Close

Default Other electrical issues. Horn/Clock

Well I have done some searching and was reading about the upgrades, but I am confused about my situation.
    My headlights don't work and I think I might have it narrowed down, but I wanted to ask you guys first.

First off its a European spec car and it has different headlights in it.

I am not sure what is stock but I have regular beams are 3 prong and the highs are 2.

I have a Cobra but there isn't any fogs installed and when I pulled the old switch out it appeared to me that its one that isn't for fogs.

So I ordered and installed a new one just like it hoping that my lights would work. no luck

So I start digging around and find this. Is this what you would consider the upgrade?? Could these be the problem why my lights aren't working. All my lights work except my head lamps. The lamps work when connected directly to the battery.

This was mounted to my D/S strut tower on the back side

I only have power going into the right one at one connector when the light switch is on and I don't have power any of the rest of the connectors.

I guessing that these are bad but wanted to ask some of the more experienced here.

Thanks
    Last edited by 89 AZ SSP; 03-08-2008 at 01:35 AM. Reason: other issues
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

A couple other electrical questions.

Is there supposed to be a wire running up to the horn button in the center of the steering wheel? Mine doesn't have one and my horn isn't working. I am not sure how these older horns worked.

Also do the clocks just not work? My fuse is good and my lighter works but I have no clock.
    I haven't dug into either of these problems too much but thought I would ask since I got you here.

Thanks again.
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

FEP Super Member

That is the upgrade .
    You are correct that one or more are bad . or wired incorrectly .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    That is the upgrade .
    You are correct that one or more are bad . or wired incorrectly .

Thanks, I am going to run to the parts store and see if they have any of these things. It's always a adventure trying to find this stuff oversea's

Thanks for the help I got the headlights working. Those boxes were bad. I still don't like the set up though.

Now onto the other gremlins.

any ideas on my horn/clock issues?

Ok I got the horn to work. It helps when you use the right function to turn it on. I have been looking at the center of the steering wheel

Now gonna have a deeper look at the clock.

Mike Croke

Brian, the relays (those two grey boxes) are a fix for flickering headlights on the four eye cars. Inside the headlight switch is a circuit breaker. When the breaker gets too hot, it opens and your headlights go off. While you're driving. Very unnerving the first time it happens. Some folks are able to replace the headlight switch and the headlights stay on. For others, no Ford switch will stay on. In my case, I put Hella lights in my Capri and they wouldn't stay on for more than a few minutes before blinking.

Here's a wiring diagram:

I have yet to figure out the clock on my Capri. I have the dash harness from the donor '86 Mustang but the console from the '79 Capri. I got the message display thing to work and the lighter socket works. But the clock I have yet to conquer.

Thanks Mike. I wasn't sure what those boxes were when I discovered them. I kinda thought they were the modification but wasn't sure. I installed 2 new ones and they work great. I think I will re-do them in the future since whoever did them the first time didn't do a very good job.

My message display is working too but now all I have left at the moment is the clock???

thanks for the help!