bone stock? Or any of the original documentation on the car? If so, could we talk you into posting this stuff?

If any other Dominator owners are looking in here, the above questions are for you all as well There's been much curiosity but not much hard information on these cars over the years. I'm wanting to add a Dominator section to the main site.

Thanks for posting pics!

I've got the original window sticker and two buildsheets for my dominator, as well as a letter from the salesperson sayign "I hope you enjoy your Dominator GT..." but no documentation as to what the package cost back then. I'd be more than happy to post that information though if you'd like.
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Blog Entries

I'll take whatever you've got. It's so cool to see these cars finally popping up a little more here and there.

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by evlgt85 View Post
    I'll take whatever you've got. It's so cool to see these cars finally popping up a little more here and there.

Default THE RAREST DOMINATOR

I THINK DAKOTA IS RIGHT . I BELIVE THAT 1985 WAS THE LAST YEAR THAT SUMMIT USED THE FORD MOTORSPORTS REV LIMITER, AND MODIFIED THE ENG. ALSO JEFF AT R and A MOTORSPORTS INC. ARE GETTING INFO OUT ON DOMINATORS TO. R and A IS IN THE SAME BULDING THAT MADE DOMINATORS

It will take some time, but I'll try, I actually have a picture of all 4 20th Aniversary Dominators in front of Summit Ford from before they were all sold! I believe there was 2 convertibles, 1 with T-tops, and my Hatchback.

I believe they made them until 1986......1980-86.

As to rarity, I grew up here and seeing any back then was pretty rare, now days its about never.
    Last edited by GT350 Dominator; 03-10-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Guys,

All I can say is I am thrilled I'm not crazy. I had never heard of these cars, and as you can tell by the posts neither had most everyone else. I am please as punch you guys are coming forward with your cars and telling the story of the Dominator.

I picked up a '96 Mystic Chrome Cobra two weeks ago in KC, and the guy I bought it from remembered the Dominators and the Predators.

Keep the info coming!
    2012 Boss 302

1985 Canyon Red GT "Dominator package" T-Tops . . 7 year restoration

1986 GT Conv. (Rare Black/Tan combo) Original 58k car

1985.5 SVO . . #242 of 439, #50 of 75 1B Medium Charcoal Metallic 4 year restoration

Quote Originally Posted by GT350 Dominator View Post
    It will take some time, but I'll try, I actually have a picture of all 4 20th Aniversary Dominators in front of Summit Ford from before they were all sold! I believe there was 2 convertibles, 1 with T-tops, and my Hatchback.

I believe they made them until 1986......1980-86.

As to rarity, I grew up here and seeing any back then was pretty rare, now days its about never.
    There was a GT350 Dominator w/Tops?!?!?! That just encompassed three of my favorite cars in one!!!LOL God I hope its still out there somewhere in one piece. I would trade everything I had to get my hands on that car.
    My Patronus is a Wookie!!!

And just so you guys know, we all thought the Predator was a copy of the Dominator and a joke, nothing in the way of performance, just a roll bar, which we thought was cool, and a cheezy little hood scoop,some decals and a number plate under the hood. Nobody I knew wanted one, and I roasted everyone I ever saw!

Well, good luck on that one, after I bought mine I ran into the guy with it cruising a couple years later, never saw one of them again.

very nice car....

very nice.

wow, great story and a rarity to boot. great job on the resto.

And just so you guys know, we all thought the Predator was a copy of the Dominator and a joke, nothing in the way of performance, just a roll bar, which we thought was cool, and a cheezy little hood scoop,some decals and a number plate under the hood. Nobody I knew wanted one, and I roasted everyone I ever saw!
    Not all Predators were just a scoop and roll bar. My '85 was built with the B303 cam, Edelbrock intake, underdrive pullies, BBK headers and 3.55 gears. So not all of them were all-show-no-go. In fact, it has more performance parts than my '86 Dominator does. I love them both, just don't want false info out there.
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black

Blog Entries

Not only that, but we certainly don't need any animosity being shown towards the Predators on this site since they ARE cars that this site is interested in and we want to make sure all enthusiast owners are welcomed here and encouraged to share their information. We don't discriminate when it comes to which car might be seen or built as cooler or not as cool.

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 02Z06 View Post
    Not all Predators were just a scoop and roll bar. My '85 was built with the B303 cam, Edelbrock intake, underdrive pullies, BBK headers and 3.55 gears. So not all of them were all-show-no-go. In fact, it has more performance parts than my '86 Dominator does. I love them both, just don't want false info out there.
    Was BBK even around in 85?
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400

I have an opinion and I will voice it, sorry if you are offended. I'll have to say that your Predator was not born with those features, there weren't underdrive pulleys, or bbks,or the RPM intake( debut in the 90s) and I doubt the b303(again late 80s or early 90s) was part of the package back then either. All was added after the fact. But if they were born with those options then they sure were slow, besides I knew 2 different guys with them and they had was exactly what I stated in my post. Are they unique and desireable,YES. I was only stating what we thought of them in 1985.
    So don't get upset over my opinion, you may like oranges, I may like apples, makes no difference either way.
    Last edited by GT350 Dominator; 03-10-2008 at 06:29 PM.

No offense taken, but I've been working closely with the man who runs the predator registry, and he is good friends with Tom Solomon, the owner and builder of the cars. There were many predators with no options, just stickers and the like. There were GT302Rs that came with 3.73 or 4.10 gears and underdrive pullies in '84, and by '85 anything offered in the Ford motorsport catalog could be ordered as well as most aftermarket performance parts. Many cars were built with the Performer RPM (I believe) intake. I'll have to double check my car. Many predators were built without any performance parts, and those must have been the ones you raced. A Predator with Cam, intake, pullies, and exhaust should have run pretty well for back then. I'm not concerned about what's faster, I don't race them and don't care to. I like all of the rare mustangs of that era, and I'm not arguing with you. Just want to make sure that both sides are spoken for. (coming from someone who owns both).

I have an opinion and I will voice it, sorry if you are offended. I'll have to say that your Predator was not born with those features, there weren't underdrive pulleys, or bbks, and I doubt the b303 was part of the package back then either. All was added after the fact. But if they were born with those options then they sure were slow, besides I knew 2 different guys with them and they had was exactly what I stated in my post. Are the unique and desireable,YES. I was only stating what we thought of them in 1985.
    So don't get upset over my opinion, you may like oranges, I may like apples, makes no difference either way.
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black

Quote Originally Posted by ScreeminChikin View Post
    Was BBK even around in 85?
    From '88 according to this. http://www.bbkperformance.com/inside.shtml
    Brian

1986 FHP
    1986 WSP

Point well taken, and I too like all rare cars, actually all cars in great condition(except foreign) And yes I agree with you on the fact that there were some made by Solomon that were performance cars, just none that were sold to the public thru a dealer, so I kinda consider them, like a Callaway Corvette, they could make you one after you own the car, so all the Predators I saw were only shadows of what they were meant to be. Kind of a different animal. And I am sure I don't know the whole story, just bits and pieces, same way with my car. I would like to see some of your photos also, and I am jealous you have both, and to add, I always wished my car had come with a roll bar!

Learn something new everyday on this site.That car ROCKS. You have kept her in MINT shape,very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 02Z06 View Post
    For some reason I do not believe that. From what I read the alphabet cams were designed for fuel injected cars and I believe they didn't show up until the first mass air which was 88. Your car did not come from the factory with BBK headers nor underdrive pulleys. The gears may be questionable but again if they did offer this stuff it was not authorized by Ford. The dealer probably bought most of the parts from a speed shop and then advertised them their own way.

James

i haven't seen a dominator since i was 16.. and it didn't look nearly that great! that thing is a work of art.. GREAT JOB!
    82 Capri - 306, C4
    85 Bronco mud truck
    88 S10 minitruck
    94 shortbed F150 mud truck

CK Performance & Minis

and there were under drive pulleys in the 80's. the 5.0 HO's had a smaller water pump pulley then the run of the mill 302(non-HO, whatever they called them). i found that out by mistake
    82 Capri - 306, C4
    85 Bronco mud truck
    88 S10 minitruck
    94 shortbed F150 mud truck

CK Performance & Minis

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    For some reason I do not believe that. From what I read the alphabet cams were designed for fuel injected cars and I believe they didn't show up until the first mass air which was 88. Your car did not come from the factory with BBK headers nor underdrive pulleys. The gears may be questionable but again if they did offer this stuff it was not authorized by Ford. The dealer probably bought most of the parts from a speed shop and then advertised them their own way.

James
    B-cams came stock in 85 Mclarens so I think at least they were around before 88.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast