Close

Default 84 Capri RS Turbo Resurrection In Progress

So the restoration on the Capri has officially started. I've got alot of work to do. I took off the fenders, hood and doors. I also started to gut the interior. I can't get to the back yet because I will need help to get the bubble hatch off, and it is HEAVY. The floors don't look too horrible, but they are not as good as first glance. I will have work to do on both floors. Tomorrow I'm going to start to tear out the rubber thats stuck to the floor, anybody have any hint on the best way to do it? Hopefully this weekend I will get someone to help me with the hatch and I can tear into the rear portion of the interior. I was thinking of not even pulling out the dash, but its not in fantastic shape so I will need to find another. My vision for the car is simple. I'm going to go with the factory with the exterior look. New factory paint color, correct decals and such. For originality sake, I'm going to keep the four lugs but upgrade to rear discs for safety. That means that the 7.5 will also stay. I'm going to put in bolt on subframe connectors, strut tower brace and lower the car with springs, upgrade to 87-93 spindles and front brakes and put on some really nice struts and shocks, probably Tokicos. The engine will initially be rebuilt bone stock, and I will be on the look out for a TC engine that I will put in and hopefully build to put around 300RWHP. The interior will be mostly factory, I will replace the standard seats with some red sports seats with halos or possibly 87-93 red seats, and possibly an aftermarket radio. All of the original parts will be put in storage for a rainy day. My goal will be a well balanced, fun to drive car that I can enjoy driving in the twisties and on an occasional road course.

Driver Side

Passenger Side

That it the work so far. I'm trying not to go too fast because I don't want to get burned out. So think about one hour a day during the week and 3-4 on Saturday and Sunday, possibly less during the weekdays. Since this will be my first complete teardown, any pointers that anyone feels compelled to provide will be appreciated.
    My Patronus is a Wookie!!!

Make sure to take lots of pictures. Not only for this thread, but also to help jog your memory when you start reassembly. Never know what might slip your mind a couple of months down the road. Then you would have pics to remember where stuff goes, etc. Good luck, looks like a pretty decent start.

I am SOOO glad I'm done with the floor pans on my 83.

BTW, That one hole doesn't count because thats just a stamping hole cover plate ;-)

BTW If you decide to pull that seat riser out to fix that hole, be prepared for a struggle, that sucker does not want to play nicely no matter how many spot-weld cutters you burn through.
    It puts the ATF in the T5... IT DOES AS IT'S TOLD!!!!!

FEP Super Member

Sweet. I love it.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

They way that looks I'd put new pans in. Is a lot of work
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

Quote Originally Posted by 83rsturbo View Post
    They way that looks I'd put new pans in. Is a lot of work
    They look worse in the pictures then they actually are. Alot of that rust is surface rust, the floor pan is mostly solid. But I am considering replacepent pans. I can get a new pair for under $200, and there is a local shop that is cutting up some wrecked foxes that have good floor pans. That shop is also where I'm considering sending the car to get them done. I haven't decided yet.
    My Patronus is a Wookie!!!

1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

Glad to see another 84 RS Turbo going under the knife. Keep us posted with the progress and pics.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C