Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Capri Decode

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Don't know where you got the figure of "700 T-tops" from but Ford has never released T-roof production information to anybody, for any year. If you're getting that from somebody on this or another board, who or what is their source?
    Here are some numbers for 85/86 from Sandy Block:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=25701

No idea where the "700" would be...

-Mike

Thanks Fox , I always though if it had EFI/CFI it had manifolds & single exhaust. So my capri has a 160HP? Did Ford ever claim this rateing for 85? So i gain 45HP with 4bbl carb,headers,dual exhaust? Now i wonder how many came with 160HP & single exhaust for 85? Was a hoodscoop put on any 85's from the factory? To do with the 700 T-tops,I beleave it was a educated guess from Mike to S4501 on his 85 5.0 T-top (black cat) This is great stuff to know. Good luck on the buildsheet. Thanks again this mean alot to me.

Very very very early 85 5.0 CFI cars had single exhaust. Later they got the y-pipe to split it back out into duals.

I am not sure if that ever applied to the 4v cars though...I don't think so.

Part of that 45hp difference comes from having a roller engine...which you also don't have.

-Mike

Sorry I meant 165HP. What would be the torque? Ford of Canada told me there was 18657 Capri's for 85 ,are they wrong,or is the post here wrong 18654?

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Sorry I meant 165HP. What would be the torque? Ford of Canada told me there was 18657 Capri's for 85 ,are they wrong,or is the post here wrong 18654?
    Who knows?

If you can get any additional numbers out of Ford of Canada, that would be interesting since Ford from the US doesn't seem to want to say much.

-Mike

The "early" CFI '85s had the same rating as the (entire year of) '84 CFI...165 horsepower and 245 lbs/ft torque.

So i have a 84 motor,that sucks. Are the later 85 EFI's roller engine? Is this only a matter of the cam , are the heads,compression,or stroke different? I know this car felt like it had more than 165, maybe because it had low kms and a old lady owned it, so it was never beated on. Thanks

So i have a 84 motor,that sucks. Are the later 85 EFI's roller engine? Is this only a matter of the cam , are the heads,compression,or stroke different? I know this car felt like it had more than 165, maybe because it had low kms and a old lady owned it, so it was never beated on. Thanks
    Nope the 85 EFI was flat tappet all the way. The stroke wouldn't be different or it wouldn't be a 5.0 engine. Heads I think are the same but can't say on the pistons.

The big deal was the roller cam and the tubular headers.

-Mike

CFI = D8OE heads, cast aluminum pistons, flat-tappet cam and lifters, non-roller block

4V = E5AE heads, forged aluminum pistons, roller-tappet cam and lifters, roller block

Later CFI engines may or may not have gotten some of the 4V stuff.

Thanks Can i put roller cam in mine? I got the stock shorty headers,& full stock exhaust of a 89 LX exc.mufflers.I plan on swapping to 4bbl & alum. intake,cam,chain.What should i go with? I am hunting for a good T-5 also. I noticed i don't see the white marchal fog lamp covers on other 85's they have the charcoal covers ,like my 86 had,i still have them.Were the white ones 84 & earlier? When i changed my cap & rotor button i had to get them for an 84,now i know why. Should i go with full length subframe connectors,or regular ones. Should i put in a strut tower brace? On the DSO's does the (A) stand for Capri & the (B) stand for Mustang? Mine is A6 western Canada.Does anyone have a list of exported 85 Capri's? Thanks again

I might just change the engine now! I have a 302 in my barn , I was told it's out of a 89 LX, How do i date the block & heads? Thank's

Block and heads are the same from '87 through '95.

I might just change the engine now! I have a 302 in my barn , I was told it's out of a 89 LX, How do i date the block & heads? Thank's
    Being such an early car, its pretty rare, are you sure you want to mess with it like that

No I'm not sure? What would you do? I would like to have 300 to 350 HP? I know the AOD has to go. Where can i find the date codes on the 302's block & heads? Thanks

Me? I would keep it bone stock. But that's me.

-Mike

Thanks Mike I still have all the org. stuff that i replaced,except my stereo. I would be keeping the drivetrain. We all here know what it's like driving a 5.0 ,& what happens at stop lights, everyone wants to race, 165HP is not going to get it done, maybe in 84. I can always change this stuff back! This car will not be seeing the dragstrip. Is there anyway to tell if a drivetrain came from a Capri or a Mustang? I can buy my old 86 Capri's motor back. What was the best 5.0 engine?Did the white marchal fog lamp covers come on 85's? Thanks

Engine blocks and T5 transmission cases have a partial VIN (last eight characters) stamped on them. That partial VIN will tell you exactly which model year, assembly plant, and production sequence number the engine/transmission is from. The model year and assembly plant codes can tell you what model line the engine is from, because each assembly plant produced only specific model line(s) in any particular year. The production sequence number tells you which model the engine is from because Ford and Lincoln/Mercury production sequence numbers start with different digits, Ford goes from 100001 up to 599999 and L/M goes from 600001 up to 999999.

You can get a date code from a block or from heads but that just tells you when the part was cast. It does not tell you what vehicle the parts are from. You can get a date code from a transmission tag, if it's still attached to the transmission, but that just tells you when the gearbox was built. The tag does have an engineering number on it.

The "best" 5.0L engine is a relative question. What do you consider "best"? A lot of people consider '89-'92 H.O. 5.0L engine the "best" because they have the "best" cam and the "best" (forged) pistons. But cast (including hypereutectic) aluminum pistons are "better" than forged aluminum pistons if the inherent strength of forged pistons is wasted in an engine that will never see that power level. Cast hypereutectic aluminum pistons are used in factory engines that are rated at a higher horsepower level than forged-aluminum-piston'ed 5.0L Mustang engines ever were. Any H.O. 5.0L engine you'd buy now is going to be very old (last one was made 13 years ago) and probably in need of a rebuild and original parts replaced, so the "best" factory engine is a moot point.

'85/'86 Mustang/Capri Marchal foglamp covers should have been "Dark Charcoal", just like most of the exterior body trim.

Thanks Fox So i guess because my 85 Capri was so early it got the white ones. What are the better Heads,E5AE,E6SE,E7TE ? Can they all be used on mine? Thanks again

If you want to do modifications can you start a different thread in the right forum? This forum is for production and decoding questions. Thanks.

I am looking for some info on these engine codes,there on a 302 i have. Down by the starter E7TE CA ,the heads -under the valve covers is 8H23. On the block is a dial looking stamp,looks like a line coming from the 7 Thanks

E7TE-CA is the engineering number. 8H23 is a date code. The 'dial' is the foundry time and stamp.

E7T = '87 and later truck (and other models)
    8H23 = August 23, 1988

Thanks Fox So this is a truck motor,do you know the factory HP on this motor? Is this a roller engine? So this heads should be E7TE's,how can i tell? Is there any other markings on these heads? Thank again

No, the engine block was originally engineered for a Truck, but the same block could have been and was used in many different model lines. You will have to get the "serial number" (last six characters of a VIN of a vehicle the engine was originally in) from the top-rear of the block, on a flat pad, behind where the intake bolts down. Couldn't tell you the HP rating until you figure out what the engine was originally in, and what that particular model's engine was rated at the time.

The casting number on the heads is on the underside of one of the center intake ports. Only way to see that is to remove the heads from the block, or be able to read braille with the intake removed OR read it with a very small mirror.

Thanks Fox The block numbers are hard to make out but this is what they look to be HGA15206 the G might be C, the 2 might be 3, the 0 might be 8 . Don't know if this helps. On the center port of the heads it looks like a T ,But i can't sure until i take them of & clean them! Thanks

HCAxxxxx would be from an '87 F-series truck built in the Ontario Truck assembly plant.

H = 1987
    C = Ontario Truck assembly plant
    Axxxxx = production sequence number

'87-'91 5.0L F-series truck engines were rated at 185 HP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast